Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 AM #1
RonnieCOleman RonnieCOleman is offline
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 72
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
RonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 36,262.38
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 36,262.38
Default Is boxing worth the strength loss??

I don't know how many of you have a solid weightlifting background, but I just want your opinion...is boxing really worth losing all the hard earned strength that you gained in the gym?? reason I'm asking is cuz ever since I started losing weight through boxing and running, my strengths been decreasing even though I've been trying to maintain it through strength training sessions. I feel more fitter and stronger in a different sense, but it's getting harder to reflect that when I'm hitting the weights. I'm not thinking of quitting or anything like that, but I just want some opinions from guys like verse or anyone else.
RonnieCOleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-09-2007, 02:20 AM #2
Southpaw16 Southpaw16 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 1,220
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15
Southpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 87,893.18
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 87,893.18
Default

Well that really depends on the person. If weightlifting and pure strength training is what you love to do, and that is your real passion, then maybe you should stick to that. Myself, I love boxing, and that is what I want to be as good at as possible.

Boxing will however give you better all around conditioning than just weightlifting. It will give you speed, agility, stamina, and might actually improve your explosive strength. It depends which you like better, being as good as possible at beating people up in a fist fight? or lifting the most weight possible? Every person is different.
Southpaw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 AM #3
renren40 renren40 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,833
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
renren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 300,000,000,087,165.50
Bank: 3,310.18
Total Points: 300,000,000,090,475.69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieCOleman View Post
I don't know how many of you have a solid weightlifting background, but I just want your opinion...is boxing really worth losing all the hard earned strength that you gained in the gym?? reason I'm asking is cuz ever since I started losing weight through boxing and running, my strengths been decreasing even though I've been trying to maintain it through strength training sessions. I feel more fitter and stronger in a different sense, but it's getting harder to reflect that when I'm hitting the weights. I'm not thinking of quitting or anything like that, but I just want some opinions from guys like verse or anyone else.

well i battle with this everyday...i lift weights but i have to run for cardio...
i think the best advice is to do both and if you do you have to realize that you will eat humble pie for a while cuz if u spar u might be slower from lifting...or u might be weaker on the bench...it is possible to maintain both power and boxing stamina...the key is raise your intensity level when your feeling weak and use cheat reps in cardio and weights....and you will have to load up on supplements...nothing illegal...just eat a lot and drink a lot...and when it is time to perform either in the ring or at a powerlifting contest...then sacrifice in the area that is not primary only for about 2 weeks...
renren40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 AM #4
Run Run is offline
Outlaw
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kill The High Horse Watch The Knight Struggle
Posts: 68,533
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16931
Run has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 13,092,260,417,235,938.00
Bank: 1,181,898,525.11
Total Points: 13,092,261,599,134,464.00
No Message - The Teacher No Message - Caught Square No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher 
No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher 
No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher soy burger...ha  here's a baconator son! - -jose- On me lad - Rocky... 
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Merry Chrismas Run - TBear Merry Christmas - -MEGA- Happy New Year Run homie - HughJass good to know you still alive - -jose- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - codey 
Default

I don't really see a problem.

How big are you........really? Because if you're stacked full of lean mass or something like a stereotypical body builder, there could be a problem. That mass is really useless and just tires and slows you down.

But I don't see a problem with having some muscle that you put on from lifting weights 2-4 times a week. I think the problem arises when you take the muscle building to the extreme.

Plus If you're serious about boxing I don't know how you'd make time to fit in a freeweight routine. You have to do roadwork, spar, work bags, bodyweight excersises name it.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 AM #5
renren40 renren40 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,833
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
renren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond reputerenren40 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 300,000,000,087,165.50
Bank: 3,310.18
Total Points: 300,000,000,090,475.69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw16 View Post
Well that really depends on the person. If weightlifting and pure strength training is what you love to do, and that is your real passion, then maybe you should stick to that. Myself, I love boxing, and that is what I want to be as good at as possible.

Boxing will however give you better all around conditioning than just weightlifting. It will give you speed, agility, stamina, and might actually improve your explosive strength. It depends which you like better, being as good as possible at beating people up in a fist fight? or lifting the most weight possible? Every person is different.

good point...you also have to think about your sweetheart...does she want a muscleman that's also a minute man or a thin man that can win man?!

cardio is vital for the goodies...
renren40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 AM #6
RonnieCOleman RonnieCOleman is offline
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 72
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
RonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 36,262.38
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 36,262.38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renren40 View Post
good point...you also have to think about your sweetheart...does she want a muscleman that's also a minute man or a thin man that can win man?!

cardio is vital for the goodies...
haha yeah you got a point there, didn't really think about that.
RonnieCOleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 AM #7
RonnieCOleman RonnieCOleman is offline
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 72
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10
RonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieCOleman has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 36,262.38
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 36,262.38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunW/Knives View Post
I don't really see a problem.

