Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JB16 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 31,798.80
Default Larry Holmes On His Fight With Ali.

When the Holmes-Ali match was announced, the oddsmakers made me a 3-1 favorite remembered Holmes.

The odds would narrow by a lot, as money came in backing Ali. That was understanble. The publics affection for and support of Muhammad ran deep. But anybody who wagered on Ali for reasons other than sentiment- who truly belived he was still the fighter he had been in his prime- was deluded.

Ali had not been the same since he and smoking Joe went at it in Manila in 75. The fight had seen the last flicker of his genius. And even then he was an athlete in decline.

In fact, one of his corner men, the doctor Ferdie Pacheco, had abandoned the Ali camp in 77 as a kind of statement. He felt that Ali risked permanenet injury by continuing to fight and should retire.

In the five years since the Thrilla in Manila, Ali had gotten victories that owed more to his popularity than to his performance, against Jimmy Young(April 76) and against Ken Norton(September 76). And after that he had only gotten older and slower, incapble of the kind of movement and volume of punching that had made him unique among Heavyweights.

Never mind that he had regained the title for the third time against Leon Spinks in 78. Spinks was a boxing beginner, and the fight Ali waged against him was a nonfight, with Ali and holding and playacting at aggression. He'd bull****ted his way to victory, and everyone pretended it was the greatest thing since the wright brothers got there plain up at Kitty Hawk.

Hell, Spinks had had eight fights when he'd beaten Ali. He was raw and inexperienced- a boxer who'd been lucky to get a draw against Scott Le Doux in a earlier fight. Yet folks wanted to view Ali as still being the man who could float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. It was emperor's clothes. Nobody wanted to say Ali had been stripped naked of the gift he'd had.

It put me in a tricky situation. A no win situation, really. What would it prove if I beat a 38 year old Ali? Not much. People would do an about face on Muhammad and say, ''Well it wasn't the real Ali''

And if I lost- as impossible as that seemed to me- it would be disastrous. It would negate and nullify all that I had accomplished. I told the press that if that were to happen, I would quit the sport.

Yet what could I do? I belived Ali had no business fighting me. He was far past his prime and, I sincerely belived, would be batting practise for me. I did not relish the idea of beating him up in public view.

If, however I tried to wriggle out of a fight with him, ot would make me look lame- as if I was afraid. Afraid? Please. Since the mid seventies, I belived I could whip the man, and suspected he had come to the same conclussion too. How else to account for his avoiding me as a time I was a world- ranked fighter, and instead taking on chumps like Wepner, Jean Pierre Coopman, Richard Dunn and Evangelista.

Ali was my friend. I was fond of the man, and grateful for his help in my career. He was no saint, even if here at the end of his career, folks were beginning to think of him as one.

I had seen moments of bad behavior- abusing sparring parthers and taunting opponents cruelly. I had seen Ali who could be self absorbed and occassionally cruel those close to him. Yet for the most part he was a good man, generous and enormous fun to be around.

''Larry Holmes''
JB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
hayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond reputehayZ has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,000,035,630,392.90
links - Sir TomJones for posting the truth about Zionism - Freedom. No Message - -jose- 

Great article.
hayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM #3
06-15

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,011,277,744.20
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

Holmes to Ali is what Kobe is to Jordan. He admires the man but deep down inside he always tried to be greater.
BKM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM #4
Fυck ESB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
ABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond reputeABOSWORTH has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 74,524,115,810,127,101,952.00
Total Points: 74,524,115,810,136,096,768.00
Look!! Up in the sky!!...It's a bird!!...It's a plane!... - Bendigo A - S a m u r a i B - S a m u r a i O - S a m u r a i S - S a m u r a i 
! - S a m u r a i ! - S a m u r a i LOL - S a m u r a i 3 More... - S a m u r a i And... - S a m u r a i 
I'm done. - S a m u r a i cheers! - -PedoBear- Thanks for helping me out! - Stoppage - Stoppage No Message - -veteran420- No Message - -veteran420- 
Respect to a true gent. - S a m u r a i No Message - -veteran420- A superman for the superman homie, take care you smart mothafukker - Tha_Greatest Thanks for the points champ. - Rip Chudd Happy Belated birthday - -jose- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - !! AI-Holmes!! Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - mangler Childhood Cancer - D.I.E.S.E.L Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Breakbeat 
Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - BattlingNelson Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NewYork Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - ??? Head and Neck Cancer - S a m u r a i Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - RED ARMY 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Jackal Childhood Cancer - Grand Champ Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - -veteran420- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ИATAS206 

Good read. Thanks for posting that.
ABOSWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM #5
Banned

mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 45,701.24

what is holmes trying to say,any one could of beat ali at that time,ali should of retired after the foreman fight,if holmes fought ali when both were in their primes ali would of one by first round kayo,holmes is lucky to have even been a champion,if he were fighting today he would not even be in the top 100
mrboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM #6
The Real Deal

Mr Boxing9 will become famous soon enoughMr Boxing9 will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 13,738.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboxer View Post
what is holmes trying to say,any one could of beat ali at that time,ali should of retired after the foreman fight,if holmes fought ali when both were in their primes ali would of one by first round kayo,holmes is lucky to have even been a champion,if he were fighting today he would not even be in the top 100
you are a ****ing idiot! it's people like u why this forum is crap!
Mr Boxing9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM #7
Interim Champion

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
stefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond reputestefjonno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 54,778.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboxer View Post

Lol nonsense.

Great read, Larry speaks the truth.
stefjonno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM #8
Banned

larry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond reputelarry x has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,346,938.24
Total Points: 1,873,701.39
A lucky charm to help you stay wu sah homey - mangler Money Mayweather! - Dorian I can't give you green K, so... hopefully this will do. - DWiens421 Champagne for my bro Larry - Kevin Jesus Keep your head up, Larry! - S a m u r a i 
Great Poster - deanrw cool off with a refreshing drink Don larrysmith....Lefty - LEFTYGUNZZ Larry! This round's on me my my nigguh - mangler one of our best posters - ~Tunney Fukk your haters. You're better than they are. Sip this homey. - mangler 
Have a beer on me larry! - Spacey1991 A slice for the man - mangler Have a tuna melt Larry - mangler Make that an apple and a tuna melt lol - mangler to money, to the mafia, to life. - Ether 
good stabil poster, have a cold one on me. - Grand Champ we fresh! - Dorian 10k bro....congrats - MELLY-MEL... for my family, larry - Pretty Boy32 my brother Larry - ASH KETCHUM 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JM1 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i 

good article..ali took that fight simply for money..but could holmes beat ali in the mid 70's???not sure about that...
larry x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM #9
bo jungle

Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,819,340,619,492,413.00
Total Points: 6,821,617,620,010,802.00
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
GO BUCS! - Hi Rudyo! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Childhood Cancer - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaman View Post
Holmes to Ali is what Kobe is to Jordan. He admires the man but deep down inside he always tried to be greater.
That is a really good analogy as far as style as well. Just like Kobe plays a lot like Jordan but isn't as great, Holmes fought a lot like Ali but was never quite as good.
bojangles1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM #10
MMA FAN

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
American_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican_Ninja has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 219,769,332.16
Total Points: 219,888,218.30
Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? 
Send a message via Yahoo to American_Ninja

Ali abused sparring partners? LoL, thats funny.
Isnt that why he paid them?

Tyson abused sparring partners, forreal.
American_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
ali., fight, holmes, larry

User Tag List