Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JB16 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,829.80
Default Jack Dempsey vs Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento

At one stage Jack Dempsey thought Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento had the making of a champion. Dempsey at one time try to persuade Galento to his Montana ranch to toughen him up. Tony gibbed. ''It'II do you the world of good'' argued Dempsey. You will be right away from night clubs and booze'' What's that said Galento, ''No booze?'' Dat's just stoopid, Jack, Booze makes a guy strong''

Due to Dempsey having so much faith in Galento, Ray Arcel agreed to train him. ''I told Jack it was a waste of time and money but he was convinced that Galento could be shaped into a world beaten and since we were good friends I agreed said Arcel.

Right from the start it didnt work, Galento was just bone lazy. Half the time he didnt even bother to turn up at the gym, and when he did he only loafed around. I soon got tired of this and told Dempsey so. ''Take the guy somewere else, Jack I said ''He's driving us all crazy around here''

On afternoon, Dempsey strolled quietly into Stillman's gym on eight avenue and after passing the time of day with several old pals, walked up on to the balcony while Galento was going through the motions of working out. He was fatter than ever, hopelessly out of condition and quite obviously doing nothing about it.

Anyway he didn't see Dempsey and continued waddling lazily around the ring, clowning wisecracking and grinning as he fooled with his sparring parthers. After watching a couple of rounds Dempsey came down to ringside. He was wearing a beautifully - cut light grey suit, tan and white shoes, and white silk shirt and when Tony caught a sight of him, he waved a glove at the ex champ.

''Hiya'' Jack he grinned. ''You look like a million bucks dis afternnon'' Dempsey gave him a mean look, ''never mind how I look, you big bum he said, lets see you do some work''

Galento must have thought he was joking, said Arcel, because he made no atempt to speed up his work and carried on ambling around until Dempsey blew up. ''Have you a pair of Gloves Ray? said Dempsey. Then taking off his coat, he stripped right down to his white silk, monogrammed underpants and vaulted into the ring.

''Now Tony'' he said ''it's you and me. I'II show you how we used to do it'' He began huming a little tune - and old Dempsey mannerism- and then, as Galento backed away, he flashed into action. Jack was turned forty, but his body was as lean and tanned as ever, and for three memorable minutes we saw the old Dempsey, the muderous, tearaway Manassa Mauler of the 1920's.

He ripped punchers into Galento's podgy torso from all angles, split his lips with a terrific left and sent the blood spurting from his nose. ''Lay Off Jack'' Galento gasped as he staggered backwards vainly trying to cover up. But Dempsey showed him no mercy, he chased after him until I called time said Arcel.

Still breathing easily Dempsey ducked under the ropes and began to dress, while Galento stood shaking his head in a semi daze and trying to wipe the blood from his face with the back of his gloves.

When dressed, Dempsey gave him one contemptuous look. ''That's how we used to fight Galento he said. ''Now am through with you, you can find yourself another manager'' and another trainer said Arcel.

You were right Ray, it was a waste of time trying to make a champ out of that chump said Dempsey.
JB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM #2
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
louis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 13,035.82

tony was one tough hardhitting man, but dempsey was a black panther .
louis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 AM #3
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 231,794,986,064,265,216,000.00
Total Points: 231,794,986,064,265,314,304.00
For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 
Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A 
For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB16 View Post
At one stage Jack Dempsey thought Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento had the making of a champion. Dempsey at one time try to persuade Galento to his Montana ranch to toughen him up. Tony gibbed. ''It'II do you the world of good'' argued Dempsey. You will be right away from night clubs and booze'' What's that said Galento, ''No booze?'' Dat's just stoopid, Jack, Booze makes a guy strong''

Due to Dempsey having so much faith in Galento, Ray Arcel agreed to train him. ''I told Jack it was a waste of time and money but he was convinced that Galento could be shaped into a world beaten and since we were good friends I agreed said Arcel.

Right from the start it didnt work, Galento was just bone lazy. Half the time he didnt even bother to turn up at the gym, and when he did he only loafed around. I soon got tired of this and told Dempsey so. ''Take the guy somewere else, Jack I said ''He's driving us all crazy around here''

On afternoon, Dempsey strolled quietly into Stillman's gym on eight avenue and after passing the time of day with several old pals, walked up on to the balcony while Galento was going through the motions of working out. He was fatter than ever, hopelessly out of condition and quite obviously doing nothing about it.

Anyway he didn't see Dempsey and continued waddling lazily around the ring, clowning wisecracking and grinning as he fooled with his sparring parthers. After watching a couple of rounds Dempsey came down to ringside. He was wearing a beautifully - cut light grey suit, tan and white shoes, and white silk shirt and when Tony caught a sight of him, he waved a glove at the ex champ.

''Hiya'' Jack he grinned. ''You look like a million bucks dis afternnon'' Dempsey gave him a mean look, ''never mind how I look, you big bum he said, lets see you do some work''

Galento must have thought he was joking, said Arcel, because he made no atempt to speed up his work and carried on ambling around until Dempsey blew up. ''Have you a pair of Gloves Ray? said Dempsey. Then taking off his coat, he stripped right down to his white silk, monogrammed underpants and vaulted into the ring.

''Now Tony'' he said ''it's you and me. I'II show you how we used to do it'' He began huming a little tune - and old Dempsey mannerism- and then, as Galento backed away, he flashed into action. Jack was turned forty, but his body was as lean and tanned as ever, and for three memorable minutes we saw the old Dempsey, the muderous, tearaway Manassa Mauler of the 1920's.

He ripped punchers into Galento's podgy torso from all angles, split his lips with a terrific left and sent the blood spurting from his nose. ''Lay Off Jack'' Galento gasped as he staggered backwards vainly trying to cover up. But Dempsey showed him no mercy, he chased after him until I called time said Arcel.

Still breathing easily Dempsey ducked under the ropes and began to dress, while Galento stood shaking his head in a semi daze and trying to wipe the blood from his face with the back of his gloves.

When dressed, Dempsey gave him one contemptuous look. ''That's how we used to fight Galento he said. ''Now am through with you, you can find yourself another manager'' and another trainer said Arcel.

You were right Ray, it was a waste of time trying to make a champ out of that chump said Dempsey.
Nice piece of history. I'd never heard that before. Thank you.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 185,220,561.71
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB16 View Post

Thankyou i love reading little tit-bits on boxing history
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,045,565.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Good post.. If Dempsey/Arcell could'nt motivate him, he must've been a slob..
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,825.20
Total Points: 1,574,180.75

That was a great story! What a fighter Dempsey was!
cotto16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
''two, dempsey, galento, jack, ton'', tony

User Tag List