Jack Dempsey:Fact and Fiction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey:Fact and Fiction

William Harrison Dempsey

Changed his name to Jack Dempsey at the age of 19.

Called Harry while growing up.

Learned fighter skills while riding the railways as a hobo. It was here he had to constantly fight off ****sexual rape because of his young age and appearance.

Desperate for money, Dempsey would occasionally go into saloons and challenge for fights saying "I can't sing and I can't dance, but I can lick any SOB in the house." If anyone accepted his challenge, bets would be wagered. According to Dempsey's autobiography, he rarely lost these barroom brawls.

Digging ditches, picking peaches, cutting timber and being a circus roustabout were among his jobs early in his career while traveling from town to town.

After retirement, he worked occasionally as a referee and was owner of Jack Dempsey’s Broadway Restaurant from 1935 until 1974 on the site the old car barn across from Madison Square Garden. Dempsey was also a commander in the U.S. Coast Guard.

10 brothers and sisters

Dempsey made two films during his career, "Daredevil Jack" & "Manhattan Madness" He also co-starred in a Broadway play called "The Big Fight" with this then wife Estelle Taylor. • Jack was the 9th of 11 children.

Trained to be a boxer at Young Peter Jackson's gym in Salt Lake City Utah at the age of 16.

He started boxing professionally in 1914 calling himself "Kid Blackie".

Knocked out Jess Willard in 1919 to win the Heavyweight boxing title and held that honor until September 23rd, 1926 when he lost a 10 round decision to Gene Tunney in Philadelphia.

Throughout his career Dempsey had 4 different managers: Andy Malloy, A.J. Aurback, Frank Price and Jack "Doc" Kearns.

Never broke or injured his hands in his entire boxing career.

At one time Dempsey shared an apartment with Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks Sr.

On his 75th birthday, in 1970, Dempsey was invited to Madison Square Garden where 19,000 people sang "Happy Birthday" to him.

Dempsey was inducted into the boxing Hall of Fame in 1990.

Dempsey wrote a book on boxing, Championship Fighting: Explosive Punching and Aggressive Defence, which was published in 1950. Although the book has been out of print for the past 56 years, many boxers-- professional and amateur alike-- have continued to praise it as "the finest treatise on boxing ever written (source to follow)." The book was also seen as a turning point in boxing, as it was the first serious study of the sweet science. Dempsey, thanks to this book, has been proclaimed by some to be the world's first modern boxer.

Dempsey in films

Originally posted by CletusVanDamme View Post
    Learned fighter skills while riding the railways as a hobo. It was here he had to constantly fight off ****sexual rape because of his young age and appearance.

Dempsey made two films during his career, "Daredevil Jack" & "Manhattan Madness"

Yikes, I hadn't read about him having to fight off rape on the rails. Do you have a source for that ?

Actually, Jack was in quite a few movies, not just two, though he made fun of his 'acting skills' in most of them and in the 20s films he wears a ton of eye makeup and face powder, typical of the times.

Below is a list of his acting roles, of course he appeared as himself in dozens more films:

# Damn Citizen (1958) .... Reporter
    # Off Limits (1953) .... Jack Dempsey aka Military Policemen (UK)
    # Sweet Surrender (1935) .... Jack Dempsey, Restauant Owner
    # A Dozen Socks (1927)
    # Manhattan Madness (1925) .... Steve O'Dare
    # K.O. for Cupid (1924)
    # Health Farm Wallop (1924)
    # The Town Hall To-Night (1924)
    # The Title Holder (1924)
    # Bring Him In (1924)
    # All's Swell on the Ocean (1924)
    # So This Is Paris (1924)
    # West of the Water Bucket (1924)
    # A Society Knockout (1924)
    # Winning His Way (1924)
    # Daredevil Jack (1920) .... Jack Derry

Regards,
    Cat
    www.maxbaer.org

Comment

William Harrison Dempsey

Changed his name to Jack Dempsey at the age of 19.

Called Harry while growing up.

Desperate for money, Dempsey would occasionally go into saloons and challenge for fights saying "I can't sing and I can't dance, but I can lick any SOB in the house." If anyone accepted his challenge, bets would be wagered. According to Dempsey's autobiography, he rarely lost these barroom brawls.

Digging ditches, picking peaches, cutting timber and being a circus roustabout were among his jobs early in his career while traveling from town to town.
      i have a boxing book that says dempsey fought grown men for food as a hobo when he was 14 -15.

Comment

i also heard this bull about dempsy underneath the train holding on to sumthing for an entire trip...I dont know if its true or not but if he did do it, DAMN.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxie's Gal View Post
          Yikes, I hadn't read about him having to fight off rape on the rails. Do you have a source for that ?

Actually, Jack was in quite a few movies, not just two, though he made fun of his 'acting skills' in most of them and in the 20s films he wears a ton of eye makeup and face powder, typical of the times.

Below is a list of his acting roles, of course he appeared as himself in dozens more films:

# A Dozen Socks (1927)
          # K.O. for Cupid (1924)
          # Bring Him In (1924)
          # Winning His Way (1924)

Regards,
          Cat
          www.maxbaer.org
          He was also in "The Prizefighter and the Lady", with Max Baer and Myrna Loy in 1933.

Comment

# A Dozen Socks (1927)
            # K.O. for Cupid (1924)
            # Bring Him In (1924)
            # Winning His Way (1924)

Regards,
            Cat
            www.maxbaer.org
            My only source is a ring magazine article on fighting off ****sexual rape. I am gonna start running my threads by you first.lol

Comment

Prizefighter flick

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
              He was also in "The Prizefighter and the Lady", with Max Baer and Myrna Loy in 1933.
              Y'know I have that movie on VHS, DVD and now I have a scene on my site, but for the life of me I can't remember if Dempsey plays 'himself' in that or not !? It makes sense that he does, since he was a promoter by then so the role wouldn't be a stretch. They sure don't give Carnera many lines in that movie. Poor guy, besides being shy, his English was poor so everyone made fun of every word that he did manage to get out !

Regards,
              Cat
              www.maxbaer.org

Comment

My only source is a ring magazine article on fighting off ****sexual rape. I am gonna start running my threads by you first.lol
                Honestly, I'm not trying to call you on the carpet or anything, I'm just really interested. I'm kinduva factoid freak about most things historical. I started researching Baer first, but then I branched off to learn about everybody in his orbit so I'm always on the lookout for behind-the-scenes stuff about Dempsey, Schmeling, Louis, etc. and now I'm reading bios about the sports editors of the era too !

Take care,
                Cat
                www.maxbaer.org

Comment

Honestly, I'm not trying to call you on the carpet or anything, I'm just really interested. I'm kinduva factoid freak about most things historical. I started researching Baer first, but then I branched off to learn about everybody in his orbit so I'm always on the lookout for behind-the-scenes stuff about Dempsey, Schmeling, Louis, etc. and now I'm reading bios about the sports editors of the era too !

Take care,
                  Cat
                  www.maxbaer.org
                  No I was just teasing it doesn't bother me. I have footage of Baer training with Buddy, singing and chopping wood. I will see if I can find it in my collection.

Comment

=)

No I was just teasing it doesn't bother me. I have footage of Baer training with Buddy, singing and chopping wood. I will see if I can find it in my collection.
                    Phew ! Okay !

I would love to get that footage from you for my clips page ! The part where Max & Buddy are singing about Carnera and at the end Max goes "yowza !" is just hysterical.

I only have a low rez version of it up and the end is cut off. Let me know if you'd care to share, thanks !

Regards,
                    Cat
                    www.maxbaer.org

Comment

Working...
                    X