If Rumble In The Jungle Happened In A Cage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Rumble In The Jungle Happened In A Cage

George Foreman wins by early KO.

Then it wouldn't be boxing. No one in the history of the sport could brawl with Foreman and survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinetic Linking View Post
      George Foreman wins by early KO.
      Come on, this is like saying if it happened on a football field George would have never laid a glove on him. There are boxing rules for a reason, and Foreman lost fair and square.

Comment

They could have fought it in a phone booth. It's not like Ali used movement to beat Foreman.

Comment

I don't consider the ropes to be an integral part of "boxing."

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            They could have fought it in a phone booth. It's not like Ali used movement to beat Foreman.
            Very true this was one occassion when size did not matter

Comment

Comment

now you guys are pushing it. You can argue with the nature of the hypothetical situation, even though I think it's a reasonable one, but to disagree with the conclusion?

Ali used the ROPES to win that fight. Without the ability to diffuse Foreman's power by leaning against the ropes, Ali loses that fight every time. That's why they called it Rope a Dope. No ropes in a phone booth, no ropes in a cage, no ropes on a football field. And yeah, I think Foreman would win on the football field as well. Ali simply couldn't outmaneuver him for long enough. Without a place to hide, he was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinetic Linking View Post
                  now you guys are pushing it. You can argue with the nature of the hypothetical situation, even though I think it's a reasonable one, but to disagree with the conclusion?

Ali used the ROPES to win that fight. Without the ability to diffuse Foreman's power by leaning against the ropes, Ali loses that fight every time. That's why they called it Rope a Dope. No ropes in a phone booth, no ropes in a cage, no ropes on a football field. And yeah, I think Foreman would win on the football field as well. Ali simply couldn't outmaneuver him for long enough. Without a place to hide, he was done.
                  I don't see how leaning against the ropes could diffuse Foreman's power.

Foreman's whole strategy was to get his opponent against the ropes/cornered. He was simply wide open for counter punches and threw punches that a smart boxer could see coming from a mile away.

Peralta, Ali and Young were the best boxers he fought during his first career, it is no surprise that he struggled with all of them.

Ali didn't exactly have a glass jaw either. When Earnie Shavers landed pin-point right hands on Ali's jaw (ones that Ali never saw coming), they had little effect on him.

Comment

come on A, post the rest. Man I love that fight. It's so much better than liston Ali because Ali actually clashes with foreman's strength, albeit while diffusing the power against the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                    X