Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 196,959.01
Default RIVAL HEADGEAR Review

Okay. I've had two sparring sessions, one of them pretty heavy, in the new headgear.

Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.

Initial impression: LIGHT. This headgear is freaking LIGHT. I held it in one hand and my friend's Winning headgear in the other and they seem to be about the same weight. This really helps in slipping, which is good because. . . .

Secondary impression: WIDE OPEN. I've got a scuffmark across my nose and a busted lip. I'm using the Size M and I wear a size 7 1/4 hat. There is enough room between the cheek protectors to fit all four knuckles of a 16 oz. glove. Not good. Guys with big noses should stay away from this headgear, IMO.

Further impressions:

- Stops a punch good. The headgear seems to transfer the momentum into my back; both times after sparring my head doesn't hurt (it always did with my Everlast headgear) but my lower back is stiff.

- It does not move around on my head. I took some savage hooks today and it moved very little.

- Quick punches don't sting. This may be because the inside is microsuede, not leather. It grips your face tightly and transfers the force into your body.

- Visibility is excellent. Of course, that's because you can drive a Peterbilt through the space between the cheekguards. It is definitely built for someone who slips a lot. It would work very well for someone who uses a Dempsey Roll or Philly Shell.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this headgear. The design is a step forward, seriously space-age in the materials and ergonomics. Well worth the money, if you've got the balls to wear a nearly-open headgear.
fraidycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-05-2008, 06:28 PM #2
Contender

lilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 22,294.88

very nice review! i think i'm going to get them...
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.

was looking at fightgear but it doesn't look too good. the airmax seems cheap..

hows the ear protection?

Last edited by lilaznjoker; 01-05-2008 at 06:35 PM.
lilaznjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:30 PM #3
Contender

lilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these partslilaznjoker is infamous around these parts

can ya take a pic too =) see how it fits
Old 01-06-2008, 03:24 AM #4
Up and Comer

skilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud ofskilgannon has much to be proud of
Total Points: 21,007.75

wow I am surprised the face is wide open and that a 16oz knuckle can fit between the cheeks cause in the picture, it looks quite closed. how is the shock absorption?
skilgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilgannon View Post
wow I am surprised the face is wide open and that a 16oz knuckle can fit between the cheeks cause in the picture, it looks quite closed. how is the shock absorption?
Shock absorption is excellent. Here's a pic of the headgear fitted to me. I'm thinking I might need the next size up, but usually size L headgear is WAY too big on me. This is the size that Rival recommended for my head size.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
Old 01-06-2008, 03:11 PM #6
Walk's On Water

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,024,423.45
Total Points: 1,207,548.88

I ordered this earlier in the week so i should get it by wednesday
Kayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM #7
Interim Champion

actionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 35,895,245.78

I am a fan of everything rival. But the headgear I think is alright. I like to spar without the cheak protector, an open face. I just feel that is a false sense of security, because you will have no face protection on the headgear you were in a fight.

Rival gear is pretty great though. I have their shoes and mexican bag gloves on the way right now.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM #8
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraidycat View Post
Shock absorption is excellent. Here's a pic of the headgear fitted to me. I'm thinking I might need the next size up, but usually size L headgear is WAY too big on me. This is the size that Rival recommended for my head size.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
ooh. doesn't look too bad. as long as the shock absorption is good... i remember using the gyms and my friends headgear and the cheeks had wide space in between and didn't really protect much neither...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 PM #9
Contender

how you measure your head? circumference from your forehead?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznjoker View Post
how you measure your head? circumference from your forehead?
That's one way. As it happens, I wear a Fedora quite a bit (I play the saxophone professionally in a swing band, and I swing dance), so I know my hat size.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List