No announcement yet.

size disadvantage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size disadvantage

I am a small hvy weight only 5'10 215lbs. What do you guys think I should do or work on for up coming fights? I know I will be the smaller guy in all or most of my fight so what should I work on? What pro fighters should I watch and learn from? I am not dicouraged though because Rocky Marciano was only 5'10 190lbs, & Tyson wasn't even 5'11. Any help?

number one you need to get to lhw for the amateurs because at your weight now your going to be fighting super hw and your gonna fight monsters wich in turn = monster punches .

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Down4TheCount View Post
        number one you need to get to lhw for the amateurs because at your weight now your going to be fighting super hw and your gonna fight monsters wich in turn = monster punches .
        ya i should think about that, but ive spared with some "freaks" and the power is definatly noticable but they are SLOW, but they are probably faster in the national or even state levels of competition.

Comment

Boxingnews technique magazine article
          THE TALL BOXER
          Against a tall boxer with good movement and a good left jab it is vital you get to the inside position to work . Otherwise you will have problems from the word go and he will keep you at range on the back foot , stopping you from entering his space .
          How do you get inside his long reach ?
          Parry lay back , push away are some common approaches adopted, but these usually prove ineffective .
          Slpping and rolling are the probably most effective.
          When facing someone taller, you must be able to slip and roll to gain the inside position .The best method is slipping because it leaves both hands free to counter .

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
            Boxingnews technique magazine article
            THE TALL BOXER
            Against a tall boxer with good movement and a good left jab it is vital you get to the inside position to work . Otherwise you will have problems from the word go and he will keep you at range on the back foot , stopping you from entering his space .
            How do you get inside his long reach ?
            Parry lay back , push away are some common approaches adopted, but these usually prove ineffective .
            Slpping and rolling are the probably most effective.
            When facing someone taller, you must be able to slip and roll to gain the inside position .The best method is slipping because it leaves both hands free to counter .
            thanks. where is the "technique magazine"?

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlex View Post
              thanks. where is the "technique magazine"?
              I've got it here in front of me , it's from this link but it isn't working for me .
              http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
                I've got it here in front of me , it's from this link but it isn't working for me .
                http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/
                ya the link aint working thanks anyway, so i'll work on my sliping tequnique should i get a slip ball like tyson used?

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlex View Post
                  ya the link aint working thanks anyway, so i'll work on my sliping tequnique should i get a slip ball like tyson used?
                  The way I see it , the more training the better , so why not

]

Comment

BigAlex
                    I'm in the same boat as you (10 pounds higher even).
                    I say screw dropping 40 pounds to get to light heavy (50 in my case).
                    My main sparring partner is almost 6'4.
                    A lot of kids today are straight up cowards, we should be trying to fight the best dudes we can so we can be the best - not trying to be the biggest bully in the smallest division we can get to.

The 70s, ie the greatest generation for heavyweight boxing, had a bunch of guys who were 6'3+, but they also had a bunch of guys who were between 5'10 and 6'.

You're right, bigger guys are slower.

By the time I've sucked down under 195, I've lost my endurance & my power, while being at a speed disadvantage - speed kills! I've seen a lot more guys who compete at light heavy & cruiser drop heavyweights than vice versa.

Just getting under 200 might not be that bad for either of us - but if it doesn't happen via hard core training & eating right, then it's not meant to happen, no need to force it.

When I spar the tall guys I just remember that closing distance is like paying a toll: I only want to do it once. On the outside, be defensive, but once that opportunity arises (either via slip, parry, or a clumsy opponent), get in there and go to work- head & body. On the inside, his long arms will have a hard time with the shorter distance. Also, don't stand right in front of him either, constantly off angle so he has to readjust.

Comment

Working...
                    X