Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this heavyweight climate the worst in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this heavyweight climate the worst in history?

There has been no good American heavyweights, only the 2 Klitschko brothers. David Haye came along in 2010 but he was all.

We all know who the Klitschko's are going to face next and we all know they are going to beat them, proceeding cautiously, using the jab and more than likely getting a unspectacular late stoppage. People say the early 80's was bad, which it was, but I don't think it was as bad as this age.

Ali was there until 1978, Norton until 1980, Holmes until 1985. But though when Holmes winning all the time was similar to the Klitschko's, from 1978-1985 (when Holmes reigned) was only 7 years. Tyson hit the scene then. We waited 8 years for Wladimir Klitschko VS David Haye, which was the biggest Heavyweight fight by far since Lewis-Klitschko. I don't think we are going to get another Tyson coming anytime soon, cleaning out the division.

IMO this is the worst age in history for heavyweight boxing. What do you guys think?
    2004-2011
    84.62%
    1978-1985
    5.13%
    1955-1960
    7.69%
    Hard to decide.
    2.56%

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
    There has been no good American heavyweights, only the 2 Klitschko brothers. David Haye came along in 2010 but he was all.

We all know who the Klitschko's are going to face next and we all know they are going to beat them, proceeding cautiously, using the jab and more than likely getting a unspectacular late stoppage. People say the early 80's was bad, which it was, but I don't think it was as bad as this age.

Ali was there until 1978, Norton until 1980, Holmes until 1985. But though when Holmes winning all the time was similar to the Klitschko's, from 1978-1985 (when Holmes reigned) was only 7 years. Tyson hit the scene then. We waited 8 years for Wladimir Klitschko VS David Haye, which was the biggest Heavyweight fight by far since Lewis-Klitschko. I don't think we are going to get another Tyson coming anytime soon, cleaning out the division.

IMO this is the worst age in history for heavyweight boxing. What do you guys think?

This is the worst in my opinion, followed by the years....
    1928 to 1935
    1978 to 1985
    1955 to 1963
    1915 to 1928
    1937 to 1945
    1985 to 1992
    1903 to 1908
    1937 to 1945
    1963 to 1970
    1899 to 1905
    1908 to 1915
    1993 to 2003
    1970 to 1978

Anything before 1899 I simply don't want to speculate on and I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. But right now as a quick list and not going over everything in detail this is how I see the heavyweight divisions rankings. I know some era's are shorter than others and There are some years left out and some years overlap. Don't ask me to explain that other than thats just the way my mind works.
    Last edited by JAB5239; 10-11-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

It is NOT the worst. The problem is that there's 2 brothers on top who's far and away superiour to everybody else, but at least there's 2 great fighters and those 2 would be competitive in any era. So the problem is that the 2 top fighters will never fight each other (Which is understandable).

I think the era after Dempsey/Tunney (30'ies) was worse as was the era after Ali and possibly also the later and post Marciano era.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        It is NOT the worst. The problem is that there's 2 brothers on top who's far and away superiour to everybody else, but at least there's 2 great fighters and those 2 would be competitive in any era. So the problem is that the 2 top fighters will never fight each other (Which is understandable).

I think the era after Dempsey/Tunney (30'ies) was worse as was the era after Ali and possibly also the later and post Marciano era.

a terrific point that cannot be overstated

who is to say the klitschko brothers (were they not brothers, of course) wouldnt have some terrific fights against eachother.

i will say this, the top ten is weak and the journeymen and fringe contenders are all out of shape, which is a relatively new phenomenon

and also i think we can all agree that american talented big men don't box anymore, and that's not likely to change any time soon

sure, we might get lucky and have a len bias type talent born next to a boxing gym, but he's likely to play basketball or football or even hockey and baseball and get recruited to play high level collegiately or even get drafted to a pro team as a youth

Comment

85-90 was the worst IMO. At least the early 80s had Holmes.

Comment

The heavyweight division was FAR FAR worse circa 1982 then it is right now there is no way anybody who isn't biased can say otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

What's the bracket for that?

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post

Easily the worst. It actually makes the fat coke heads of the '80s look semi-competent and the '80s were (now) the second worst era for Heavies. Only biased Klitlickers think otherwise. David Haye the best contender of this era? Please. Haye loses to Tucker, Thomas, Witherspoon, Dokes, and probably Page too.

Poet

Comment

I'll take Haye Adamek Chambers Povetkin and Dimetrenko over Weatherspoon, Dokes and freaking Gerrie Coetzee every day of the week.

Of course 2 great fighters(Wlad and Vitali) > 1 great fighter(Holmes)

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

This is the worst in my opinion, followed by the years....
                    1928 to 1935
                    1978 to 1985
                    1955 to 1963
                    1915 to 1928
                    1937 to 1945
                    1903 to 1908
                    1985 to 1992
                    1963 to 1970
                    1899 to 1905
                    1908 to 1915
                    1993 to 2003
                    1970 to 1978

Anything before 1899 I simply don't want to speculate on and I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. But right now as a quick list and not going over everything in detail this is how I see the heavyweight divisions rankings. I know some era's are shorter than others and There are some years left out and some years overlap. Don't ask me to explain that other than thats just the way my mind works.
                    I will never have the "1937 to 1945" era that high on the worst list. IMO it was equal to some eras you listed below.

Comment

Working...
                    X