No announcement yet.

How to Jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Jab

Watching different fights, you always hear the commentator say "He's got one of the best jabs in boxing.."

But what exactly is a great jab?
    A jab that knocks the other guys head back?
    Or maybe a long, reaching jab that taps on the top of the head?
    What's your take on this? What is a perfect jab, and how do you throw it?
    Please give some referanses to fighters, so you can demonstrate what you mean...

They say Lewis' jab is excellent, but he reaches, sticks his chin out, and drops his arm after the punch, so how can that be good?

Originally posted by tyson
    Watching different fights, you always hear the commentator say "He's got one of the best jabs in boxing.."

But what exactly is a great jab?
    A jab that knocks the other guys head back?
    Or maybe a long, reaching jab that taps on the top of the head?
    What's your take on this? What is a perfect jab, and how do you throw it?
    Please give some referanses to fighters, so you can demonstrate what you mean...

They say Lewis' jab is excellent, but he reaches, sticks his chin out, and drops his arm after the punch, so how can that be good?
    A good jab is thrown constantly, keeps the other fighter trying to avoid it, gives you a range marker, and sets up your power shots for you. That simple. It doesn't have to be hard, just thrown with at least some intent, thrown often, and with accuracy. The jab is what keeps the other guy occupied while you set about beating him. Rahman has a nice jab, Klitchko has an excellant jab, and uses it with great frequency, and is in large part his reason for success. Any fighter in history who had an excellant jab, and threw it often, was usually dominant in his division, at one time or another.

A shotgun jab is just an explosive jab that really hurts

Comment

ya

like Arturo Gatti ironicly had a good jab in his last fight

Comment

A jab is excellent for keeping a guy off that comes in constantly, and is also good for gettin a guy into punching range. Ali had the fastest jab in history, and i think Larry Holmes had the most powerful one. Larry has actually knocked guys down with his jab, he threw it from his hip and shocked alot of opponents.

Comment

Why the jab? 1. It's a rangefinder 2. Set your powerpunches up 3. Use it as a distraction, or block his vision. What is a great jab? If you are able to do those 3 things mentioned above then you have a pretty good thing going and everything will be much easier. There are few fighters w/ exceptional athletic ability , but there's even less natural jabbers I can only think of 2 - 3 fighters who are naturals and that would be Tommy Hearns, Larry Holmes, and Junior " Poison " Jones. Some good ones are DLH, Bowe, Ali...

Comment

Originally posted by rsl
            Why the jab? 1. It's a rangefinder 2. Set your powerpunches up 3. Use it as a distraction, or block his vision. What is a great jab? If you are able to do those 3 things mentioned above then you have a pretty good thing going and everything will be much easier. There are few fighters w/ exceptional athletic ability , but there's even less natural jabbers I can only think of 2 - 3 fighters who are naturals and that would be Tommy Hearns, Larry Holmes, and Junior " Poison " Jones. Some good ones are DLH, Bowe, Ali...

A jab can be powerful like Holmes or Lewis who could jsut decimate their opponents with their jabs.

Comment

ya

Sonny Liston would knock people OUT with his jab!!

a jab also ruins someones rhythym.

Someone comes to through a big combination at me, i pop the double jab, and their timing is off, then their MINE!!!!!!!!

Comment

eya

tyson knocked julius down with his jab

Comment

I can only agree with what you other guys have already said.

Comment

Maybe you should try throwing short stiff jabs first when you shadow box then try to open up with those rangy jabs...that helped me out.

Comment

Working...
                    X