Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 227,647.87
Great job on my assignment. Here's another book for your collection. - BattlingNelson 
Default Boxers who committed suicide

There have been several fighters who have committed suicide over time. Can some of the members of the board mention stories and myths concerning some of these fighters. I know that allegedly Sonny Liston, Alexis Arguello and Freddie Mills commited suicide. What about Billy Collins and Randy Turpin?
1SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,968,982.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Kid McCoy
Jock McAvoy
Eddie Machen (probably)
Billy Papke

Finnish boxer Tarmo Uusivirta.

McCoy went crazy after his wife committed suicide although it is possible that McCoy himself killed her. He robbed houses and held people captive until being arrested. After serving time he killed himself.

His death note:

"Everything in my possession, I want to go to my dear wife, Sue E. Selby... To all my dear friends... best of luck... sorry I could not endure this world's madness."

McAvoy supposedly killed himself at 63 years of age. Not much is known about the circumstances.

Machen fell out of an apartment window. He had a history of mental illnesses and in the early 60's spent time in a mental hospital after threatening to kill himself. He was always bitter for never being given a shot at the heavyweight title.

Papke shot his wife and then himself when he was 50.

Uusivirta the great Finnish prospect was very bitter at how his professional career ended up, he never lived up to the expectations. At 42 years of age he killed himself.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-20-2009 at 02:25 PM.
TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

paul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,546,845.56
Total Points: 9,867,735.08
For When JC Gomez Is Away - Carnivore 

Not a boxer, but I think a referee did. I forget his name.
paul750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul750 View Post
Not a boxer, but I think a referee did. I forget his name.
Tony Gibson and Richard Green who refereed the Ray Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight.

Also "Fan Man" Miller.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM #5
Banned

princemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these partsprincemanspoper is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 22,972.04

You retard,you know nothing of Sonny Liston's death outside of a few internet rumors spread by the bully boy posters malone is terrified of.So when you have no knowledge of a subject then you don't ****ing discuss it.Nonetheless joe frazier commited career suicide by finally fighting a big puncher,does that count?
princemanspoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanspoper View Post
You retard,you know nothing of Sonny Liston's death outside of a few internet rumors spread by the bully boy posters malone is terrified of.So when you have no knowledge of a subject then you don't ****ing discuss it.Nonetheless joe frazier commited career suicide by finally fighting a big puncher,does that count?
Once again proving why you're undoubtedly the worst poster around the Boxing History section.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,031,792.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

After retirement, Turpin invested his earnings in a public house in Llandudno, Wales.. A few years later he was declared bankrupt, & shot himself in the head.. To add to the tragedy, it was immediately after trying to kill his daughter..
More recently, but coincidently, US boxer, Najai Turpin (no relation) also ended his own life..
George Francis, the trainer of Frank Bruno was another troubled soul who did the same about 6 years ago..
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 41,196,298.05
Most knowledgeable poster on NSB - BatTheMan Boxing Guru - DWiens421 4k posts. Keep up the great work! - danc1984 To an excellent poster - JAB5239 No Message - Old Coward 
you're the man - Dambala For being a great poster - -IronMike- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Tony Gibson and Richard Green who refereed the Ray Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight.

Also "Fan Man" Miller.
Mitch Halpern as well.
Thread Stealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,031,792.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanspoper View Post
I'd imagine you made a vain attempt the night GF got butt whooped by Young, but I doubt there was enough weight to hang yourself lol...
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

paul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond reputepaul750 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,546,845.56
Total Points: 9,867,735.08
For When JC Gomez Is Away - Carnivore 

Yeah, Mitch Halpern was the referee I was thinking of. Thanks for the other info though.
paul750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxers, committed, suicide

User Tag List