Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM #1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Southpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 88,495.60
Total Points: 960,743.33
Default Henry Armstrong v Baby Arizmendi 3

Henry Armstrong battles with Baby Arizmendi for the 3rd time (1938)

Southpaw16BF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,968,993.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

I think it's in fact their fourth fight. They had fought three times previously, Arizmendi winning the first two, Armstrong winning the third.

Here's the fifth fight:

TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM #3

Southpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16BF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManchine View Post
I think it's in fact their fourth fight. They had fought three times previously, Arizmendi winning the first two, Armstrong winning the third.

Here's the fifth fight:

I to claimed it was the 4th fight, but the user who uploaded it said 3rd.....
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
I to claimed it was the 4th fight, but the user who uploaded it said 3rd.....
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
I also used to think it was the third fight.

The commentator too states that it is the third fight (with Arizmendi winning one, Armstrong winning one) but Arizmendi actually twice beat Armstrong early on in their careers. Armstrong avenged the loss three times and the fourth and the fifth fights were filmed.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManchine View Post
I also used to think it was the third fight.

The commentator too states that it is the third fight (with Arizmendi winning one, Armstrong winning one) but Arizmendi actually twice beat Armstrong early on in their careers. Armstrong avenged the loss three times and the fourth and the fifth fights were filmed.
Indeed....They first fought in 1934, then 1935, then the third one was in 1936,fourth one was in 1938, and the 5th one being in 1939.

Arizmendi I find is a rather underrated fighter. He was told he could never box due to a bone disorder of some sort, but ended up proving doctors wrong.

At times early on his career he blew hot and cold, but when on form he was one hell of a fighter. He won the Featherweight World Title(As recognized by the California Athletic Commission) defeating Newsboy Brown on decision. After making a few defences he was defeated by Freddie Miller in bid to capture the NBA Featherweight Title.

But he would go onto capture the NYSAC World featherweight title defeating Mike Belloise.

In his career he had some great wins over great fighters including Henry Armstrong, Chalky Wright, Newsboy Brown and held Sammy Angott to a draw, he also fought some of the best fighters in his era in Lou Ambers and Tony Canzoneri.

I belive he was inducted in the Hall Of Fame class of 2004.....

Here's a picture of him

Last edited by Southpaw16bf; 04-27-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM #6

Here's picture of the two weighing in for one of there battles
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

cotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,825.20
Total Points: 1,544,906.75

they broke the mould when they made henry armstrong
cotto16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM #8
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,061,528,145,619,681,280.00
Total Points: 43,061,528,145,619,763,200.00
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotto16 View Post
they broke the mould when they made henry armstrong
Yeah we know. He still wouldn't have beat Billy Conn though.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

cotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,825.20
Total Points: 1,544,906.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Yeah we know. He still wouldn't have beat Billy Conn though.
do you have a time machine? cos you dont know that for fact, so dont come on here like your **** doesnt stink
cotto16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
Indeed....They first fought in 1934, then 1935, then the third one was in 1936,fourth one was in 1938, and the 5th one being in 1939.

Arizmendi I find is a rather underrated fighter. He was told he could never box due to a bone disorder of some sort, but ended up proving doctors wrong.

At times early on his career he blew hot and cold, but when on form he was one hell of a fighter. He won the Featherweight World Title(As recognized by the California Athletic Commission) defeating Newsboy Brown on decision. After making a few defences he was defeated by Freddie Miller in bid to capture the NBA Featherweight Title.

But he would go onto capture the NYSAC World featherweight title defeating Mike Belloise.

In his career he had some great wins over great fighters including Henry Armstrong, Chalky Wright, Newsboy Brown and held Sammy Angott to a draw, he also fought some of the best fighters in his era in Lou Ambers and Tony Canzoneri.

I belive he was inducted in the Hall Of Fame class of 2004.....

Here's a picture of him
Arizmendi was a great fighter. What surprises me is that even the Mexican fight fans rarely mention his name even though I feel that he is one of the greatest Mexican boxers ever.

I don't think he was ever knocked out, although he was stopped a couple of times. He certainly showed his durability in his two filmed battles against a prime Henry Armstrong.

According to the Ring Magazine he was the youngest person to ever turn professional at around 12 or 13 years of age, perhaps even earlier.

Share This With Friends

Tags
arizmendi, armstrong, baby, henry

User Tag List