Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 AM #1
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,341.01
Default Era Misconceptions

The term "golden age of bla bla bla" is thrown around too loosely.

One era misconception I'm aware of, assuming it's a misconception, is that the 70's was the "golden age" of heavyweights. I don't buy it, plain and simple. I don't care how many names you rattle off, videos of the 70s do not impress me and I watch a lot of videos and am very open minded about the past.

The other one I'm aware of is the notion that Ray Robinson's era was the "golden age" of middleweights. Again, I don't care how many names, those videos do not impress me. They're not bad - Ray was in some good fights. But I don't think it was the toughest era.
Kinetic Linking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 120,871,327,212.25
Total Points: 121,072,611,467.78
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic Linking View Post
The term "golden age of bla bla bla" is thrown around too loosely.

One era misconception I'm aware of, assuming it's a misconception, is that the 70's was the "golden age" of heavyweights. I don't buy it, plain and simple. I don't care how many names you rattle off, videos of the 70s do not impress me and I watch a lot of videos and am very open minded about the past.

The other one I'm aware of is the notion that Ray Robinson's era was the "golden age" of middleweights. Again, I don't care how many names, those videos do not impress me. They're not bad - Ray was in some good fights. But I don't think it was the toughest era.
and today's era impresses you? (the Heavyweights)

the 70's had some superb Athletes, Ali, Norton, Frazier....and yes George Foreman was a beast.

Robinsons era wasn't the golden age for middleweights though, considering the 3 best middleweights in my book weren't from his era.

IMO the competition during his era was average, but he was great.
them_apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM #3
Contender

Kinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these partsKinetic Linking is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,341.01

where did I say that today's era impressed me? I didn't so save yourself some time and don't check. George Foreman's one of my favorite fighters of all time, I just don't think the 70s was any kind of golden age.
Kinetic Linking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,202,688,712,025.19
Total Points: 78,202,692,762,146.66
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

80s is the best decade for Heavyweights in my personal opinion, followed by the 70s, which is neck and neck with the 90s. 60s were very over rated, 50s were better. But they're all far superior to the current decade.

As for my favorite Middleweight era, I also really liked the 80s, but it slipped over into the early 90s.
Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 120,871,327,212.25
Total Points: 121,072,611,467.78
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
80s is the best decade for Heavyweights in my personal opinion, followed by the 70s, which is neck and neck with the 90s. 60s were very over rated, 50s were better. But they're all far superior to the current decade.

As for my favorite Middleweight era, I also really liked the 80s, but it slipped over into the early 90s.
I like Haglers era for middleweights

The mid 80's to 90's was a good era for Heavyweights, with Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson and with Holmes still sticking around. I think the 70's edges it out though with Foreman, Ali, Frazier, Norton
them_apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 AM #6
Hookin' With Hookers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,871,651.22
Total Points: 1,876,186.79
thanks agian.... - supRa 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - supRa 

Which era do you think has better heavyweights than the 70's Kinetic out of curiosity? Remember that the era is noted for having much much more than just Ali,Foreman,Frazier,Norton
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
DeepSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,202,688,712,025.19
Total Points: 78,202,692,762,146.66
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by them_apples View Post
I like Haglers era for middleweights

The mid 80's to 90's was a good era for Heavyweights, with Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson and with Holmes still sticking around. I think the 70's edges it out though with Foreman, Ali, Frazier, Norton
All due respect to Hagler, the second half of the 80s was better than the first in the MW department.

The Body Snatcher
Sweet Reggie Johnson
Patrizio
Second to Nunn
Irish Steve Collins
Action Jackson
The Dark Destroyer
Chris Eubank
Michael Watson

...and that's just the A list, might have left someone out too. The coming of James Toney and RJJ in the late 80s and early 90s put an exclamation point on that era.

As for the the 80s Heavyweights:

Holmes (Prime -> Over the hill)
Tyson (Prime)
Holyfield (Prime)
Witherspoon (Prime)
*Qawi (Prime -> Over the hill)
Foreman (Over the hill)
Gerry Cooney (Prime)
Trevor Berbick (Prime)
Michael Spinks (Post-Prime)

That's the A/A- list of names that had a meaningful impact in the 80s. I included Qawi since Cruiserweights didn't exist in the 70s. 80s definitely takes it in the A department, but the A- department would have more depth in the 70s.
Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM #8
Undisputed Champion

TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,983,499.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

I can't say I agree with the 80's being a golden era for heavyweights.

Holmes and Tyson were the dominant champions, both great fighters, but aside from them the talent around was severely lacking, or I'd rather say the dedication since men such as Witherspoon, Thomas, Dokes, Page, Tubbs and others were all talented but wasted their potential one way or another (mostly drugs).

I'd say that Holyfield and Foreman were 1990's heavyweights, since that's when they made their impact on the division. Qawi, Spinks, Cooney and Berbick hardly qualify as A-list heavyweights in my opinion.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-11-2009 at 12:00 PM.
TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,983,499.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

1970's heavyweights were in my opinion:

Muhammad Ali
Joe Frazier
George Foreman
Ken Norton
Larry Holmes
Jimmy Young
Jerry Quarry
Ron Lyle
Earnie Shavers
Joe Bugner

Other notables:

Leon Spinks
Oscar Bonavena
Floyd Patterson (for his fights against Bonavena and Ali in the early 70's)
Mac Foster
Jimmy Ellis
Gregorio Peralta
John Tate
Henry Clark
Duane Bobick
Chuck Wepner
Kallie Knoetze

1980's:

Larry Holmes
Mike Tyson
Tim Witherspoon
Gerry Cooney
Mike Weaver
Michael Dokes
Tony Tucker
Gerrie Coetzee
Trevor Berbick
Pinklon Thomas
Tony Tubbs
Greg Page
Frank Bruno
Carl Williams
Tyrell Biggs
Renaldo Snipes
Tex Cobb

Holyfield did come into the picture in the late 80's but he only became the champion in the 90's.

1990's:

Lennox Lewis
Evander Holyfield
Mike Tyson
Riddick Bowe
Larry Holmes
George Foreman
Razor Ruddock
Ray Mercer
Michael Moorer
Tommy Morrison
Oliver McCall
David Tua
Ike Ibeabuchi
Andrew Golota
Frank Bruno
TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM #10
Banned

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
black.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond reputeblack.ink has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,942,006,275,218,628.00
Total Points: 22,942,006,275,255,584.00
tua likes burgers! - Left Hook Tua nice rap mate!! - -veteran420- Thanks 4 your Vote G... - The Gully Gad No Message - -jose- 

It's hard to argue against the 70s being the golden age for Heavyweights.
black.ink is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
misconceptions

User Tag List