No announcement yet.

Shadowboxing opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
    I've boxed for 10 years, only if you're a ****** do you hurt your elbows or anything shadowboxing. Shadowboxing is what I lived off, full power since day one.

And obviously never hyperextend, can you not throw a proper punch without hyperextending? You shouldn't be throwing any punch to where your elbow is snapping or you have so much ******ed twisting in the shoulder that its a shoulder/arm punch.

The only time I've gotten any pain in the shoulders and elbow was when boxing with weights, which I had to pull back from shadowboxing with to just doing some endurance training with. It wasn't due to hyperextension neither but more likely pain due to a misalignment between the fist and elbow because of the weight at the end of my arm. The shoulder injury was also due to the weight because with the weights you cannot throw a proper punch without breaking your joints in half, thus it becomes more of an arm punch (straight punches) but serves as a good exercise to build shoulder snap, with the consequence of injuries. To cure the elbow and shoulder, I dropped the weights momentarily and kept in shape with shadowboxing, full power, full extension (NOT hyperextension). SHadowboxing with proper technique will not cause injuries. I understand that alot of people are athletically inept, and if you are one of them that can't for the life of you properly punch then by all means. The point of shadowboxing though is to mimic real fight moves. If you can't throw proper punches during shadowboxing you wont be throwing proper punches in a fight, but those same arm punches you have learnt to throw.

The point is not mimic the action of missing a punch i.e. hyperextension, but control and not a heavybag where you don't learn how to pull the force you launch forward back to regain your balance.
    Maybe that works for you but it kinds breaks the laws or physics in my opinion. All that kinetic energy from your shoulder and elbow will not be released anywhere due to there being no opposite force. That's cool that it's worked for you and you haven't thrown your shoulder out at least

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
      You don't really want to snap the punch too much, it puts a lot of strain on the elbows and the biceps for that matter. Work on being fluid and smooth, accuracy, footwork while punching, etc. Imo and I've told by various trainers that shadowboxing is crucial, and better than even heavy bag work because of the no impact on the hands, wrists, etc.
      I agree completely

Comment

Originally posted by AndreLittle2323 View Post
        Maybe that works for you but it kinds breaks the laws or physics in my opinion. All that kinetic energy from your shoulder and elbow will not be released anywhere due to there being no opposite force. That's cool that it's worked for you and you haven't thrown your shoulder out at least
        Lol, ok. Just know that nothing will change in a fight because in a fight the punches thrown (a lot that land, and miss) are closer to shadowboxing punches than heavybag punches and you'll have to learn to pull them back and not have an opponent you can throw all your weight on. Shadowboxing should work those counter muscles too help prevent badly hyperextending. The issues with your elbow is because your arms(probabley due to an overly loose palm, which should be stiff, if not closed) are too loose, and your snapping your elbow, and the issue with your shoulder is because you're causing hyperflexion likely due to throwing an arm punch and not turning into your punches sufficiently and flowing with the punch rolling off the force at the end(The issue I had when I trained with the weights).

Comment

I agree with split second, throw what ya got. Throw it fast and bring it hard and let your hands go often. If you throw garbage punches during shadow boxing you will easily tire in a bout having to throw hard. If you turn your **** over properly the elbow will not be affected......

Comment

I throw my punches out there when I shadowbox. I was taught long ago in Aikido to never lock out your elbows when you punch anyway, so hyper extension really shouldn't be a factor. You have to work those opposing muscles so that when you miss in a real fight it doesn't hurt as bad. I also like to gauge my range when I shadowbox. I tend to get pretty close to the mirror when I do and come close to hitting it often. It's good to know just where the end of your punch is, especially for effective jabbing. Further, I learned in football, and martial arts, that you play like you practice. I don't like to practice half speed, or half distance on my punches (except for going all out in sparring). I like to shadowbox the same way I would fight, and I don't feel throwing a punch out halfway gets that done

Comment

I just feel that if you throw with all you got that you will screw up a ligament due to there being no object for the force of the punch to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreLittle2323 View Post
                I just feel that if you throw with all you got that you will screw up a ligament due to there being no object for the force of the punch to go to.
                If you look at the numbers, most boxers land only 1 in 3 punches or so. The other 2 aren't hitting much, many missing anything completely. You need to condition your body to miss sometimes, and work those opposing muscles to draw your punch back. I'm not saying throw haymakers, but I like to give some good extension

Comment

Most common thing heard during shadowboxing from the coaches is, 'Full extension!' (or words to that effect, 'Nice and long!' ...'All the way out', etc.)

A lot of punches in a fight will miss if an opponent is even halfway decent. Better get used to pulling your punches back when you do miss, 'cos that's when you're most likely to get countered.

CAVEAT Don't fully extend when shadowboxing with weights. Hopefully, that's obvious anyway...

The way a person fights is a reflection of their training. Shadowboxing should be fast, loose and realistic!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X