Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 12-05-2009, 02:21 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calilloyd is on a distinguished road
Bank: 624,385.10
Total Points: 655,119.63
For being one helluva poster!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 
Default Ali-Liston rematch:no fix

I've argued for years with people who claim that Ali stopped Liston in their rematch with a "phantom punch." This slow motion replay clearly shows a punch landed. Look at the way Listons, head, neck and back move as a result of the impact. Liston got hit by a punch he didn't see. Those are the punches that do the most damage and any boxer will tell you that. Liston by his own admission after the fight claimed, "It was a surprising punch". Any thoughts?

Calilloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-05-2009, 02:25 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,069,767.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilloyd View Post
I've argued for years with people who claim that Ali stopped Liston in their rematch with a "phantom punch." This slow motion replay clearly shows a punch landed. Look at the way Listons, head, neck and back move as a result of the impact. Liston got hit by a punch he didn't see. Those are the punches that do the most damage and any boxer will tell you that. Liston by his own admission after the fight claimed, "It was a surprising punch". Any thoughts?

Well yes the suprise punches are the ones that hurt also Liston did seem ok to continue but Walcott totally made a pigs ear of it.
Kind of hoping that is the story as I hate to think of fighters of of Liston's class tanking, but there is a smell about the fight.
GJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:46 PM #3
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zoneman99 is a jewel in the roughzoneman99 is a jewel in the roughzoneman99 is a jewel in the rough
Bank: 67,770.95
Total Points: 74,390.57

He did land a punch but I don't think it was a real knockout punch. I think the fight might've been fixed. But that doesn't necessarily mean Ali wouldn't have beaten him, anyway.

Even though I think it might've been fixed, I still have that poster of Ali standing over Liston and telling him to get up and a fight.
zoneman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:00 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,069,767.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoneman99 View Post
He did land a punch but I don't think it was a real knockout punch. I think the fight might've been fixed. But that doesn't necessarily mean Ali wouldn't have beaten him, anyway.

Even though I think it might've been fixed, I still have that poster of Ali standing over Liston and telling him to get up and a fight.
Yes didn't seem to have a lot of power behind it and Liston had a great chin.
GJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
ali-liston, rematch:no

User Tag List