Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 09-26-2009, 11:15 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sammyishere1 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 19,889.25
Default Shin Splints Help

I've been having pains from my left shin/calf in training recently, especially when I skipping and run.
I have been icing it and avoiding running on hard surfaces, however I still have some pain.
Anyone have good recommendations for treating it?
sammyishere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM #2
SAN JUAN

Del Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 626,161,402.24
Total Points: 628,387,837.43
BORICUA!!!! - williamhvx1 a bet is a bet, gracias! - Perro have some San Miguel to our new superstar JML! - Papa Ace u da man!! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
WaR Cotto! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 

Rest it out, try do some other form of cardio.
Del Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 AM #3
Contender

austinlarg will become famous soon enoughaustinlarg will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 25,365.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyishere1 View Post
I've been having pains from my left shin/calf in training recently, especially when I skipping and run.
I have been icing it and avoiding running on hard surfaces, however I still have some pain.
Anyone have good recommendations for treating it?

Yeah I get a lot of people that come into work asking about this. There's a few things you can do.

1 - Consider the shoes you use to run. You get what you pay for with running shoes. Understand what brand it is and what they specialize in. This is probly the biggest thing.

2 - Try changing your footstrike when you run. A lot of heel-toe runners get shin splints. Change it one day and try running just on your toes. I've switched to this about 6 months ago and haven't had shin splints since.

3 - If you run outside, run on asphalt rather than the sidewalk.

4 - Keep your steps light when you run. The harder you step, the more shock you send up your leg.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.
austinlarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:32 AM #4
Banned

Zhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond reputeZhaakal has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 12,867,863.54
Total Points: 12,927,974.13
Childhood Cancer - -Blackout- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinlarg View Post
Yeah I get a lot of people that come into work asking about this. There's a few things you can do.

1 - Consider the shoes you use to run. You get what you pay for with running shoes. Understand what brand it is and what they specialize in. This is probly the biggest thing.

2 - Try changing your footstrike when you run. A lot of heel-toe runners get shin splints. Change it one day and try running just on your toes. I've switched to this about 6 months ago and haven't had shin splints since.

3 - If you run outside, run on asphalt rather than the sidewalk.

4 - Keep your steps light when you run. The harder you step, the more shock you send up your leg.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.
Good post dude. (Y)
Zhaakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 AM #5
Contender

JayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 52,930.30

Austinlarg pretty much nailed it.

One more thing though, aside from running you are very prone to getting it from skipping, especially since we tend to skip for about 20, 25, 30 minutes a night and in our boxing boots which are flat soled with practically no shock absorbing cushioning, unlike our running shoes. Skipping also promotes light footed movements which tension in our shins, alongside the repetitive impacts. So don't count out skipping.

To help avoid it from skipping

1) Nail your technique, don't do it on your toes it's more on the balls of your feet
2) Try and avoid staying on one spot, move a little. I'm not saying dance around the gym skipping, but move an inch or two each way every so often.
3) If you feel the onset of acute shin splints, skip in your running trainers. It's a little harder, they're chunkier and clumsier but you'll get used to it within 1 round. Their cushioning will prevent the shin splints properly developing.
JayCoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 PM #6
Amateur

Jab101 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 291.79

The pain is occuring because the muscle in your lower leg is not flexible enugh to with stand your muscle, so the muscle there is too big and your body is over compensating for the lack of flexability, therefore it is ripping off your leg (hence the pain). I suggest finding some stretches to do each day, it will take about a week or two of stretching then you will be all good!
Jab101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:36 PM #7
Banned

Leakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these partsLeakbeak is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 50,915.11
Here you go - ??? Here's a TV - Izrock 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Savino 

Consult your physician, not a bunch of laymen on a forum. Seriously! Ask alot of questions when you do and give them all the info they need
Leakbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:32 PM #8
Contender

IcedBlood will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 60,714.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakbeak View Post
Consult your physician, not a bunch of laymen on a forum. Seriously! Ask alot of questions when you do and give them all the info they need
Most posters in the training section are am. fighters who will probably have suffered from shin splints in the past and know how to stop the pain + give advice on not getting shin splints again. Why waste time going to a physician when he can get all the info he needs from here?
IcedBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 PM #9
SAN JUAN

Del Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 626,161,402.24
Total Points: 628,387,837.43
BORICUA!!!! - williamhvx1 a bet is a bet, gracias! - Perro have some San Miguel to our new superstar JML! - Papa Ace u da man!! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
WaR Cotto! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab101 View Post
The pain is occuring because the muscle in your lower leg is not flexible enugh to with stand your muscle, so the muscle there is too big and your body is over compensating for the lack of flexability, therefore it is ripping off your leg (hence the pain). I suggest finding some stretches to do each day, it will take about a week or two of stretching then you will be all good!
There you go, that makes a lot more sense than working thru the healing process.
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
Del Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:33 PM #10
New York City sucks

Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Derranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 157,031,823,222,012,800.00
Total Points: 157,034,933,158,548,800.00
Shit, sorry. I mean: Happy Hanukkah! (No offence intended) - Flab Feliz Navidad - El Mustang merry christmas jew.... - dj emzz Happy Holidays bro! - led Happy holidays Mario! - led* 
Feel sweeter this Friday honey - Weltschmerz Happy Hannukkah! - led pretend it's JAB - Weltschmerz Official Queer of the Year Award - Weltschmerz Happy Birthday fine sir.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Have a beer,can't green you again lol - HughJass Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! You da man - Beercules Happy Holidays! - MDPopescu Happy New Year, Jew Boy - Rocky... 
Happy New Year lad!! All the best for 2016!! - Pretty Boy1 :lol1: - -jose- wut up jew? - Kuyukut cheers holmes - Mike D My bad, mate. Cheers! - .:: JSFD26 ::. 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Rocky... Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - BoxingPromoter Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - BostonGuy World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - PorterIsFuture Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - BM dnobagaV 

I get it all the time. You gotta take time off. I got shin splints real bad one time. It was to the point where I couldn't even put weight on my right leg and foot to throw a power punch.

One thing that helps a little bit is rotating your foot, that strecthes your shins a bit.
Derranged is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
shin, splints

User Tag List