No announcement yet.

Question about Skipping Ropes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Skipping Ropes

What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post
    What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?
    you seem to be very curious about this,have you tried any of them,if so get the one that you feel more comfortable with,

Comment

I'm interested in why you are so interested in it being a workout for the arms.
      There are tonnes of decent arm exercises other than skipping. Hee hee.

You can obviously get weighted skipping ropes (the handles are fairly heavy). But while you will get more tired in your arms skipping with one of these, you will likely not be quite as quick (fewer reps per minute), therefore your legs will get less of a workout.

My favorite ropes are made from the plastic/rubbery material, Reebok do a good one! These are not weighted. I find that they are faster and more durable than the leather ropes.

Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork.

Comment

seconded. dont do skipping for your arms. i also prefer the light plastic ones

Comment

If the best workout for your arms is your main priority for skipping ropes then you can get ones that are a metal rope (usually coated in plastic/rubber) with metal handles.

But skipping is more considered a fast paced cardio workout or a warmup. If you do it fast with a regular speed rope you will feel it in your arms/shoulders too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            I'm interested in why you are so interested in it being a workout for the arms.
            There are tonnes of decent arm exercises other than skipping. Hee hee.

You can obviously get weighted skipping ropes (the handles are fairly heavy). But while you will get more tired in your arms skipping with one of these, you will likely not be quite as quick (fewer reps per minute), therefore your legs will get less of a workout.

My favorite ropes are made from the plastic/rubbery material, Reebok do a good one! These are not weighted. I find that they are faster and more durable than the leather ropes.

Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork.
            Originally posted by josh-hill View Post
            seconded. dont do skipping for your arms. i also prefer the light plastic ones
            the arms assist the wrists when working the skipping rope,you two seem to be speculating that arms have nothing to do with the rope skipping process

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
              the arms assist the wrists when working the skipping rope,you two seem to be speculating that arms have nothing to do with the rope skipping process

Mr Boxer,

Please see my final paragraph,

'Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork'

The arms are part of the full body!

I dont mean to be sarcastic but your post was pretty weak. I've skipped rope for two decades, its something I do rather well!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post
                Wtf is an iron skip rope?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post

I guess its for those who dont want to be 'chained' down to one rope! Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
                    Probably something like this:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-heavy-ropes.html

has any one used one of these? they seem like they would be better then ones with just the weighted handels. the weight looks evenly distributed so im thinking it might be easier to swing faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X