No announcement yet.

Duran's Most Exciting Fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
    Aside from Leonard and Barkley, I'd say (in random order)...
    • The DeJesus Trilogy
    • Davey Moore*
    • Ken Buchanan
    • Lou Bizarro**
    • Ray Lampkin
    • Carlos Palomino
    • Leoncio Ortiz
    • Pipino Cuevas
    • Ishimatsu Suzuki
    • Monroe Brooks
    • Hector Thompson

*His most incremental, thorough and methodical dismantling of a myth. I've watched this more often than any other.

**Classic predator vs prey match is a perfect metaphor for action on the plains of the Serenghetti where Lions roam...
    These are all great fights
    has any one seen footage of his fight with ernesto Marcel the future feather weight champ?

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      These are all great fights
      has any one seen footage of his fight with ernesto Marcel the future feather weight champ?
      Yep, seen the whole thing. Very weird ending. Not sure why it was stopped to be honest. Marcel was clearly hurt and stumbling around, but not nearly enough for it to be stopped. The quality wasn't good though, so I always figured that the ref must have been seeing something from Marcel that I could not.

Marcel was an amazing fighter though. Very fast and very slick. He had one of the best lead rights I've ever seen, up there with Floyd's. Really good, underrated fighter with some great wins. Should probably get into the HOF one day. He's already on the waiting list.

Don't really understand why he retired as early as he did. Maybe he got tired of it and just decided to go out on top. He was at his peak though and had just beaten Alexis Arguello. Amazing stuff.

Comment

I thought Duran-Moore was a classic.

Comment

The Iran Barkley fight for me. Duran was way into his career and didn't look like he was in shape. Barkley was riding high going into the fight. I don't think that there was a dull moment in that fight

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
            The Iran Barkley fight for me. Duran was way into his career and didn't look like he was in shape. Barkley was riding high going into the fight. I don't think that there was a dull moment in that fight
            I also thought Gil Clancy and Al Berstein did an incredible job commentating on that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
              Aside from the obvious ones like Leonard, or Barkley.
              Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
              I couldn't agree more, but based on the thread-starter's criterion (above), is(are) there any other(s) that come(s) to mind?

Comment

I couldn't agree more, but based on the thread-starter's criterion (above), is(are) there any other(s) that come(s) to mind?
                I will just put an exclaimation point on the ray lampkin fight. This man gave as good as he got until roberto stopped him late.

Comment

I will just put an exclaimation point on the ray lampkin fight. This man gave as good as he got until roberto stopped him late.
                  Lampkin took a vicious left hook to the jaw early in the 14th., the impact of which slammed the back of his head against the canvas, where he remained unconcious for several minutes. He suffered a severe concussion and had to remain in Panama City through the following day for medical observation(s).

[vbtube]Ravr-QsPqAA[/vbtube]

Comment

Lampkin took a vicious left hook to the jaw early in the 14th., the impact of which slammed the back of his head against the canvas, where he remained unconcious for several minutes. He suffered a severe concussion and had to remain in Panama City through the following day for medical observation(s).

[vbtube]Ravr-QsPqAA[/vbtube]
                    That was one of robertos greatest attibutes as a fighter he carried his power into the late rounds as well as any fighter in history.

Comment

That was one of robertos greatest attibutes as a fighter he carried his power into the late rounds as well as any fighter in history.
                      Probably better than most in fact. A lot of very durable guys lasted into the championship rounds and as they tired, like any normal good fighter, Duran kept his power and ferocity which enabled him to get quite a lot of late fight KO's. Brutal ones too. Scary stamina.

I remember an interview with Ken Buchanan and he was talking about the start of the fight. He was saying that with the way Duran came out, like a wildman intent on an early KO, he knew that he only needed to see out the first half and Duran would be so exhausted that he'd get the KO late. He said something about his corner (Gil Clancy) even saying that "Let him punch, he won't be able to last like this past a few rounds" and then suddenly it was starting to get late in the fight, round the 10th etc, and he wasn't slowing down at all. He said he just couldn't believe that he could keep up such ferocity and intensity and it was that more than anything that made him realise what a fighter he was.

Comment

Working...
                      X