Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you think Teofilo Stevenson would've done as a pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you think Teofilo Stevenson would've done as a pro?

first of all, he had great skills, he was like Ali, he had the speed of a lightweight and the body of a heavyweight, he also had great power. what if he turned during the divisions toughest era: the 70's? Could he be a worthy contender or even champion. He was actually offered a deal to fight Ali in his pro debut for the heavywieght title, but refused. If he didn't refuse, he could've been the second man to fight for the title in his pro debut, the first being Pete Rademacher who fought Floyd Patterson in his pro debut for the title. Anyway, I think he could've been a worthy contender, but I can't see him beating the likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, or Norton. He would've had a decent chance aginst them, but he wouldn't beat them, maybe he could've been champ in the late 70's/early 80's, who knows? your thoughts?

Originally posted by ceboxer15 View Post
    first of all, he had great skills, he was like Ali, he had the speed of a lightweight and the body of a heavyweight, he also had great power. what if he turned during the divisions toughest era: the 70's? Could he be a worthy contender or even champion. He was actually offered a deal to fight Ali in his pro debut for the heavywieght title, but refused. If he didn't refuse, he could've been the second man to fight for the title in his pro debut, the first being Pete Rademacher who fought Floyd Patterson in his pro debut for the title. Anyway, I think he could've been a worthy contender, but I can't see him beating the likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, or Norton. He would've had a decent chance aginst them, but he wouldn't beat them, maybe he could've been champ in the late 70's/early 80's, who knows? your thoughts?
    These two are contradictions.
    Oh, I think he would have gotten knocked out rather fast.

Comment

10 ten p4p ATG

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
        These two are contradictions.
        Oh, I think he would have gotten knocked out rather fast.
        i didn't mean he could match up with Ali, I meant his fighting style was similar, but of course Ali was better, and Ali would defentily KO him, no doubt.

Comment

he would get wrecked...easy as that.

Comment

i didn't mean he could match up with Ali, I meant his fighting style was similar, but of course Ali was better, and Ali would defentily KO him, no doubt.
            I meant that being like Ali and being technically sound is a contradiction.
            Hence, I meant that Ali was not the greatest technician in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
              I meant that being like Ali and being technically sound is a contradiction.
              Hence, I meant that Ali was not the greatest technician in the world.
              oh, i see.

Comment

He had the natural ability and power and with a good trainer would have been succesful as a professional but to what degree who knows.

Keep in mind that many of his victims at the international amateur level came against young heavyweight fighters that hadn't fully developed into men.

RING magazine did a round by round description of a fantasy match between Larry Holmes and Stevenson in 1984. If memory serves me correctly Holmes won a 4 round decison.

As an interesting sidenote, I was in Cuba in 1989 and spoke with many Cubans about sports in general which they are quite passionate bout. Everyone I spoke with idolized Stevenson and no one I spoke with had heard of Muhammad Ali.

Comment

speed of a lightweight my arse . Total exaggeration

Comment

I personaly think he would have beaten Ali of 70's (he was not the same ali of 60's) he would also beat frazier imo! I think he could lose to foreman of late 70's and Larry Holmes!

Comment

Working...
                    X