Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Global Boxing Scene

View Poll Results: Do you agree with their rankings?
Yes, completely. 18 33.96%
No, not at all. 6 11.32%
Only slightly. 8 15.09%
Mostly. 20 37.74%
Not exactly sure. 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 AM #1
Sugar-Will O'-Hurricane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 300,068,303.10
Total Points: 300,326,950.15
thanks for the sig - Golden Boy 360 thanks for the sick sig ... - -Boxzilla- Couldn't give you geen K, so have a drink on me. - JAB5239 sux homie ... lemme kno when ur back up and running - -Boxzilla- use this as your toothbrush - JM1 
cheerz man! - Sox8055 
Default ..The Rings Top Five 147 Challengers...

Here's their list of the top five 147 pounders, challenging for Mayweathers welterweight title.

C C 97 FLOYD MAYWEATHER 39-0 (25)
1 1 63 MIGUEL COTTO 31-0 (25)
2 3 53 SHANE MOSLEY 44-5 (37)
3 - 1 CARLOS QUINTANA 25-1 (19)
4 2 90 PAUL WILLIAMS 33-1 (24)
5 4 344 ANTONIO MARGARITO 35-5 (25)

Your thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Take part in the poll and discuss.
THe TRiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 AM #2
Up and Comer

VegasDude702 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.10
Total Points: 4,398.98

Cotto obviously presents himself as the biggest challenge we all know that. Its now a fact of filling in the puzzle pieces behind that. Mosley would be a nice fight if your going for that "big name" aspect. Quintana i think isn't great, i think he fought a flawed Paul Williams and stuck to the game plan on Williams which has been there all along. Margarito, i just dont see what he has to be honest but benefit of the doubt.

my rankings of people who could give Money May the matchups.

Cotto
Margarito
Mosley
Quintana
Williams.
VegasDude702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

OldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond reputeOldSkool has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 138,091.71
Total Points: 153,133.42
Tart yourself up, slut. I'm taking you out for a night on the town to celebrate 1K in posts. - OASIS_LAD You'll need these looking at my avvy - hurricane72 You're my #1! - RiZOOM 

i think the list contains the top 5 contenders however i would position them differently:

Cotto
Mosley
Williams
Mararito
Quintana

i know tht is probably controversial after wht happened in williams llast fight. but i honestly believe he stands a much better chance of winning (even though this is probably little to none) against floyd than quintana.
OldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 AM #4
Sugar-Will O'-Hurricane

THe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond reputeTHe TRiNiTY has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the sig - Golden Boy 360 thanks for the sick sig ... - -Boxzilla- Couldn't give you geen K, so have a drink on me. - JAB5239 sux homie ... lemme kno when ur back up and running - -Boxzilla- use this as your toothbrush - JM1 
cheerz man! - Sox8055 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
i think the list contains the top 5 contenders however i would position them differently:

Cotto
Mosley
Williams
Mararito
Quintana

i know tht is probably controversial after wht happened in williams llast fight. but i honestly believe he stands a much better chance of winning (even though this is probably little to none) against floyd than quintana.
Mayweather fights better inside then most give him credit for. Williams has trouble finding his range with those who can hold their own within his reach. It's easier then most think to get inside that range, if you have movement. I see Mayweather getting into more movement if he fought Williams and shooting off combos on the inside. I think he busts Williams up, to be honest. I've always said that movement against a taller, longer-armed foe is the key, and Williams isn't anything, if he isn't a tall, long-armed opponent.

Mosley, I still think has the SPEED AND POWER to give Mayweather the most trouble out of the five, if you ask me. He just has the right tools. His age is catching up, so it needs to happen by the beginning of next year for him to have a true chance.

Margarito has the chin to keep going forward, his problem is that he needs to quit looping his punches. He hits a bit harder then Baldy does (my opinion) AND he is probably a BIT quicker. He's got a decent beard, except he throws more then Carlos does. That COULD create a problem for Mayweather as it's harder to dictate the pace against a busier and determined fighter.

Cotto can box well, and hits hard. Combinations are good, crisp punches, doesn't seem to fade, can stay on his toes and cuts off the ring to wear his opponents down, EXCEPTIONALLY well. He can go to the body like Hatton, except better and stronger with more skill. His problem is his chin. The punch you don't see (a fast one) is the one that hurts the most. And if Corley can get to his jaw and hurt him, so can Mayweather.

Quintana is a very good fighter. His problem is that he CAN get discouraged. Against Mayweather, that's NOT a good sign. HOWEVER, he hits pretty hard, good conditioning-wise, and has nice skills, in terms of overall boxing. He can stick to a gameplan, he just needs to stay focused. If he can keep his guard up and be as cagey against Floyd as he was against Julio and Williams, he has a boxer-punchers chance, so to speak. His problem will be that he has to keep busy and not let the fact that a lot of early and later rounds wil go to Mayweather if his workrate drops, bother him.

Mayweather can beat these guys, but I can see a couple of them being able to beat him.

