Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1stRdKO is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,268.60
Default Techniques for guys with shorter reach

Hello, Im new here and I wanted some info or tips on dealing with a shorter reach. I am pretty short, so usually the guys I spar with have longer reaches on me. Can anyone give me some tips/techniques to overcome this. I know I can never really overcome a shorter reach but is there things I can practice to alleviate this disadvantage? Any info is appreciated
1stRdKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

dfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 558,916.94
Total Points: 593,087.67

Yep, your best bet is going to be fighting on the inside when you're at a significant reach and height disadvantage. Inside fighting takes ALOT of practice to be any good at and can backfire but can be very effective if done right, work the body and work the uppercuts and just try to smother them, I'd reccomend watching some Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales, Mike Tyson etc. fights for a good idea of what I'm talking about.
dfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 PM #3
Amateur

1stRdKO is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 2,268.60

^^Thanks for the response and tips. Im gonna check out some videos of the guys you mentioned. Ive been trying to build my inside game more but its rather difficult bc I am also in prime position to get hit by uppercuts and hooks. Im trying to develop more better head/body movement (dips, dives, etc)
1stRdKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,999,451,103.39

hi man there are plenty of threads like this so i am just gonna copy paste my advice from another thread

I hope it helps and good luck, being short has some advantages if you play your cards right so here it goes:

hey bro what class are you on ? i am 5'7 and i feel you as a shortfighter hehe i have fought as a middleweight and i am currently a lightmiddleweight ( still fighting in the amateur ranks in mexico) i have fought guys 6'1 and 6'2 and have done really good after getting used to it.

My advice would be, do not try to fight like a tall fighter, dont fight with an upright position and trying to trade jabs, you are just gonna lose your time, and eat many of them. I use a very low stance and have gotten great results, but you have to train hard to master it, because it can be really hard on your legs and balance, so train hard if you plan to use it.
I attack mostly to the body from this stance and if you combine it with good head movement you will become a real treath.
I dont know your built but this works great for me because i am short but can take a punch and have a decent amount of power, other thing when rushing in to your opponent chest, try to move sideways or create angles, if you just sprint to the inside on a straight line you can get tagged really hard.

Remember most guys try to take your head off with a punch, but if you punch the body hard the head will fall by itself.

hehe well those are my 2 cents, if you want any more advice on tall guys just msg me ill be happy to help
..David.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:43 PM #5
Interim Champion

2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute2quick2slick has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 109,526.51

Got any techniques for guys with shorter dick?
2quick2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,999,451,103.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick2slick View Post
hahaha sorry bro i have no experience with that kind of problem. But i am sure there are a lot of guys out there willing to "help" you just keep looking
..David.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM #7
Mother Russia

sukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,060,453.75
Send a message via ICQ to sukhenkoy Send a message via Skype™ to sukhenkoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick2slick View Post
Yeah - stay away from the fat ones.
sukhenkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM #8
Mother Russia

sukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,060,453.75
Send a message via ICQ to sukhenkoy Send a message via Skype™ to sukhenkoy

Like david said, don't trade jabs. I learned that the hard way.

As a short fighter, I think you really need to develop your uppercuts and hooks, especially to the body. When the taller fighter throws a jab, your have to be quick and good at slipping, so that you can slip his jab, throw an uppercut/hook to his body, and work from there.

There are some great videos on youtube. The guy's name is billiardjay - I was watching some yesterday, and they were very helpful.

Work on slipping. Get a rope, hang it across the entire room (a little lower than shoulder length), and work on slipping in and out of the rope. As you get better at it, work in some punches like uppercuts and hooks with each slip. Do a lot of squats as well as slipping can be very taxing on your legs.

Hope this helps man. I've got a similar problem at 5'8.
sukhenkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM #9
Interim Champion

Trrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of light
Total Points: 68,706.11

Look for the Hagler - Hearns fight on you tube.... And do what Hagler did!
Trrmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM #10
Up and Comer

mkm88414 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,327.98

where the hell are all the tall guys? i always see threads about short guys needing to fight inside (im short too)

so where are all the tall boxers? or do they just have no problems with things like this so they dont post about it
mkm88414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
guys, reach, shorter, techniques

User Tag List