Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 AM #1
I to your mom..

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 16,627,483.14
Total Points: 97,300,811.46
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Default Increasing strength.

You ever wrestle with one of your friends who were about the same size as you, but they were just physically stronger than you?

How do you train for strength? How do you train for strength and not muscle, because that's what I'm more interested in. I don't really want to get all bulky, I just want to stay the way I am and become stronger, is that possible?
jack_the_rippuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 AM #2
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 44,242.06

Well leave the weights and do only calisthenics, including things like handstand press-ups and neck bridging(do the latter very carefully however). Add plyometrics to this.

Also do things like you mentioned above, try freestyle or greco roman wrestling.

Also chopping wood, lifting uncoventional things like logs or large rocks. A good thing to try is farmers walks, where you hold two heavey dumbells in either hand and fast walk 50m, turn then and fast walk 50m the other way.

Or get a hold of some sandbags. Grab one, run 50m, trun and run 50back, rest then repeat.
jeffmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:21 AM #3
Contender

boxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 24,158.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_rippuh
You ever wrestle with one of your friends who were about the same size as you, but they were just physically stronger than you?

How do you train for strength? How do you train for strength and not muscle, because that's what I'm more interested in. I don't really want to get all bulky, I just want to stay the way I am and become stronger, is that possible?
Do the prison work out minus the weights. Sit ups, push-ups, squats. Use your body weight and you won't get big but you will get more cut and definitely stronger. Or you could use light weights and a lot of reps until you hit failure. I am ususally that guy that people who are pretty much the same size as me underestimate my power. I have just been doing this type of working out for many years and though I may not look very cut or big I have done it since a young age so I think the mucle is well conditioned and more importantly, I have learned how to use the muscles in a well coordinated way to get more strength than someone who may have a slightly bigger build. Please note, by no way am I saying I am a strength expert or that I am bruce lee type cut. This is just how I have trained and I have found it to be effective.
boxernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:22 AM #4
Up and Comer

jeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond reputejeffmills has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 44,242.06

Oh and lots of running and interval training eg.sprinting will give you plenty of explosiveness.
jeffmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:22 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 46,277.34

It's certainly possible to become much stronger with a limited weigth gain. You have to stay in the low reps (1-6), and refrain from training to failure. Say you're doing 3 sets of 6 reps on a given excercise. You should actually be able to do 7 or 8 reps on the weight you're choosing for 6 reps. This limits the muscle breakdown, that is the main factor in inducing hypertrophy (excercise wise, cal intake and other factors are equally important).
PunchDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:32 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that what you're saying is wrong.... However, bodyweight work can be just as effective for hypertrophy as barbells and dumbells. It's all about rep schemes and whether you go to failure or not. Look at olympic Gymnasts. Those guys have arms most bodybuilders would die (or shoot up) for. Generally they use only bodyweight strength training. On the other hand, if you take a look at lower weight class olympic weight lifters, they're really not that big, muscle wise, but they're STRONG!!
There's a lifter at my gym who's about 150 lbs., like me. He's taller and therefore skinnier than me, and he just squatted 352 lbs. the other day! Weightlifters never train over 6 reps (usually 1-3) and the result is great strength and limited size (remember, they compete in weight classes as well.).
Old 03-21-2005, 01:25 PM #7
Contender

pinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,704.00

Interesting stuff, punch drunk.
A good (and 100% safe) exercise is to use water resistance in a swimming pool. Go to the shallow part of the pool, stay where the water level is about your shoulders. Then u can simulate weighlifting exercises and develop all the upper body.
The faster u move ur hands, the greater the resistance so you cannot hurt yourself and u can increase the difficulty as u progress.
also shadowbox under water can help u develop power and strength on the inside, I think the great hagler was doing it.
and there are always some nice ladies around to watch if you need motivation for the pool
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
pinaldino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 PM #8
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,182,463,077,491,980,800.00
Total Points: 4,182,463,077,492,166,656.00
Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 
10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear 
You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly 
To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

You can lift weights for strength without bulking yourself up. I would actually recommend using weights. Just do high repetition with low weight. burn that muscle out man, build its endurance and build its strength. You wont get bulked up from this, your muscles will just get leaner, tighter and stronger.

The push ups and chin ups and all of that is a given, always do those..............Rockin'
Rockin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 AM #9
Contender

pinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond reputepinaldino has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,704.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1
You can lift weights for strength without bulking yourself up. I would actually recommend using weights. Just do high repetition with low weight. burn that muscle out man, build its endurance and build its strength. You wont get bulked up from this, your muscles will just get leaner, tighter and stronger.

The push ups and chin ups and all of that is a given, always do those..............Rockin'
Just to make sure...what do you call high reps? like 20, 30, more?
and do you keep going until failure?
pinaldino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:44 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1

If you lift weights like that, you're NOT really building any strength. Only thing you're working on is muscle endurance, and in my opinion you're better of working on heavy bags, sparring and other more boxing related stuff. That's where you get your endurance. Low weights are a waste of time for boxers. You HAVE to lift heavy (0-100% of 1RM) to get stronger. Read my earlier posts on how to do this without bulking up.

Read up on your training theory Rock...
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List