Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free boxing on regular television how in the world is that bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free boxing on regular television how in the world is that bad?

How the hell can any damn boxing fan complain about not only more boxing but FREE!!!!! How??? How??

The king of useless threads is at it again.

Comment

I understand your position but free doesn't equal good. Unless I was dead broke and starving I wouldn't eat crappy, inferior food. People dont mind paying for quality. I think the criticism of pbc is a little ridiculous because sports in general is hit or miss the difference is other sports have ten games a night whereas boxing has ten televised fights a week. It's easier to nitpick due to the low output whereas in major sports the bad games just get lost in volume of it all.

Comment

Look, I'm not from the US so I don't care about network/promoter beefs but from what I have seen of this PBC situation, how many good match ups have their actually been? I can count DeGale/Dirrell, Khan/Algieri and Broner/Porter. There is, from what I hear, a show every week, shown on several different channels (dependent upon the magnitude of the fight and the schedule etc). 3 good match ups in many, many weeks just isn't good enough. Especially considering signing a contract with Haymon almost guarantees a lack of communication and work with other major American promoters.

So, in my view, that's what's bad. There is a large stable of fighters lacking quality who will not be bale to fight beyond the stable that Haymon has set up. And this is just how Haymon wants it, setting up boxing's version of the UFC with their own belts etc and in some cases, weight divisions. The problem with that is, major promoters like TR and GBP still have big names contracted to them and will continue to do so, so instead of top class match ups where the best fight the best (in all honesty that hasn't been regular before Haymon), we have an even limited supply of so called "top opponents".

All in all, what was already a decreasing and limited marketplace which very few in the US ever cared about is going to get smaller. The viewing figures have been abysmal. From a UK point of view, the last time Amir Khan fought on so called free to air TV, he pulled in 6 million viewers. These PBC fights on American cable TV are barely pulling in 1 million.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
          I understand your position but free doesn't equal good. Unless I was dead broke and starving I wouldn't eat crappy, inferior food. People dont mind paying for quality. I think the criticism of pbc is a little ridiculous because sports in general is hit or miss the difference is other sports have ten games a night whereas boxing has ten televised fights a week. It's easier to nitpick due to the low output whereas in major sports the bad games just get lost in volume of it all.
          isi t even free though? don't viewers in the us have to pay for cable tv featuring nbc etc?

Comment

Nothing is wrong with free boxing... The problem is for the most part, Haymon doesn't make the fights people want to see. Nothing is wrong with showing these great talented fighters but if the general public feel it isn't challenging than its not worth watching, much like any other sport. No one wants to watch a top seed against the bottom, outside of the hard core fan. Haymon is approaching PBC more as a Manager than Promoter. He doesn't Promote good fights, but puts his fighters up against nearly unknown opposition. If he made big fights for free, numbers would change!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              How the hell can any damn boxing fan complain about not only more boxing but FREE!!!!! How??? How??
              Only a foolish, fake boxing fan would even complain about boxing on cable\dish TV (Not free really, but paid for as part of your normal TV bill). Personally, I think its awesome and I'm glad it happening.

I think it all boils down to WHO is offering the service, as opposed to what is being offered and the conditions. If TR\GBP were making the moves that Haymon is making, to some, all would be right with the universe. But since Haymon is associated with Floyd, and many despise Floyd for some absolutely absurd reason, it becomes a bad thing, corrupt, unworthy or tainted in some way.

That stated, its seemingly OK, for Arum and ODLH to be corrupt to the core drug addicts, thieves etc.... But for strange reason, its not OK, if it were true for Haymon to be cut from the same cloth. I believe that's why many link race to the hypocrisy, because the similarities are so similar but only one side get's the heat.

Perhaps someone could elaborate on why, out of three historic criminals, only one catches heat and ridicule.

And don't anyone who's a lost, mentally deluded soul, come in here to suggest that Arum and ODLH are clean and unblemished, because that would only contribute to the absurdity.

Comment

Free.. not free.. I don't give a f.ck, I want the best possible match-ups that can be made

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  Big fights for free is what the casuals wants. Die hards will watch regardless and have been watching, but Haymon is trying to go after the casual as the casuals will be the ones to carry this into the future. And so far there have only been a few good/decent matchups for the die hards but the casual fan can give a SH IT if its not a big fight. He wants huge numbers? Put Floyds last fight on PBC and only put on super fights, that would bring in the numbers and casuals.

Comment

The more boxing i can watch the better

Comment

Working...
                    X