Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 AM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ivan-bam is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,552.71
Default rival gloves?

im getting the pro sparring ones im going to use them for mitt,bag work and alot of sparring but what oz should i get them and long cuff or short cuff? thanks in advance
ivan-bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM #2
Up and Comer

shawnrf is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,049.61

I have the 16oz long cuff and I like them a lot. To be honest they are my first pair of nice gloves so I do not have much to compare them to though. If you want to use them for bag work, mitts, and sparring get 16 oz. I am not real sure why someone would prefer the short cuff over the long, but when they are laced up the wrist protection is very good on the long cuff.

Another guy at my gym that buys a lot of gloves tried mine after grants, imfs, and the $200 dollar everlasts, and bought the same pair i have. He seemed to think they are great as well.

Hope that helps.
shawnrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM #3
Interim Champion

ScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud of
Bank: 444,830.25
Total Points: 465,967.87
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bearman3000 

You really shouldn't use the same gloves for bagwork and sparring because hitting the pads/bags with wear down the padding which means there will be less protection for your sparring partner. Also, sparring gloves are softer than bag gloves, so there will be less protection for your hands when you're hitting the bag.

But if you insist, go with 16's.
ScottDBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Zarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond reputeZarco has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,296,227.36
Total Points: 555,556,563,552,159.81
Feliz Ano Nuevo!!! - E.P.T. 

16oz would be good. thats good that you want to use them for bag and mitt work as well as sparring because youll get adjusted to them and wont wear your arms down as much. i used to train with 12oz bag gloves and sparr with 16s. now i train and sparr with 16s and noticed a huge help. it actually wouldnt hurt to get 18oz bag gloves and sparr with 16s.
Zarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM #5
Tough as Nails

KingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond reputeKingArthur has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 168,010.42
Total Points: 322,782.76
Well done to your boy Vic. - T-97 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDBA View Post
You really shouldn't use the same gloves for bagwork and sparring because hitting the pads/bags with wear down the padding which means there will be less protection for your sparring partner. Also, sparring gloves are softer than bag gloves, so there will be less protection for your hands when you're hitting the bag.

But if you insist, go with 16's

this man knows what he is talking about....listen to him because he's right on.
KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM #6
Interim Champion

mickyward5656 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 585,190.27
Total Points: 757,364.09

i honestly think there awfull...
mickyward5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM #7
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,719,300,106,567.96
Total Points: 2,719,300,131,653.42
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

I love rival gloves, i own a pair of bag gloves and a pair of sparring gloves.

Like ScottDBA said, don't use the same gloves for bag work and sparring, if you look on the rival site bag gloves and sparring gloves are very different. You can't use sparring gloves on the bag cause you will destroy them pretty fast and i don't suggest using bag gloves sparring cause you can hurt your sparring partners, bag gloves have much harder padding.
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 AM #8
Contender

JUHL has a spectacular aura aboutJUHL has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 51,079.66

please dont use rival, they suck.... they look cool... and thats it, the leather is cheap and the gloves just FEEL cheap.
JUHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 AM #9
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,719,300,106,567.96
Total Points: 2,719,300,131,653.42
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUHL View Post
please dont use rival, they suck.... they look cool... and thats it, the leather is cheap and the gloves just FEEL cheap.
You need to stop smoking your own ****.
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
gloves?, rival

User Tag List