How big are you........really? Because if you're stacked full of lean mass or something like a stereotypical body builder, there could be a problem. That mass is really useless and just tires and slows you down.

But I don't see a problem with having some muscle that you put on from lifting weights 2-4 times a week. I think the problem arises when you take the muscle building to the extreme.

Plus If you're serious about boxing I don't know how you'd make time to fit in a freeweight routine. You have to do roadwork, spar, work bags, bodyweight excersises name it.

I don't really care about building muscle as long as I can get stronger and maintain that strength. I'm not really what you would call the stereotypical bodybuilder, just someone who has a decent level of strength at most. I normally strength train once or twice a week, while going to boxing rest of the time, I just want to know if it's possible to still be strong while devoting most of your time to boxing. I know guys like bernard hopkins and roy jones jr. can probably bench atleast over 2 plates and squat 3 plates or more, since they spend all their time doing boxing training and less weight lifting. I'd be happy if I could still keep that base level (2 plate or so bench, 3 plate or so squat) of strength. Just want to know if it's possible though?
RonnieCOleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 AM #8
Verstyle Verstyle is offline
Future Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 32
Posts: 40,845
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21567
Verstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 78,900,000,705,317.34
Bank: 8,709,962,283,793.00
Total Points: 87,609,962,989,110.34
Congrats on 38K posts Vers mah homie!!!!!!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! to the big homie - Larryx2011 great lounge poster - RINGG interesting/good threads man. - chiguy91 for an atg poster - jazluvr 
For all your kindness and support - Lorily :lol1: that shyt ain't right and awkward thread - jose830 No Message - MELLY-MEL... Thanks bro - BulgariasFinest Welcome back bud - TBear 
Happy Holidays Verstyle.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - TBear No Message - TBear No Message - TBear 40,000 posts! :fing02: - jose830 
4 d 40k - led* 40k son - MELLY-MEL... have a great time at the fight tomorrow night! - HUGH JASS good to see you around - -jose- Merry Christmas Verstyle - TBear 
Default

**** a strength loss.I rather get hoes with the rep of knocking mother ****ers out rather then get it from a damn bench press.What if someone messes with her at a bar? What are you going to do? Press him like the Ultimate Warrior?
Verstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 AM #9
Run Run is offline
Outlaw
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kill The High Horse Watch The Knight Struggle
Posts: 68,533
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16931
Run has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond reputeRun has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 13,092,260,417,235,938.00
Bank: 1,181,898,525.11
Total Points: 13,092,261,599,134,464.00
No Message - The Teacher No Message - Caught Square No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher 
No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher 
No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher No Message - The Teacher soy burger...ha  here's a baconator son! - -jose- On me lad - Rocky... 
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Merry Chrismas Run - TBear Merry Christmas - -MEGA- Happy New Year Run homie - HughJass good to know you still alive - -jose- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - codey 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieCOleman View Post
I don't really care about building muscle as long as I can get stronger and maintain that strength. I'm not really what you would call the stereotypical bodybuilder, just someone who has a decent level of strength at most. I normally strength train once or twice a week, while going to boxing rest of the time, I just want to know if it's possible to still be strong while devoting most of your time to boxing. I know guys like bernard hopkins and roy jones jr. can probably bench atleast over 2 plates and squat 3 plates or more, since they spend all their time doing boxing training and less weight lifting. I'd be happy if I could still keep that base level (2 plate or so bench, 3 plate or so squat) of strength. Just want to know if it's possible though?
In my opinion? I think you should stick to your strength routine.

If you like/enjoy lifting freeweights and you like your strength.........I don't see a reason to quit lifting. Here are the pro's and con's.

Pro's of sticking to conventional boxing circuit without freeweights:

1. You'll be faster.

2. You'll have more stamina.

3. You might hit harder, because your hands will get faster.

Con's of sticking to conventional boxing circuit without freeweights:

1. You might not be as self confident.

2. You might have trouble imposing that strength in a clinch.

3. Chicks dig muscle to a certain extent.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM #10
DA1CATAS DA1CATAS is offline
Birth of a Monster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ-to florida
Age: 32
Posts: 4,500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 25
DA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond reputeDA1CATAS has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 165,654.99
Bank: 3,711,693.48
Total Points: 3,877,348.47
Keep your head up. - Bendigo 
Send a message via AIM to DA1CATAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
**** a strength loss.I rather get hoes with the rep of knocking mother ****ers out rather then get it from a damn bench press.What if someone messes with her at a bar? What are you going to do? Press him like the Ultimate Warrior?
lol

Thats what I'd do
DA1CATAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.