No announcement yet.

Remembering Salvador Sanchez 29 years later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Salvador Sanchez 29 years later

Hard to believe its been so long since Sanchez died and it still seems weird to me in this day and age to lose such a great fighter in his absolute prime at such a young age.

Salvador Sanchez Remembered

By Gabriel F. Cordero

Salvador Sanchez Narvaez (January 26, 1959 – August 12, 1982) was born in Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico. In February 1980, he won the WBC featherweight title with a thirteenth round KO over Danny Lopez and successfully defended the belt nine times. His defense against Wilfredo Gomez was the the most memorable.

On the morning of August 12, 1982, at about 2AM on the road between Queretaro and San Luis Potosi, Sanchez was tragically killed in an automobile accident. He was only 23. In 1991, Sanchez was inducted posthumously into the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York.

Since 1983 in Santiago Tianguistenco, a Salvador Sanchez Festival commemorates the anniversary of the death of the champion. This year marks the 29th year since Sanchez left us and it’s expected that next year will be a mega international event to commemorate the 30 year anniversary.

For *********.com it was a great experience and honor stay with Sanchez Family during this year’s hometown tribute to the great boxing legend.

One of the greatest. From what I understand he was ready to hang up his gloves young and pursue a career as a doctor. Tragic loss.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Hard to believe its been so long since Sanchez died and it still seems weird to me in this day and age to lose such a great fighter in his absolute prime at such a young age.

Salvador Sanchez Remembered

By Gabriel F. Cordero

Salvador Sanchez Narvaez (January 26, 1959 – August 12, 1982) was born in Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico. In February 1980, he won the WBC featherweight title with a thirteenth round KO over Danny Lopez and successfully defended the belt nine times. His defense against Wilfredo Gomez was the the most memorable.

On the morning of August 12, 1982, at about 2AM on the road between Queretaro and San Luis Potosi, Sanchez was tragically killed in an automobile accident. He was only 23. In 1991, Sanchez was inducted posthumously into the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York.

Since 1983 in Santiago Tianguistenco, a Salvador Sanchez Festival commemorates the anniversary of the death of the champion. This year marks the 29th year since Sanchez left us and it’s expected that next year will be a mega international event to commemorate the 30 year anniversary.

For *********.com it was a great experience and honor stay with Sanchez Family during this year’s hometown tribute to the great boxing legend.
      Lovely idea for a thread mate, I think you should give a post on Salvadore's resume,. I'd like to read your rundown on him. I remember Jeff Fenech saying big things about him when Jeff was still champion.

Comment

The man, nuff said...sal is an atg in my mind and still had much to accomplish, if what hebi says is true, then I wouldnt have been mad, thats something completely respectable. Much respects to a great guy and champ.
        One

Comment

First class Fighter and ATG

He COULD have went on to do amazing things but what he ACTUALLY did was Amazing enough, great fighter and my 3rd favourite Mexican ever - a HUGE list of top notch fighters to choose from there!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
            First class Fighter and ATG

He COULD have went on to do amazing things but what he ACTUALLY did was Amazing enough, great fighter and my 3rd favourite Mexican ever - a HUGE list of top notch fighters to choose from there!
            Good point. People go on and on about unfulfilled potential with him, a lot of times ignoring that what he did was HUGE!

Comment

I remember..

Comment

I don't think anybody would argue that he could have been much greater then JCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
                  I don't think anybody would argue that he could have been much greater then JCC.

I think that would actually make a very interesting thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X