Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 AM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nedcmk1 is a jewel in the roughnedcmk1 is a jewel in the roughnedcmk1 is a jewel in the rough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 52,085.57
Default thoughts on boxing tall guys....

I'm about 5'8" and will be sparring someone about 4" taller tonight.

I'm going to try to do my best not to square my shoulders at all (a bad habit i have sometimes) and step in to keep my jab as long as possible, and keep constant head movement to work my way into the inside...

I'm sure my trainer is going to have a strategy for me, and a lecture on breathing... curious as to what you guys think....
nedcmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-18-2008, 12:14 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

danny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 323,330.99
Total Points: 463,365.79

try and get inside his jab and bang inside nullifying his reach advantage.

my 2
danny stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM #3
Interim Champion

nedcmk1 is a jewel in the roughnedcmk1 is a jewel in the roughnedcmk1 is a jewel in the rough

lots of head movement.... i know he tends to stand still. my only issue should be the reach difference.... hes only about 12lbs heavier than me so its just a bit of size distance. The long reach should be good work though for me.

I'm curious if i should stay low....
Old 06-18-2008, 12:47 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,999,460,646.99

hey bro what class are you on ? i am 5'7 and i feel you as a shortfighter hehe i have fought as a middleweight and i am currently a lightmiddleweight ( still fighting in the amateur ranks in mexico) i have fought guys 6'1 and 6'2 and have done really good after getting used to it.

My advice would be, do not try to fight like a tall fighter, dont fight with an upright position and trying to trade jabs, you are just gonna lose your time, and eat many of them. I use a very low stance and have gotten great results, but you have to train hard to master it, because it can be really hard on your legs and balance, so train hard if you plan to use it.
I attack mostly to the body from this stance and if you combine it with good head movement you will become a real treath.
I dont know your built but this works great for me because i am short but can take a punch and have a decent amount of power, other thing when rushing in to your opponent chest, try to move sideways or create angles, if you just sprint to the inside on a straight line you can get tagged really hard.

Remember most guys try to take your head off with a punch, but if you punch the body hard the head will fall by itself.

hehe well those are my 2 cents, if you want any more advice on tall guys just msg me ill be happy to help
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
..David.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:47 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

danny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 323,330.99
Total Points: 463,365.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..David.. View Post
hey bro what class are you on ? i am 5'7 and i feel you as a shortfighter hehe i have fought as a middleweight and i am currently a lightmiddleweight ( still fighting in the amateur ranks in mexico) i have fought guys 6'1 and 6'2 and have done really good after getting used to it.

My advice would be, do not try to fight like a tall fighter, dont fight with an upright position and trying to trade jabs, you are just gonna lose your time, and eat many of them. I use a very low stance and have gotten great results, but you have to train hard to master it, because it can be really hard on your legs and balance, so train hard if you plan to use it.
I attack mostly to the body from this stance and if you combine it with good head movement you will become a real treath.
I dont know your built but this works great for me because i am short but can take a punch and have a decent amount of power, other thing when rushing in to your opponent chest, try to move sideways or create angles, if you just sprint to the inside on a straight line you can get tagged really hard.

Remember most guys try to take your head off with a punch, but if you punch the body hard the head will fall by itself.

hehe well those are my 2 cents, if you want any more advice on tall guys just msg me ill be happy to help
good stuff....watch some vids on David Tua to see this in action!
danny stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM #6
Interim Champion

Thanks for the responses. It's awesome to post here and get 2 intelligent posters respond, rather than an arguing mess.

I'm gonna try and stay low. I assume it is going to be difficult for him to utilize as much head movement as i will be able too. i am comfortable with constant level changes from wrestling. we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM #7
Interim Champion

oh..... i'm 5'8 155... he's about 6ft and 170
Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 PM #8
Up and Comer

CUBASERE has a spectacular aura aboutCUBASERE has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 1,766.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..David.. View Post

You fight in Mexico eh? What state do you live in?
CUBASERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,999,460,646.99

i am from sonora, but i live train and fight in nuevo leon
..David.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

J_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,210,975.64
Total Points: 1,363,562.75
Good game man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 3K! - T-97 Happy 3000th man!  Here's to 3k more! - abosworth 

Get in the inside Dont rush straight in though. Jab your way in, give angles and move your head.
J_CON is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List