I also think an honorable mention is Cintron. He's ALWAYS in it with a punch like his. But, if Feliciano can damn-near outbox you, (or outwork you, in that fight, it was the same thing), you'll be in trouble against Mayweather.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM #5
Banned

acelinofreitas1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 8,942.08

Mayweather is duckin cotto, why should he be up there?
acelinofreitas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM #6
Sugar-Will O'-Hurricane

cheerz man! - Sox8055 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelinofreitas1 View Post
Mayweather is duckin cotto, why should he be up there?
Because he beat the TRUE champ. Ducking people can't ALWAYS be bad to you. Freitas ducked Casamayor...........

NOTE: Can someone move this.. I meant to open this up in Non Stop Boxing.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 AM #7
Bale, Bale, Bale

Gareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeGareth Ivanovic has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 321,919,717.08
Total Points: 324,990,561.25
Fuck Kansas - MizzzouMan TYE TYE TYE! - natas206 Tye Bible, page 23 talks about his dive vs Monte - Dorian Watch Jay Cutler and his mullet on this - Mizzou A place to store your inc.  Peace buddy! - abosworth 
What Wisconsin is famous for. Cheese and wine. - checkmania For the Tina Fey vid. She is basically perfect, in my eyes. Must be the glasses..... - Sweet Pea 50 Good person to bet with..Hit me up anytime - xxjace I got this for you from &amp;quot;Tye's Bakery Goods&amp;quot; enjoy :) - Dorian Tye's Bakery and Goods :) - Dorian 
To the Kansas City A's. - Mizzou No Message - Grand Champ No Message - Grand Champ Best avatar on the scene! - Dorian Heineken - Dorian 
No Message - markbnlv Its not champagne, its grape drank!! - Disposable Arts Super Ana Ivanofieldsich! - Dorian Super Ana! - Dorian Chunk cake filled with Ana Ivanovic and Tom Brady's  spunk! - Chunk 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - SigmaMu Childhood Cancer - street bully Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Dorian Childhood Cancer - Dorian Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - DorianWozniacki 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Dorian.. Childhood Cancer - Dorian.. Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Dorian.. Childhood Cancer - Dorian.. Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Dorian.. 

I agree with that list pretty much.
Gareth Ivanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM #8
Legend

RageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond reputeRageX has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 124,236.77

By that ranking, Mayweather only needs to fight Cotto and then can retire for all I care.

Margarito lost to Williams
Williams recently lost to Quintana
Quintana lost to Cotto

He wont fight them because they lost recently and he wouldn't get much credit anyway. I know styles make fights but no way Mayweather fights them because they recently lost. Cotto is the guy who can present Money with the most Money out of that list. Know what I mean?

I hope the cotto fight happens when both of them are undefeated, because I heard Cotto is fighting Gomez, Mayorga and then Margarito for 2008 and IMO thats a bit of tough task for Miguel. so the Mayweather fight will happen in 2009 probably with Floyd fighting Oscar in September. and then March 2009 its on...hopefully
RageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM #9
Undisputed Champion

Left2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,132,046.31
Total Points: 10,257,411.91
thanks for the help - texanballer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Drone View Post
Mayweather fights better inside then most give him credit for. Williams has trouble finding his range with those who can hold their own within his reach. It's easier then most think to get inside that range, if you have movement. I see Mayweather getting into more movement if he fought Williams and shooting off combos on the inside. I think he busts Williams up, to be honest. I've always said that movement against a taller, longer-armed foe is the key, and Williams isn't anything, if he isn't a tall, long-armed opponent.

Mosley, I still think has the SPEED AND POWER to give Mayweather the most trouble out of the five, if you ask me. He just has the right tools. His age is catching up, so it needs to happen by the beginning of next year for him to have a true chance.

Margarito has the chin to keep going forward, his problem is that he needs to quit looping his punches. He hits a bit harder then Baldy does (my opinion) AND he is probably a BIT quicker. He's got a decent beard, except he throws more then Carlos does. That COULD create a problem for Mayweather as it's harder to dictate the pace against a busier and determined fighter.

Cotto can box well, and hits hard. Combinations are good, crisp punches, doesn't seem to fade, can stay on his toes and cuts off the ring to wear his opponents down, EXCEPTIONALLY well. He can go to the body like Hatton, except better and stronger with more skill. His problem is his chin. The punch you don't see (a fast one) is the one that hurts the most. And if Corley can get to his jaw and hurt him, so can Mayweather.

Quintana is a very good fighter. His problem is that he CAN get discouraged. Against Mayweather, that's NOT a good sign. HOWEVER, he hits pretty hard, good conditioning-wise, and has nice skills, in terms of overall boxing. He can stick to a gameplan, he just needs to stay focused. If he can keep his guard up and be as cagey against Floyd as he was against Julio and Williams, he has a boxer-punchers chance, so to speak. His problem will be that he has to keep busy and not let the fact that a lot of early and later rounds wil go to Mayweather if his workrate drops, bother him.

Mayweather can beat these guys, but I can see a couple of them being able to beat him.

I also think an honorable mention is Cintron. He's ALWAYS in it with a punch like his. But, if Feliciano can damn-near outbox you, (or outwork you, in that fight, it was the same thing), you'll be in trouble against Mayweather.
Not a bad assesment. I agree with most of it.
Left2body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM #10
Banned

pabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond reputepabcs has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 959.09
Total Points: 5,547.93

margarito should be above williams and quintana. quintana has one good win but margarito has been destroying welterweights for years and quintana would get brutally knocked out by the tijuana tornado.
pabcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List