Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis= Top 3 in History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His best wins are Vitali Klitschko and old version of Mike Tyson. If that are great wins, than he is a great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      It’s impossible to rate a guy that high when he was ktfo by two club fighters while in prime.
      Indeed. People at trashing Joshua because he was stopped by Ruiz, but hyping Lewis for being stopped twice in prime?

Comment

Lewis couldn't even knock McCall down as the latter was crying around the ring without protecting himself. This after being knocked out in the first fight.

And he had to push Tyson down after he hit him to score his much bragged-about knockout of the shot version of Iron Mike.

Frank Bruno - well past his prime - was beating him before Lewis landed a Hail Mary. Rahman knocked the shìt out of him in the first fight. Klitschko was giving him hell before getting cut. Shannon Briggs (that's right) rocked him BAD in the first round.

His win against Ray Mercer was a robbery.

Less important, but still true: Lewis was often quite boring to watch.

Good fighter, but - again - not top 3. I struggle to include him in my top 10 to be honest.

It's unfortunate that Andrew Golota was a nut case. Or else, he would have knocked out BOTH Bowe and Lewis at the time. Before someone tells me that Lewis knocked out Golota, that version of Golota was already (mentally) damaged goods.
        Last edited by Tatabanya; 01-13-2020, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Good fighter, but he was building his reputation by stopping guys Mike Tyson already stopped before him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky12 View Post
            Decent post and thanks for the input but I still feel overall is behind the likes of Muhammad Ali and Lennox Lewis.Hence these two I feel would have beaten Marciano due to their greater strength and better boxing ability.Hence again from reading boxing historians and those who trained him and others in the boxing fraternity who were there at his time didn't really rate him as pure technician?
            That's fair, I did just tell the other guy Lennox is one of if not the best champion of all time. I'm a fan myself.

I'd agree with the latter assessment. The Marciano fans who claim Rocky was a deceptively good boxer are a bit delusional. He's not a boxing technician by any means. What I see a lot of young people key in on is small adjustments that lead to in-ring success. Which is a fair measure of boxing skills for novice eyes, but, historians long before I ever wrote anything on Rocco have pointed out, to the trained eye Marciano has more in common with the bare knuckle era fighters of london prize ring than queensberry technician boxers. He is essentially a bare knuckle fighter with gloves on being told the rules as he fights quite often.

If you watch a Marciano fight most of them that are filmed feature his crouch at some point at least. I'm sure you well aware of it. Next time you watch Marciano take a crouching posture try to imagine him as a spartan soldier in full spartan gear. His left hand his the shield and his right hand is the sword. It doesn't work well for points because it was never made for points.

To each his own, Lewis and Ali are great HW champions. Both could easily be considered the best.

Comment

All lennox opponents should do a best I've faced to see where they rate lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Matt60 View Post
                I'm surprised that Lennox Lewis doesn't get more love when it comes to the All-time GOAT list. His resume is one of the strongest in history.
                Boxrec has Lennox Lewis #15 all time.

He has two losses, both avenged. Which is impressive, but his losses are to the #69 and #70 heavyweights of all time.

He was ducked by Bowe and ducked by Tyson, which robbed him of a chance to prove himself, but he may not have won both of those fights. He also ducked John Ruiz, so he loses a lot of sympathy garnered by Bowe and Tyson ducking him.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                  Boxrec has Lennox Lewis #15 all time.

He has two losses, both avenged. Which is impressive, but his losses are to the #69 and #70 heavyweights of all time.

He was ducked by Bowe and ducked by Tyson, which robbed him of a chance to prove himself, but he may not have won both of those fights. He also ducked John Ruiz, so he loses a lot of sympathy garnered by Bowe and Tyson ducking him.
                  That's a good post, but, Boxrec rankings are crazy as hell. Wills over Dempsey?

How about this. Look at the active rankings, Deontay is second and Povetkin is 7th.

Now click the inactive and Wilder falls to 63 while Povetkin gets elevated to 55.

I know it doesn't have much to do with your post and don't mean to present like I'm leading into an argument. I just looked at the Boxrec all time ranks because 15 seemed kinda low to me for a points system and noticed a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
                    Tyson was dead, I would not include him in the list. Only Lewis still brags about beating that shot shell of Tyson (full of Zoloft, for good measure).
                    Ruddock had been softened by the very Tyson.
                    Klitschko was giving Lewis hell before suffering that horrible gash.

Lewis was a good fighter for sure, but definitely not all-time top 3.

PS getting knocked out by Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman while in your prime doesn't help.
                    I'll go with this, definitely. These are the things people fail to mention whenever someone says Lewis is the best HW, or one of the top few.

Second half of the top 10 for Lewis.

Comment

I have Lewis in my top 10 but toward the bottom of the ten. Great career but inconsistency hurt him by getting knocked out a couple times. Loved him when he was champ though.

Comment

Working...
                      X