Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Boxing Books

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -As far as bios, if prose set in a time and space is your fancy, hard to go wrong with AJ Leibling.

In thoroughness to detail and fact suits you, Thomas Hauser your man.

Many others already mentioned of course, yet sadly some mockery bios with little substance in fact almost to the point of cartoonish.

Comment

G’day ChrisJS

I’m not sure if there was a book written on Rose or Fammo but a book on Rose would be a gem if someone could really capture his rise and fall well it would take a good writer to do that though

The book I read on Jack Carroll also talked about Ron Richards who also made thousands of pounds and died broke but it focused more on Carroll just that Richards was one of his opponents

Richards ten fight rivalry with Fred Henneberry was covered well in the book though and Richards is one of the great Aboriginal fighters not many know of he put Archie Moore on the deck in their first fight

Cheers
      Macca

Comment

Originally posted by Hugedealmacca View Post

Edit: had to replace cra**er which is aussie for fantastic with gem I forgot you yanks dont understand our slang
        I think some website bots are prurient or just timid.

No idea why cra**er was banned, or what it is! I've checked three Aussie slang websites for anything beginning with cra... and didn't find anything rude.

I don't know what to make of it, COBBER:
        https://www.australiaday.com.au/get-...nary/letter/c/

Nothing to make one CRACK A FAT:
        http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

So, CRIKEY, it's beyond me!
        https://nomadsworld.com/aussie-slang/

And the cra....word on this site only is the well-known slang word for toilet.
        https://www.australiatravelsearch.com.au/trc/slang.html

If something in America that means toilet means GEM in Australia, well, so what, Dame Edna wouldn't even get her knickers in a twist about it.

Just testing...crapper. (edit...no, that's fine here!)

Comment

G’day ChrisJS

I’m not sure if there was a book written on Rose or Fammo but a book on Rose would be a gem if someone could really capture his rise and fall well it would take a good writer to do that though

The book I read on Jack Carroll also talked about Ron Richards who also made thousands of pounds and died broke but it focused more on Carroll just that Richards was one of his opponents

Richards ten fight rivalry with Fred Henneberry was covered well in the book though and Richards is one of the great Aboriginal fighters not many know of he put Archie Moore on the deck in their first fight

Cheers
          Macca
          Books exist on both. Autobiographical too. Rose one was written when he was still champ whereas Famechon was written pretty much as soon as he retired. I’ll be getting them shortly and give feedback.

Another absolutely brilliant book is by Welsh boxing historian Lawrence Davies on Jack Scarrott called prizefighters. It’s about the boxing booth days and features Scarrotts memoirs.

Edit: I just ordered the Famechon and Rose books and should get round to reading them shortly. I also ordered a Benny Lynch book from 1990 that was part of the Lonsdale Classics series. It’s a biography of him.
          Last edited by chrisJS; 08-01-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

H’day ChrisJS,

I’ll have to have a good search around for those books being a boy around that time I probably forgot the books came out

You should check out Jack Carroll and the rise of Australian Boxing too it is one of the best books on Australian boxing I have read

Cheers,
            Macca

Comment

Easily, it's Beyond the Ring By Bruce or Peter Sammons. Greatest boxing book, I couldn't put it down once I opened it. This book answered all of my questions..…..Rockin'

Comment

- -Bob Mee again.

His "BOXING" a massive plank 12" tall and 1.5" thick can do double duty in defensively bum rushing an intruder emptying his gun into you before knocking him out with the beast.

100 profiles of the best fighters interspersed with the profiles of the most seminal fights.

Even yer grrl gonna be captivated...Win/Win/Win rated!

Comment

H’day ChrisJS,

I’ll have to have a good search around for those books being a boy around that time I probably forgot the books came out

You should check out Jack Carroll and the rise of Australian Boxing too it is one of the best books on Australian boxing I have read

Cheers,
                  Macca
                  I read both Famechon's and Rose's books and enjoyed them. Good, straightforward reads from two likable champions. Same structure. They talk about their upbringing, how they started fighting, their careers etc; Rose's stops after the Castillo fight and before he'd fought Rudkin and Famechon's was penned right after he retired.

Comment

Working...
                  X