No announcement yet.

How do I start training....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I start training....

I'm so ready to start boxing but I dunno how lol. I don't know how to train, how much to run, what to eat. I'm dying to box but dunno where to start. Plus I live in montreal, canada. Not exactly boxing capital of the world. So the closest gyms are like 45 min away. And there probably like 1-2 in the whole city. Seriously guys, any tips would help.

well first remember always lose the weight first before u start lifting weights...so jog in the morning like i have been told 6 miles..thats about a hour or a lil bit more...dont drink soda or coffee to mcuh or at all if u can...first get down to the weight u want then start doing ur abs and lifting...

crunches and push ups will be essential when you start lifting and all that...but there are other guys here that can explain this better then me ia m just pointing out the main things here...i am trying to get down to 140 so i can start boxing also

Comment

First of , if you don't mind me askin' how old are ya' . You mentioned that there's 1 or 2 boxing gyms in the whole city. So why not join, you don't have to be in shape first and then join, the boxing workout itself will get you in shape. However if transportation or the distance of the gyms is what's stopping you, then the best thing to do is buy those boxing video's. You can also go to websites like www.titleboxing.com. to get those videos or do a web search there maybe some former fighters out there that just love to train people out of their garage or backyard, and you might just end up with a coach who has more to offer and much cheaper, than joining an establishment that would charge you between 80-100 dollars, I don't know how much that is in Canadian currency. I don't necessarily think you have to focus on cardio first and then lift weights after you've lost weight ,doesn't make much sense to me. I say do both, you get your lungs pumpin' and at the same time build strength. I don't know how much knowledge you have of fitness in general. Do you have any friends that might be interested in working out together and again there's tons of books out there on weightlifting that also include basics on nutrition. See there's tons of different weight programs, theories and studies out there, but the best thing to do is keep it basic and not get caught up in the mumbo jumbo of the fitness world. The best thing to do is just go out there and JUST DO IT! Also you might just wanna sign up at a health club and start talking to people and you might end up finding someone that's into boxing.
      Last edited by rsl; 09-21-2004, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Thnx guys.

Ima start on that road work Hurlex thanx but Ima include some iron in it. How much you weigh now and how long have you been training?

rsl- I'm 20, 21 in december. I don't plan on becoming champion of the world but I want to start cuz I love the sport. Also, I know a lot about training and nutrition...but for bodybuilding though lol. Not the same thing. In BB (to sum it up a bit), high protein and carbs for buildup and high protein, low carb for cuts. Traning is free weights, avoid machines, 3-4 sets 10-12 reps. Lower reps, high weight if you wanna get stronger.

I dunno what the regime is for boxing. But I'll look into it. And if I want to start, I guess BASICS is the way to go lol. thanx again

Comment

Do yoga/stretching first....become more mind/body conscious and flexible. This will make training much easier and more efficient.

P.S. Buy a good speedrope.

Comment

Roy Jones does yoga, I wouldnt rule that out...Actually I had roy jones workout plan and it HARDLY consisted of weights at all....

Also free weights are good but I feel using your body weight will make you stronger, Im not saying free weights are bad but half of the people lifting today cant even do 20 pushups....I like bodyweight exercises but to each their own, each person has their own ways of training as everybody is different and react differently.

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
              I'm so ready to start boxing but I dunno how lol. I don't know how to train, how much to run, what to eat. I'm dying to box but dunno where to start. Plus I live in montreal, canada. Not exactly boxing capital of the world. So the closest gyms are like 45 min away. And there probably like 1-2 in the whole city. Seriously guys, any tips would help.

I totally understand that one about the whole deal finding a gym...The only gym in my town is open from 5pm to 8pm, Their is noway in hell I can go to those hours and that isnt very long if you ask me.

My other option is a guy who trains out of his home, I talked to him on the phone he said he trains professionals only and not amatuers, because it is easier to get them fights and he is not usa boxing certified...

Basically im S.O.L.

I've been pondering about just renting a storage building for a couple bucks a month and put a gym in their for me to work out on and find someone to get certified....

Comment

Originally posted by spinksjinx
                I totally understand that one about the whole deal finding a gym...The only gym in my town is open from 5pm to 8pm, Their is noway in hell I can go to those hours and that isnt very long if you ask me.

My other option is a guy who trains out of his home, I talked to him on the phone he said he trains professionals only and not amatuers, because it is easier to get them fights and he is not usa boxing certified...

Basically im S.O.L.

I've been pondering about just renting a storage building for a couple bucks a month and put a gym in their for me to work out on and find someone to get certified....
                5-8!!!???! wtf kind of gym is that? lol But yea, I was thinking of buying a heavy and speed bag and set up shop in mah garage. Only thing for winter I'm screwed cuz tehre's no heating there. It's like a freezer in winter. So I dunno. I'll find a way...

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
                  5-8!!!???! wtf kind of gym is that? lol But yea, I was thinking of buying a heavy and speed bag and set up shop in mah garage. Only thing for winter I'm screwed cuz tehre's no heating there. It's like a freezer in winter. So I dunno. I'll find a way...

Yeah I thought those hours were oddball as well, it is a damn nice gym! Huge/heated/air conditioned/has about 6 speed bag and 6 heavy bags, 4 double end bags...Nice equipment and a damn nice locker room and a good size boxing ring as well....I walked up one day and read the hours it says 5:15 am-7:45 pm. I was estatic about going so I showed up the next morning at 6a.m. and nobody was their, I would the number on the door and was like "hey where you at" and the guy got an attitude and was like Im sleeping and the gym dont open til around 5 tonight and hung up on me!

On top of that the hours vary, for when that guy comes in and it is only in the evening...

I was just like AHHH COME ON!

All that nice equipment and only opened 3 hours a day 6 days a week

I would like to put that stuff to GOOD USE!

Anyhow yeah it would be balls freezing cold in the winter...Maybe you could hook up a heater or something in their?

I have the whole shabang in my basement already, but im running out of space to move around in so I am dying to get more room....'

I have a double end bag/heavy bag/speed bag/weights/slam man/boxing gloves and mitts and everything just the essentials but hardly any room to work anything and my ceilings are REALLY low less then 6 feet down their.

However if you are tight on a budget go on over to sams club and they have an everlast stand with speed bag and heavy bag INCLUDED! for like 150!

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...cfkjdgoodfkh.0

That is what it looks like, doesnt seem like to bad of a buy...Id be all for training myself or having someone I know do it, But I prefer someone with boxing experience and well im not getting that here obviously....So I have no other choice.

Comment

Keep it simple....especially at first.

-Yoga, like Nicht said, can be useful.Flexibility and coordination are key for preventing injury and maximizing the rest of your training.

-Running is also great for stamina, lower body strength, and abs as well. Find a site on running technique before you go. Running wrong can be extremely bad on your joints as well as looking silly.

-Simple compound movements for your workout. Pushups, Squats, clean and jerk, and plyometric jumping exercises.

-Eat a well balanced but high protien diet. Eat a moderate amount of carbs as you will need them to train.

-Get a speed rope.

-GO TO A GYM.

Comment

Working...
                    X