Former boxing champion Ricardo Mayorga moving to MMA with Shine Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former boxing champion Ricardo Mayorga moving to MMA with Shine Fights

Former boxing champion Ricardo Mayorga moving to MMA with Shine Fights

Colorful boxing veteran Ricardo Mayorga, who's fought everyone from Oscar De La Hoya to Shane Mosley to Félix Trinidad, is heading to the world of mixed martial arts.

The Ohio-based Shine Fights, which held its second-ever event on Friday in Florida, made the announcement during its online pay-per-view broadcast of the show.

No debut date or opponent have been determined for Mayorga, a former WBA/WBC welterweight and WBC junior middleweight champion who owns a 29-7-1 career record.

Mayorga, a 35-year-old native of Nicaragua, debuted professionally as a boxer in 1993. He hit his stride from 1999 to 2003 by going 16-0-1 with 13 knockouts. He concluded the streak with a TKO of Vernon Forrest for the WBC/WBA welterweight belt and won the rematch via majority decision six months later. (Forrest was 35-0 entering their first meeting.)

Since then, though, Mayorga has alternated between wins and losses and is just 3-4 in his past seven fights. He most recently suffered a 12th-round knockout loss to Mosley in September 2008.

Mayorga recently sued Don King for his inability to find him a fight and for alleged violations of the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act. In the interim, it appears he'll begin preparations for a late-career run in MMA.

Mayorga wouldn't be the first pro boxer to try MMA, but he certainly would be one of the bigger and more accomplished names to make the transition.

See? All the boxers that try this ****e out are past their prime. But ok, Mayorga is always exciting to watch and this is probably less damaging for the lad than getting ko'd over and over in Boxing. Get to work on your takedown and sub defense mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
      Get to work on your takedown and sub defense mate.

If or when he does, His matches will be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
        See? All the boxers that try this ****e out are past their prime. But ok, Mayorga is always exciting to watch and this is probably less damaging for the lad than getting ko'd over and over in Boxing. Get to work on your takedown and sub defense mate.
        Didn't Mayorga say that had MMA been able to pay like boxing he would have fought in MMA?

And didn't De La Hoya say the same thing? loloololol

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post
          Didn't Mayorga say that had MMA been able to pay like boxing he would have fought in MMA?

And didn't De La Hoya say the same thing? loloololol
          George Foreman also said if MMA was around back in his day he would have fought there instead of boxing

Comment

This is great.. I wonder how will the kids at sherdog reacts when Mayorga begins his trashtalking

Comment

mayorga is a pretty big guy just past his prime and his chances of failing are pretty high..

Comment

Mayorga's style will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint650 View Post
                  can't wait to see what MMA fans will say about the guy Mayorga is going to knock out.
                  Why the anymosity man?

I'm more of a fight fan than an MMA fan, but Mayorga-Forest1 was one of the big fights which really turned me on to boxing. I hope Mayorga does well, and I think his brawling style will serve him better than would most boxers' styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint650 View Post
                    can't wait to see what MMA fans will say about the guy Mayorga is going to knock out.
                    Why the anymosity man?

I'm more of a fight fan than an MMA fan, but Mayorga-Forest1 was one of the big fights which really turned me on to boxing. I hope Mayorga does well, and I think his brawling style will serve him better than would most boxers' styles.

Comment

Working...
                    X