No announcement yet.

lead left as opposed to the jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lead left as opposed to the jab

Anyone use this much and to what effectiveness??

I use my jab as more of a weapon and sometimes my right hand is off the mark cuz the dudes head is snapped back so I am thinking what about just trying to knock dudes heads off with the lead left into a left hook??

gimme some feedback guys

A lead left is a jab... a left hook is a left hook. I don't get what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
      A lead left is a jab... a left hook is a left hook. I don't get what you mean?
      A lead left is not a jab. A lead left is is thrown from the rear foot from a southpaw stance. It is essentially the opposite of a lead right from a conventional stance.
      Last edited by NachoMan; 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
        A lead left is not a jab. A lead left is is thrown from the rear (left) foot from a southpaw stance. It is essentially the opposite of a lead right from a conventional stance.
        Eh yeah I guess... I just don't see the purpose of it.

Comment

I am confusing you guys, you are both right. I was talking more about using the jab as a KO punch and torqueing alot of body into it. I guess kinda like vlad klit. Just wondering if anyone throws a jab with bad intentions or do most of you just use it as your supposed to...

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
            I am confusing you guys, you are both right. I was talking more about using the jab as a KO punch and torqueing alot of body into it. I guess kinda like vlad klit. Just wondering if anyone throws a jab with bad intentions or do most of you just use it as your supposed to...
            I've seen people throw their left more like a straight (more loading up on it) than as a jab. I personally use the left hook A LOT, never really a left "straight" though.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
              I've seen people throw their left more like a straight (more loading up on it) than as a jab. I personally use the left hook A LOT, never really a left "straight" though.
              cool man, this is the responses I was looking for..

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
                Anyone use this much and to what effectiveness??

I use my jab as more of a weapon and sometimes my right hand is off the mark cuz the dudes head is snapped back so I am thinking what about just trying to knock dudes heads off with the lead left into a left hook??

gimme some feedback guys
                From what you say, sounds like you fight in a conventional stance. To throw a lead left, you'll need to be fighting southpaw. I wouldn't recommend switching to southpaw to throw a lead left followed by a left hook. That's pretty awkward. You'll be way off balance and you won't be throwing your left hook properly or with any power if it follows a southpaw lead left. Since you are worried about jabbing his head back with the left hand and missing with the follow-up right hand, I would simply recommend getting in the habit of pumping a double jab before you throw the right hand. I think that should help improve the timing of your right hand. I also think a double jab is good practice anyway, especially if your first jab comes up short. Just an idea.

Comment

From what you say, sounds like you fight in a conventional stance. To throw a lead left, you'll need to be fighting southpaw. I wouldn't recommend switching to southpaw to throw a lead left followed by a left hook. That's pretty awkward. You'll be way off balance and you won't be throwing your left hook properly or with any power if it follows a southpaw lead left. Since you are worried about jabbing his head back with the left hand and missing with the follow-up right hand, I would simply recommend getting in the habit of pumping a double jab before you throw the right hand. I think that should help improve the timing of your right hand. I also think a double jab is good practice anyway, especially if your first jab comes up short. Just an idea.
                  great point, I have been working on that as well as the single touch jab into the right...

Comment

What he is talking about is not what you are talking about. Some guys throw a more loaded jab from a conventional stance.... Klitscho being one of them. My concern with it is that I get a lot of power from my right straight from the downward angle it takes and the distance it has to build speed, with a left "straight" I don't see that happening without opening one's self up to a right counter punch... Klitscho did it well though, so it's not to be said it couldn't be done, I just wouldn't recommend a new person to use it, I have eaten several counter punches throwing left hooks, it's all timing and learning when and when not to throw it.

Comment

Working...
                    X