Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 PM #1
Tough as Nails

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 168,010.42
Total Points: 318,377.76
Well done to your boy Vic. - T-97 
Default Sparred for the first time yesterday.......

If you look back and check the threads I've created in the Training & Nutrition section you can follow my stead progress but I finally sparred yesterday. I sparred with my trainers assistant who was a former boxer in the soviet union but he's currently 48 years old. Anyway my question is this...........I'm a southpaw he was stepping on my front foot (which in my case would be my right foot) all the time, is this a tactic orthdox fighters use against southpaws or do i have to position my front foot more outside his body.??????????????
KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM #2
Tough as Nails

KingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond repute

by the way considering he is an old time boxer I gave a good 4 round sparring session...................but he's 48..................i'm 22 so i have a long way to go.............
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 AM #3
Interim Champion

Landon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,105.05

Hes probably not used to sparring southpaws is all. From his perspective youve got the wrong foot forward.
Landon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:16 AM #4
Banned

AztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond reputeAztecWanker has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,712,217,775.35
Total Points: 2,512,201,365,047.63
Thanks for betting. - RED ARMY Party hardy.. - Hard Dick Happy Friday!!! Cheers!! - RicDaRula Thanks alot man - El Dominicano For being one of the few sane forum members around here! - F•R•K•O 
happy 1000th! - JAB5239 Cerveza Con Carácter - Puas Thank you for that donut sir - The Gold Mac you da man! - RJJ The Truth Cool poster wit some common sense. Sip it slow homey - mangler 
cause im the shit - Gift Of Gab Here's an apple for ya....... - Breakbeat you get the pizza, i get the beer...thanks homie - Makavelli Respect homey, for bein one of the site's best - mangler Where you been? - Dominicano Soy! 
A round on me homey - mangler Happy New Year - Freedom. Cheers! - dan_cov Damn, when ISN'T Erik Morales vowing war against someone or something? God bless that man. - thuggery Margarito is a monster - hectari 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Sox8055 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - -Boxzilla- Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - dan_cov Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - dan_cov 

I'm also a southpaw. Getting your right foot stepped on and getting headbutts are somethings you might want to get used to. As southpaws, we have another fight going on, the foot fight. Try to always have your right foot outside of his left foot.
AztecWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 AM #5
Up and Comer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mongrel_boy is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,240.93

If you watch Cotto v Judah Cotto steps over Zab's lead foot throughout the whole fight. Everytime he steps forward like this he's launching the jab off of it, setting himself up on the inside. It's an effective tactic against southpaws because it limits movement towards their left (not that they should be moving left too much anyways to stay away from your right hand). This is useful to keep in mind when you want to close off the ring against a lefty. Also pretty obvious but worth noting that if they can only really move effectively to their right (or backwards) then fire the left hook off the jab.

Of course that's probably not going to help you too much because you're the lefty :P but hopefully it'll help you understand why he'd be stepping on your foot. I'm orthodox so I don't know what you could do to counteract that movement besides retreating or moving to the right (slipping/parrying the jab) and throwing the right jab/hook.
mongrel_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 AM #6
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,367,314,386,478.64
Total Points: 2,367,314,407,517.71
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

For the stepping on the foot thing it most likely wasn't intentional, but it could be. When a southpaw is fighting an orthodox fighter he wants to have his right food outside of his opponents left food, the inverse works too. So if both fighters want to have their foot on the outside, there is going to be some stepping on toes happening.

So yeah, try to get your right foot on the outside of his left foot to be able to land your straight left.
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 PM #7
Tough as Nails

yeah I think I have to focus on my footwork and try to get my right foot outside the opponents left foot............by the wat I dont how many of you are southpaws but this is easier said than done.....

Share This With Friends

Tags
sparred, time, yesterday.......

User Tag List