No announcement yet.

Wanderlei Silva

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanderlei Silva

First off, I'm new here. I'm not new to the fight game, and haven't been since I was about 11 years old. I have been watching the big Brazilian names, Wanderlei/Nogueira brothers/Ricardo Arona/Anderson Silva/etc. since I can remember. I grew up in Sao Paulo before my parents decided to take our family to NYC, I currently live in Brooklyn, but I am planning a (permanent?) trip back to Brazil as of the end of this Summer. I told you this because I don't want to you to think I am some American nuthugger who just recently decided to hop on Brazil's sack. (About 50% of the UFC Fanbase)

That being said, what the Hell is going on with Wanderlei? My friends and I were discussing this last night at dinner. Many think he is a physically shot fighter, after Cro Cop smacked his head, some think that he will be an easy knock out from now on. Science and simple logic being said, that is far from the truth. Your knock out resistance is around 80% hereditary, 19% from tough training (ex: your brain being used to getting smacked around) and 1% from luck of where the strike lands. Wanderlei still has tough knockout resistance, saying that he doesn't is not smart. The guy gets caught flush by a kick to the temple, and a left hook to the same spot.. Now he has a glass jaw? No way.

I brought up the point (extremely regrettably so) that Wanderlei might be "shook." It's a New York term which means that you're extremely tentative of a situation. Example: You walk down the street at midnight, there's no one but thugs around, you'll be shook. You'll put your head down and not make eye contact or any type of contact with anyone, and walk as fast as you can to avoid conflict. You're shook. I asked myself, "Is Wanderlei, the one we call The Axe Murderer, shook?"

In his past few fights he seemed to be more of a defensive fighter. No longer The Axe Murderer or The Mad Dog that I saw so long ago in Vale Tudo. Did he just forget who he is? What aura of fear he brings into the ring? I truly believe Wanderlei is far from out of his prime. He just needs that victory to help him realize why we call him The Axe Murderer, and why his OPPONENTS are the ones who need to be shook when they fight him, not the other way around.

A lot of typing, any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Alot of WWF guys who abused steroids in the 80s crashed physically by 40. I think that is what is happening now. I think the abuse he put on his body has taken it's toll it's really starting to show and affect him.

Comment

Wanderlei Silva will always be my favourite LHW to watch next to Liddell but I think the problem is he doesn't stay focused as to what he is doing. He is fighting his offense with defense. I think its a question of "Does he still have it left in him mentally to make a comeback". I don't think his physical spect has taken a toll but his mental one has. He fights more causiously and doesn't fight with the same agression he has before. I think he should just let his hands loose and fight each match with a strategy depending on who is opponent is

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post
        I don't want to you to think I am some American nuthugger who just recently decided to hop on Brazil's sack. (About 50% of the UFC Fanbase)
        i already knew you weren't a toolbox nuthugger when you didn't mention Gracie in your list of big brazilian fighters.

silva's fine. he did great against Chuck even if he didn't take the victory. he's always had heart and fury. just because his streak hasn't been great recently doesn't mean he's in a long-term bind. i think we still have a lot more to see from him.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          Alot of WWF guys who abused steroids in the 80s crashed physically by 40. I think that is what is happening now. I think the abuse he put on his body has taken it's toll it's really starting to show and affect him.
          Wanderlei never abused steroids. Many people confuse harder supplements (usually whey protein) as steroids or banned substances. As soon as a fighter uses a supplement to rehabilitate, the media will always swarm them with steroid accusations. Wanderlei's natural strength, conditioning and muscle endurance is still at top tier.

Originally posted by Cptn. Howdy View Post
          i already knew you weren't a toolbox nuthugger when you didn't mention Gracie in your list of big brazilian fighters.

silva's fine. he did great against Chuck even if he didn't take the victory. he's always had heart and fury. just because his streak hasn't been great recently doesn't mean he's in a long-term bind. i think we still have a lot more to see from him.
          Silva vs Liddell was a tough one for me to watch. As soon as my friends and I watched it, we were all screaming random assortments of "What the **** are you doing?! - This is not right - Wanderlei was payed off - This is dumb, Liddell is EZ Mode for Wanderlei, Dana white is a ****** for paying this off."

There have been countless videos and accusations of Dana White paying that match off. I mean, granted Liddell is a great athlete and I love watching him fight. He was a home town favorite, and that was definitely not The Axe Murderer who stepped in the cage with him. I still believe something fishy went on with that fight.

Comment

Silva used steroids. Why do you think he never fought in the US until after PRIDE folded? And notice he has done quite poorly here....

Comment

Dana paying Silva too lose? Doubtful, if any fix gets caught, that would be it for the UFC, no more sanctioning, no more PPV's, no more fights in the US Period. Vanderlei is a bad match up for Chuck from the get go because of his agression, Chuck is a counter puncher, if you want to beat Chuck Liddell, make him come after you....

Comment

The right time for them to fight was in Pride in the Grand Prix but Liddell lost to Rampage to that didn't happen, would rather see them fight back in Pride

Comment

I thought Silva still looked good against Liddell. He has had a long carreer though so he could be on the slide.

Comment

These past fights have been the lowest he's been in his career. Some guys win a few and lose a few but he was winning for a while until now but he can still come back and make a good run

Comment

Working...
                    X