Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,031,785.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 
Default Did Tim Witherspoon Beat Larry Holmes ?..

Hi to all.. I've read many posts recently, inferring that Carl Williams came the closest to beating Holmes, pre Spinks, of course..

I'd say an argument can be made that Terrible Tim gave him a harder fight over 12 than The Truth did over 15.. Many observers at the time, including myself, thought that Tim won.. And lets not forget, this was against the more prime 1983 version of Holmes..

Be interesting to read your thoughts and opinions...
Is it just me? Or was 'Spoon' robbed?...
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM #2
Slicker than your average

Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,747,163,259.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
Hi to all.. I've read many posts recently, inferring that Carl Williams came the closest to beating Holmes, pre Spinks, of course..

I'd say an argument can be made that Terrible Tim gave him a harder fight over 12 than The Truth did over 15.. Many observers at the time, including myself, thought that Tim won.. And lets not forget, this was against the more prime 1983 version of Holmes..

To be honest i did not score the fight but i thought Larry won because he was more active round by round. Witherspoon did too much waiting and let Holmes dictate the pace, he finished strong though did Witherspoon to what i remember.

I thought Williams pushed Holmes a lot more personally. Holmes actually had to dig down to beat Williams.

That said i thought Griffin beat Toney but when i re watched a week ago and actually scored it this time i had it 8-4 Toney, it just goes to show that if you dont actually watch whats landing you can be fooled, Griffin had Toney fighting his kind of fight and he was dictating the pace of the fight which led me to believe he won the fight but having watched the fight back he did not connect as much as i thought he did and Toney landed the more solid punches.

I would have to watch Witherspoon and Holmes and score it next time.
Dynamite Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:01 AM #3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Benncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 444,673.93
Cheers for green k man - The Jackal Cheers! - Carnivore 

Sure **** he did! He had Holmes on the verge of knockout in the 9th and outshone him in the majority of the rounds. Isn't it proof enough that one judge scored it for Witherspoon, the underdog?
Benncollinsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
Sure **** he did! He had Holmes on the verge of knockout in the 9th and outshone him in the majority of the rounds. Isn't it proof enough that one judge scored it for Witherspoon, the underdog?
Yep... That's how I remember it.. A split decision that went the wrong way.. Can remember Larry being interviewed after the fight, and it was pointed out, that most people thought he'd lost.. He wasn't at all dismissive, & just responded by saying, it was up to the judges.. I got the distinct impression, that Holmes felt he'd been very lucky.. Meanwhile Witherspoon was ranting furiously, and claiming victory in the face of a robbery..
Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 PM #5
Banned

Benncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 444,673.93
Cheers for green k man - The Jackal Cheers! - Carnivore 

I'll have to watch it again if I can find it, since I've last seen it a year ago, but I gave Witherspoon 7 or 8 rounds.
Benncollinsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM #6
Slicker than your average

Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,747,163,259.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Yep... That's how I remember it.. A split decision that went the wrong way.. Can remember Larry being interviewed after the fight, and it was pointed out, that most people thought he'd lost.. He wasn't at all dismissive, & just responded by saying, it was up to the judges.. I got the distinct impression, that Holmes felt he'd been very lucky.. Meanwhile Witherspoon was ranting furiously, and claiming victory in the face of a robbery..
I dont think that is much of a yard stick though, great fighters are never satisfied when they under-perform, look at Roy Jones face after the Tarver fight, you would think Roy knew he lost but he clearly did enough to win the fight, he was just disappointed in his performance
Dynamite Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 185,172,327.29
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:

i had Holmes beating Spoon 7-5
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
I dont think that is much of a yard stick though, great fighters are never satisfied when they under-perform, look at Roy Jones face after the Tarver fight, you would think Roy knew he lost but he clearly did enough to win the fight, he was just disappointed in his performance
Yes, he was dissapointed, and rightly so.. He'd been exposed somewhat, and didn't have the aura of an undisputed champ that night..
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 41,196,280.05
Most knowledgeable poster on NSB - BatTheMan Boxing Guru - DWiens421 4k posts. Keep up the great work! - danc1984 To an excellent poster - JAB5239 No Message - Old Coward 
you're the man - Dambala For being a great poster - -IronMike- 

I had it 115-114 for Witherspoon. It was very close IMO so I don't have much of a problem with the decision, but the scorecard of 118-111 is pretty outrageous.
Thread Stealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 227,643.87
Great job on my assignment. Here's another book for your collection. - BattlingNelson 

Quote:

The Spoon fight was extremely close. Williams thoroughly out boxed Holmes and in my opinion was blatantly robbed. Two judges gave Holmes 11 rounds!!!!!! I could only find 6 rounds to give to Larry.
1SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
beat, holmes, larry, witherspoon

User Tag List