No announcement yet.

Wildfire 40 miles west of Vancouver

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Wildfire 40 miles west of Vancouver

We've been having a heat wave and drought in Vancouver. There are wildfires all over the province...but yesterday one ignited 40 miles away and the air today is unbearable. I had to close all the windows because my eyes are burning and my nose is getting blocked up and it's way too hot for closed windows. I have 6 fans going in here but it's pretty brutal. We only had 1/10th of the rain we normally get in June and the grass is turning to straw and there is no rain in site forecasted. I'm not sure whether I have permanent smoke damage in here or if the smell will go away once this passes.

This pic is right where I live. Earlier you could barely see across the street.
    Last edited by jaded; 07-06-2015, 03:40 AM.

I heard man

Friend told me about it

And yea, smell will go away

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      I heard man

Friend told me about it

And yea, smell will go away
      Man...I hope so. It stinks in here.
      Last edited by jaded; 07-06-2015, 03:14 AM.

Comment

He's 10 mins from downtown and had to close his windows

I was there a month ago

The heat drains you. Hard to feel energised during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          He's 10 mins from downtown and had to close his windows

I was there a month ago

The heat drains you. Hard to feel energised during the day.
          Yeah...most nights I've been needing to nap. Everybody's been loving the weather up until today. it's been incredible all year...but if this doesn't end soon it's going to be very hard...especially for the elderly and people with health problems. They are warning people to stay indoors with the windows closed.

Your friend lives close to me.

Comment

I walked out the door for work yesterday morning and it appeared to be overcast, despite the forecast calling for clear skies. Then I realized it was smoke not clouds.

Later in the day, the red sun through the smoke haze was very strange, it looked like something you'd see in a science fiction movie.

It's getting worse. There are multiple new fires in southwestern BC today, and the forecast is for sunny and no precipitation for the next week.

I saw this coming. There was little snow in the mountains even in March, and in early-to-mid May the trails in the local mountain parks (Grouse, Seymour, Cyprus) were completely dry. I've never before seen the trails dry in May. Hiking conditions have been ideal for about two months, but normally we need to wait until June and in many years, until July.

Comment

Yep, sending CF firefighters over to Saskatchewan, didn't Vancouver was affected too though. Sucks man, good luck with the weather though.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                Man...I hope so. It stinks in here.
                Boil water with cinnamon, or another spice you like, all day buddy. and light some candles.

Comment

There were more than 50 wildfires over the weekend and over 180 active wildfires in BC. I'm not sure what is going on at the moment in Sechelt...the Island 40 miles west...but I think the wind has changed directions because the smoke has pretty much cleared here today thank God and the smell in here has mostly dissipated or maybe I have gotten used to it and don't smell it as much.

The above pic is just over Stanley Park from the bridge.

The above is Pemberton...the interior about 100 miles from Vancouver (about 140 miles form the other wildfire).

This is right where I live by the seawall.

Last edited by jaded; 07-06-2015, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                    but I think the wind has changed directions because the smoke has pretty much cleared here today thank God
                    There's been lots of smoke today where I am (North Vancouver).

The sun is finally coming out now though.

Comment

Working...
                    X