Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four who can end Cyborg's reign atop Strikeforce

Four who can end Cyborg's reign atop Strikeforce
    By Maggie Hendricks
    Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos looked unstoppable in her win over Gina Carano at Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg on Saturday. So who can stop her?

The list is short. Cyborg's reign atop the women's division of MMA will likely be long, as she poses many problems for opponents. First, Cyborg, like Carano, fights at 145 lbs. With some of the world's best female fighters, like Megumi Fuji and Tara LaRosa, being much smaller than that, the match-ups between the best fighters won't likely happen. Secondly, her punching power is hard to match. Of her eight wins, six are by TKO.

But there are some who stand a chance in taking the belt away from Cyborg.

Marloes Coenen: The Dutch kickboxer was recently signed by Strikeforce, and was on hand at Saturday's fight in case Carano or Cyborg didn't make weight. At 5'9", 154 lbs., she is one of the few fighters who could neutralize Cyborg's size advantage.

Roxanne Modafferi: With both punching power and jiu-jitsu prowess, Modafferi could be the one to catch Cyborg in a submission, as she has done in three of her 13 wins. Modafferi is also more experience, with 17 fights under her belt. Unfortunately, she fights at 135 lbs., so she would need to put on weight to fight Cyborg.

Gina Carano: With a rematch, Carano would need to try a very different strategy, and that would be defense, defense, defense. Carano has been an entertaining fighter throughout her career because she is so aggressive, but to win, she may need to take a step back. Carano should not engage as much in the first few rounds to tire out and frustrate Cyborg, and then go for the kill in a later round.

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos: No, I'm not saying that the only person to beat Cyborg would be her clone, but as she showed in the Hitomi Akano win, Cyborg can be inconsistent when it comes to weight-cutting and training. She stepped up for the fight with Carano, and to stay champion, she has to do that with every fight. Too many fighters will be gunning for her belt, and she has to stay sharp if she wants to keep it.

Strikeforce has indicated that they will put together a tournament to decide the next challenger for Cyborg. That shows not only their commitment to their own women's division, but to women's MMA. With Cyborg's strength and power at the helm, the future of the sport looks strong.

No Erin Toughill?

E

Comment

Carano isn't beating her in a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
        No Erin Toughill?

E
        That's what I was thinking, she has the best chance out of all of them.

Comment

one name...ann wolf...give her 16 weeks of training and she'll go in and murder her...

Comment

Gina had Cyborg via ground and pound if she just wasn't so ****ing shook, I was pissed man, she literally backed off her and gave her every avenue of victory, she looked like she was fighting a survival fight meanwhile the fight just started. Gina was able to contend with her on the ground I just feel there was too much pressure on her, too many butterflies in her stomache and when it built up and crunch time came she folded up.

in a rematch I'd still pick Carano becuase I feel she lost due to the metal aspect but in terms of the physical she has right now more than what it takes to beat Cyborg. Cyborg is clumsy in a way, Gina is a smart fighter she just respected her too much, she didn't throw with "Conviction" ya dig it was almost as if she didn't believe she had the power to phase or compete with her not knowing she had already shown more than enough to see she not only COULD compete but win. you can tell she was just shook up because she gave up her dominant spots all not to get hit back, Cyborg swings and Gina just folds up with her eyes off her opponent, it was a mental error that now, with a loss on her record and nothing to lose her mind game will be replenished and she can fight less cautiously..

Gina is a better fighter than a lot of you guys think, she's better than good man shes amazing yo and real talk Strikeforce should give Gina an immediate rematch, she will be a different fighter mentally which is what will make the difference in the bout, she already felt the hits, she already lost her prestigious title and #1 spot, she lost it all already so the ball isn't on her, she can maneuver with less pressure now which is what I think is what cost her the 1st bout.. I firmly believe gina could have ground and pound Cyborg's face in had she held her position on top of her that time and didn't get off, in that instance she gave away the fight, I honestly don't think she would do it again, I couldn't even believe she did it the 1st time...

Comment

Megumi Fujii might have a chance if she fought against Cyborg.

Comment

coenen is the only one who has a bit of a chance, but i dont think she can win because she fights in her pyjamas

Comment

Working...
                X