No announcement yet.

Tougher fight for Ward: GGG or Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    I don't think Ward beats Kovalev. I actually think Kovalev has a stylistic matchup advantage with Ward. GGG has a nice jab but Kovalev's jab is a spear. I think Ward has enough speed and size to be able to jump in and grab GGG (not saying thats a good idea but thats another story) Kovalev has great foot movement going back and he doesn't just move meaninglessly. He'll step back and time you with a jab in the same motion, or take a halfstep back and try to counter...it doesnt have to land because he'll try to spin you too. The diff between GGG and Kov is that GGG is machine like and you feel like maybe just maybe you can out box him. Kovalev is a savage but you also have to find him... So while I think Ward has a style disadvantage to GGG as well, he does have good size on him. I've heard GGG does grappling training and is extremely strong so maybe Ward's size (clinching especially...we all know that will be the most integral part of his strat) might matter less..especially if he's dry at the weight. I believe you need an equalizer with Kov (Stevensons sheer explosive power is really the only one to worry about) and that he's too mean, skilled, subtle and devastatingly powerful with every punch in his arsenal to be outboxed at 175. I dont think Ward can outbox or outfight him. Kov's jab to the body would be extremely effective at keeping Ward from lunging in and clinching to stifle the offense. He'd take punishment to try and get any offense
    I agree with Kovalev being the more dangerous fight, he is a much bigger man than GGG, but I absolutely disagree with your analysis.

1) Technically, GGG is much more fluid than Kovalev, he throws better combos, mixes it up very well, while Kovalev mostly relies on straight punches.GGG is also better at cutting off the ring.

2) Assuming Ward is the same fighter as a couple of years ago, there is no way Kovalev wins by jabbing, countering and stepping back. Ward would keep the pace low, beat Kovalev to the punch due to superior hand and foot speed , making it a "boring" UD. Kovalev needs to be the aggressor, he is big, powerful and capable of clever aggression. Stepping back to contol range and to avoid walking into counters, as he did with Bhop , is one thing, trying to win a fight against Ward on his backfoot is an entirely different matter.

Comment

ruport murdock or whoever that bum ward tried to fight is clearly the best matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
        I agree with Kovalev being the more dangerous fight, he is a much bigger man than GGG, but I absolutely disagree with your analysis.

1) Technically, GGG is much more fluid than Kovalev, he throws better combos, mixes it up very well, while Kovalev mostly relies on straight punches.GGG is also better at cutting off the ring.

2) Assuming Ward is the same fighter as a couple of years ago, there is no way Kovalev wins by jabbing, countering and stepping back. Ward would keep the pace low, beat Kovalev to the punch due to superior hand and foot speed , making it a "boring" UD. Kovalev needs to be the aggressor, he is big, powerful and capable of clever aggression. Stepping back to contol range and to avoid walking into counters, as he did with Bhop , is one thing, trying to win a fight against Ward on his backfoot is an entirely different matter.
        why not? arthur abraham was jabbing ward's head off the first 3 rounds and then he inexplicably stopped and just stood there with gloves up for the rest of the fight. pretty sure kovalev brings more to the fight than arthur abraham and you forget that ward's fought nothing but slow figthers his entire career. ward would be clinching for dear life nonstop in this snoozer of a fight. slick boxing

Comment

Working...
        X