Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 AM #1
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Benncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 435,040.93
Cheers for green k man - The Jackal Cheers! - Carnivore 
Default Whats so great about Pernell Whitaker??

Ok, I know he had a fantastic defense. But you gotta have more than just that and a few tricks to be worthy of the title ATG. I just don't see how he qualifies for that title. He lost to DLH and Trinidad, two best WWs of the 90's. And I know he lost clearly, everybody that says anything else is talking BS!

I think he is overated. He didn't beat that many great fighters. Who did he beat? Roger Mayweather, who imo was not a great fighter, just very good. And he floored Whitaker once in that fight and made it close. JC Chavez...I dunno, I haven't seen that fight really but I know its considered a controversial draw. Judging by the comments made on the DLH fight I am sceptical about the controversy.

Last edited by Benncollinsaad; 09-11-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Benncollinsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Silencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,891,075,719,949,278.50
Total Points: 1,891,075,724,349,451.00
You're a great poster man!  The site is lucky to have you. - abosworth You're my hero!! :D - Spiegelo It's a pleasure to read your posts. - The_Bringer boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez boxingsences best happy xmas man lets drink to a good 1 good health - The Jackal 
Have an apple bro - danc1984 Happy 09 to one of NSB's finest! - KrisSilver Too many good things to say. But in short, a humble &amp;amp; very knowledgeable poster. - J. HITTER One serious poster of BoxingScene FROM: - FasTHarD Have a beer, for one of the best Posters - Golden Boy 360 
Apple for the teacher, - mitruth from one intelligent  person to another ;) - Massage Queen Floyd Mayweather  Greatest fighter of his era - Malcolm. Boxing Scences Finest Happy bithday - The Jackal To one of Boxing Scene's Elite. - Izrock 
For the fight man - The Jackal For one of Boxingscene's finest! - Shadows No Message - Mucus ATG poster - Mucus Have a slice - Juan Gabriel 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Jackal Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 

Whitaker fought a lot of top 10 guys during his time, unified a division, was considered one of the pound for pound best for years and didn't have a legitimate loss until he started slipping and was high on coke.

I would also suggest more of his fights to see why he isn't just a HOFer but an ATG.
Silencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM #3
Monster

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Doctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,800,638,140,721,280.00
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Toney Loc 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
Ok, I know he had a fantastic defense. But you gotta have more than just that and a few tricks to be worthy of the title ATG. I just don't see how he qualifies for that title. He lost to DLH and Trinidad, two best WWs of the 90's. And I know he lost clearly, everybody that says anything else is talking BS!

I think he is overated. He didn't beat that many great fighters. Who did he beat? Roger Mayweather, who imo was not a great fighter, just very good. And he floored Whitaker once in that fight and made it close. JC Chavez...I dunno, I haven't seen that fight really but I know its considered a controversial draw. Judging by the comments made on the DLH fight I am sceptical about the controversy.
Educate yourself, please.
Doctor_Tenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 PM #4
Banned

Benncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond reputeBenncollinsaad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dominicano. View Post
Educate yourself, please.
I suppose you should do that to me? Prick.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post
Whitaker fought a lot of top 10 guys during his time, unified a division, was considered one of the pound for pound best for years and didn't have a legitimate loss until he started slipping and was high on coke.

I would also suggest more of his fights to see why he isn't just a HOFer but an ATG.
He's only considered ATG in America. But its the same, since its Americans who make the ATGs. Furthermore, he was a dirty fighter who was threw a lot of low blows and kept shoving DLH.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

catalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond reputecatalinul has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,249,723,113.43
Total Points: 2,251,452,262.48
Cool poster. Always right on the $ - mangler good poster - JM1 Youre cracking me up in the Zelenoff threads - Kevin Jesus Cheers for that Augusts fight bud - The Surgeon 

Wow,where do you get this?

Whitaker is a top 15-20 ATG IMO.

He was p4p no 1 for a long time,first undisputed champ at lightweight since Duran,won titles at 140,147 and 154.
He beat extremely good fighters in Chavez,Nelson and had plenty of other very good wins,Ramirez(where he was robbed in one fight),Haugen,McGirt(twice),Vasquez,Rivera(twice), Paez,ec.

You gotta take into account most his wins were dominant shoutout wins against top competition while he was going up in weight and had little KO power,that combined with his style of not running made him awesome.
Why even bring up de la Hoya and Trinidad?He was past his prime with Oscar and still arguably beat him and he was really done by Triinidad and still went the distance.
catalinul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM #7
Monster

Doctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond repute
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Toney Loc 

You said that Roger Mayweather's K.D of Whitaker made it close? I can clearly see you didn't watch that fight, wasn't even a close fight. That was a dominating performance by Whitaker, the K.D didn't do anything. Then you admitted to not seeing Whitaker vs JCC, no debate, that was a clear victory against JCC, one of the greatest Jr WWs of all time. Aren't you the same dude who tried to convince us DLH clearly beat Whitaker, in that same thread, so many people thought otherwise. To answer your question, he beat...

1. Azumah Nelson
2. JLR
3. JCC
4. JCV
5. Greg Haugen
6. Buddy McGirt
7. Hurtado
8. Paez
9. (In My Opinion) DLH

In the DLH fight, commentators were already talking about Whitaker's slippage. Yet there's a problem with losing to one of the greatest WWs in Felix Trinidad 2 years after that? Not trying to go hard on you, but don't call overrated what you know nothing about.

Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 09-11-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Silencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,891,075,719,949,278.50
Total Points: 1,891,075,724,349,451.00
You're a great poster man!  The site is lucky to have you. - abosworth You're my hero!! :D - Spiegelo It's a pleasure to read your posts. - The_Bringer boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez boxingsences best happy xmas man lets drink to a good 1 good health - The Jackal 
Have an apple bro - danc1984 Happy 09 to one of NSB's finest! - KrisSilver Too many good things to say. But in short, a humble &amp;amp; very knowledgeable poster. - J. HITTER One serious poster of BoxingScene FROM: - FasTHarD Have a beer, for one of the best Posters - Golden Boy 360 
Apple for the teacher, - mitruth from one intelligent  person to another ;) - Massage Queen Floyd Mayweather  Greatest fighter of his era - Malcolm. Boxing Scences Finest Happy bithday - The Jackal To one of Boxing Scene's Elite. - Izrock 
For the fight man - The Jackal For one of Boxingscene's finest! - Shadows No Message - Mucus ATG poster - Mucus Have a slice - Juan Gabriel 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Jackal Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
He's only considered ATG in America. But its the same, since its Americans who make the ATGs. Furthermore, he was a dirty fighter who was threw a lot of low blows and kept shoving DLH.
The only way to make you change your mind is for you to look at more of his fights. You seem to have only watched the fights he had when he was over the hill and high on coke. And dirty fighter? No, he knew how to get rough in the trenches and low blows are bound to happen when a guy goes to the body with regularity like Whitaker did.
Silencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM #9
Monster

Never seen a better display of body punching then what Pernell Whitaker showed. I mean really, his body attack made me cringe. He wasn't a devastating puncher ofcourse but those shots took their tole on anyone. Dude had JCC gasping for air. When I'm talking about his display of body punching, I'm talking "Placement".

Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 09-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM #10
The Red Devils

Joe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond reputeJoe2608 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,534,887,773,239.00
Total Points: 1,534,887,865,893.99

You need to watch earlier fights. You seem to be basing your opinion on his later fights where he was on coke and past prime.
Joe2608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
great, pernell, whitaker??

User Tag List