No announcement yet.

Boxing and weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing and weights

I'm usually about 152lbs, 6ft and a body fat % of ~ 10%. After being in Spain for 3 weeks (got back on friday) which saps you're strength, you sleep more and eat less i've lost about 4lbs which is annoying but it happens every year. Easy to say i'd do training there but when you're on holiday in a very hot country with you're mates around you all of the time it's easy not to do much. I think my body structure is more suited to a heavier build, I have wide shoulders and long legs and I see these fighters on t.v who are abit shorter maybe but not much, prob' around the same bfp and the same weight yet their muscles are like twice as big as mine, then I figured it out, it's because they're alot more compact despite being the same height. So basically, my goal is to put on atleast another of mostly muscle 12lbs by October. First of all, is this possible?

Second part is I love boxing right? I don't love weight lifting, if I ever do weights it's because I feel I should do it for boxing, I get bored and it doesn't motivate me but in a boxing gym I don't care what pain i'm in I do it, I don't care how tired I am, I do it. At home, on the bag, I keep going because I like doing it. At home, on the bag, i'll stop when im exhausted, with weights, i'll stop when I can't really be bothered anymore. So is it possible to put on the lbs by doing very little weights? You see because my worry is i'll be on the bag most nights and do sit ups etc but all of this cardio will be just consuming all of the food I put in and i'll get fitter, put on a little muscle but generally stay the same. I am planning on doing some weights because they are useful but i was thinking more along the lines of low lbs high rep except the general occasion where I might go to the gym with my bro' and do weights properly but this wouldn't be regular. So, am I able to gain muscle mass by using a 'boxing workout' and not weight training because I mean until recently weights were outlawed from boxing programs.

Today I ate;

Weetabix for breakfast
    Lasagne for lunch
    Alot of vegtables, potato and mince for dinner
    Pint of protien shake
    4 prawn sandwiches in oat brown bread
    And will have a handful of pumpkin seeds before bed

And worked out.

Obviously i'm not going to eat that everday, that's just the standard kind of thing. Not super healthy but not full of junk food and more than the average person.

So, is it possible? Any pointers? Cheers in advance.
    Last edited by JayCoe; 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM.

I have been lifting off and on for the past three years, but for the past three months I have benn lifting consistently. my exercises weight has increased by at least fifteen pounds. i also run twice a week, do a boxing workout three times a week, and spar twice a week. I haven't gained or dropped a pound from 130. what you gain depends on what you eat and your rep range.

Comment

consult your boxing trainer if you want to do a weights program, my friend was given a weights program by our boxing trainer that can assist with boxing, it doesnt bulk you up, just involves explosive movements and improves toning and definition.....try something like that....but honestly if u are going to compete in boxing you would want to be as light as possible, and at 152 lbs and 6 foot, you are right on the amateur welterweight limit and are at a good height for a welterweight, so maybe dont gain weight
      Last edited by KostyaTszyu44; 07-21-2008, 02:10 AM.

Comment

unless you are not competing

Comment

/

to gain any kind of weight, you gotta eat,

to gain weight in fat just eat.

to gain weight in muscle, work the muscle hard and eat loads of protein,

that way you will gian weight in muscle

Comment

Before I went to the gym I just boxed twice a week. No running just worked my bag at home and come cycling. I weighed about 55 then and after about 3 months at the gym of 3-4 mile runs, weights, situps etc. I have not gained any weight at all. Just stayed at 55 but feel a lot fitter and stronger because of it. You won't gain that much weight from weights anyway as long as you do cardio alongside it.

Comment

[QUOTE=P4PKING_2008;3804000]Before I went to the gym I just boxed twice a week. No running just worked my bag at home and come cycling. I weighed about 55 then and after about 3 months at the gym of 3-4 mile runs, weights, situps etc. I have not gained any weight at all. Just stayed at 55 but feel a lot fitter and stronger because of it. You won't gain that much weight from weights anyway as long as you do cardio alongside it.[/QUOTE]

No offence, but some people just shouldn't reply to these type of threads.

That comment makes no sense.

Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you lift weights, do cardio, and eat a high protein/low fat diet, you will gain weight, but in muscle not fat.

Comment

Originally posted by 'ENRY COOPER View Post
                Originally posted by P4PKING_2008 View Post
                Before I went to the gym I just boxed twice a week. No running just worked my bag at home and come cycling. I weighed about 55 then and after about 3 months at the gym of 3-4 mile runs, weights, situps etc. I have not gained any weight at all. Just stayed at 55 but feel a lot fitter and stronger because of it. You won't gain that much weight from weights anyway as long as you do cardio alongside it.
                No offence, but some people just shouldn't reply to these type of threads.

That comment makes no sense.

Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you lift weights, do cardio, and eat a high protein/low fat diet, you will gain weight, but in muscle not fat.
                You should follow your own advice... you will not gain weight if you do not eat beyond the calories burned each day by your body, fact. It is entirely possible to remain the same weight yet get stronger and fitter, it's the main aim of any boxer trying to remain in a weight class.

Comment

Working...
                X