Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The geneology of "a cross" in boxing...more confusing than appears!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    That seems to be the problem, finding where it was written.
    This is from "Boxing" colonel WedgeWorth Johnson, printed in 1896 in England.

He makes reference to a "cross counter" which is called so because it goes over the "lead." There is no mention of a jab yet in this text.

Dempsey Circa 1950 writing about punching theory, mentions the jab, the hook but alas...no cross.

Comment

It's really not that confusing.

The term is "right cross" (or the opposite for southpaws) and it simply means to throw a right hand, across your body and over the opponents lead punch. Over time, it has been used interchangeably when someone has thrown a right hand or to put it correctly, a straight right. These days, both terms usually mean the same and the term cross itself isnt used that often.

Training as an amateur, I think I heard it once. In the pro ranks, I think Ive heard commentators and trainers use it fewer times now than footage from 30 or more years ago.

Its just the way language evolves.

Comment

I once heard from a trainer that you jab, then the right hand "crosses" your chest when thrown, and that's where the term came from

Comment

Working...
        X