Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM #1
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
josh-hill is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 82,059.15
Default want to start boxing

well im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. i want to start boxing but cant afford a membership yet. i realy need to get into shape before i start as well. i have a gym membership and things. i dont want to compete but willi need a membership to a boxing gym? between now and when i can afford it what should i do to get in shape? my punch is shockingly weak, what should i do to increase explosive power? and will running and bodyweight excercises be enough to increase my stamina? thanks
josh-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM #2
Lion of Zion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
rockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10.33
Total Points: 209,459.74

do h.i.i.t and plyometric pushups
also do sprints
rockymarciano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM #3
Contender

cheers, correct me if im wrong but is hiit high intensity internal training? do you do that with all excercises or just caardio or even just running/ jogging? and are ushups the only stregnth building excercise i need to do? thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM #4
Banned

mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 46,234.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-hill View Post
well im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. i want to start boxing but cant afford a membership yet. i realy need to get into shape before i start as well. i have a gym membership and things. i dont want to compete but willi need a membership to a boxing gym? between now and when i can afford it what should i do to get in shape? my punch is shockingly weak, what should i do to increase explosive power? and will running and bodyweight excercises be enough to increase my stamina? thanks
no on all counts,you are not fit or ready to join a gym,stay at home and do sit ups,push ups,and stand in front of a mirror and throw punches,start of with jab,jab,right and repeat after a couple of days change your punches around and start to throw your punches at a faster speed,after 3 months of this you will be fit,confident,and will be readty to join a boxing gym and start hitting the bags,heavy and speed bags,good luck
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
mrboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 AM #5
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,512,212,965,446.22
Total Points: 2,512,212,989,672.68
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-hill View Post
Welcome, before i say anything i'll just warn you to not listen to anything that mrboxer says, he is a troll, knows nothing about boxing and should not be taken seriously.

First off, if you want to start boxing you will need to go to a gym simply to learn the actual sport, i mean, you have to start somewhere and learn technique in order to be able to put it in practice.

That being said there are tons of things you can do at home to get you in better boxing shape. Like you said the body weight exercises are a great place to start, push ups, sit ups, dips, pull ups, chin ups, and running are all great.

To increase explosive power there are a ton of things you can do, a lot of them will require a medicine ball, so if you have the budget i would suggest getting one.

You can do plyometric push ups, also know as clap push ups. The clapping part isn't important, it's basically just a push up in which you put enough force to lift your hands of the ground.

With a medecine ball there are tons of stuff you can do, throws, slams, overhead throws, ect.

And don't worry about not having a hard punch, i'm not saying you will be a knock out artist tommorow, but once you learn the technique and start training you will see a lot of improvement in that area.
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 AM #6
Banned

mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts

you must be mad what are you trying to say,get with the program and stop copying my posts,if you want to know any thing about boxing ask me and i will tell you
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 PM #7
Contender

thanks guys. can i just ask why people sugest BW excercises rather than doing a gym workout?

Last edited by josh-hill; 09-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM #8
Banned

what are you going to gain from curls,your arms will get bigger but curls do not make you a good boxer,jab,jab,right,dance,bob and weave,jab,jab,fight,do these for a couple of weeks and you will see good punch improvement for starters
Old 09-16-2009, 02:54 PM #9
Contender

ok then. i still dont understand how pushups hp with that either but thanks for the help. ill get jabbing. p.s. i dont meen just curls and bench press, i did meen a proper workout.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM #10
Banned

good for you,jab,jab,right,this is the way i started and last week in the bar i kayoed the mouthy bouncer with this easy but effective combo

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxing, start

User Tag List