No announcement yet.

UFC announces return to Abu Dhabi, five-year partnership 13

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC announces return to Abu Dhabi, five-year partnership 13

The UFC is breaking new ground in the United Arab Emirates.

On Sunday evening, officials announced that the promotion has agreed to a five-year partnership with the Department of Culture and Tourism — Abu Dhabi (DCT Abu Dhabi) ahead of the upcoming UFC 242 event that will take place on Sept. 7 in Abu Dhabi, the UAE capital. MMA Fighting previously reported the Sept. 7 plans and lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov has said he expects to headline the event, presumably against interim champion Dustin Poirier.

A venue for UFC 242 is still to be determined.

Per a release, the UFC-DCT Abu Dhabi partnership is a result of the emirate’s Advantage Abu Dhabi program, which is designed to support and provide benefits to organizers arranging festivals and events in the region. The release also states that “over the course of the partnership, subsequent UFC events held in Abu Dhabi will be headlined by at least one championship bout.”

The UFC has twice visited Abu Dhabi, first back on April 12, 2010, with UFC 112, a show that saw Frankie Edgar upset B.J. Penn for the lightweight title and Anderson Silva successfully defend his middleweight title against Demian Maia in the main event. Four years later, the UFC returned with a fight night event headlined by Roy Nelson and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

“We are making a long-term commitment to Abu Dhabi because we have had great success in that market,” UFC president Dana White said in the release. “The demand from our fans to bring UFC back to Abu Dhabi has been overwhelming, and over the next five years, DCT Abu Dhabi will help us deliver some spectacular UFC championship fights to the UAE.

“I’m very excited about this partnership and what it will mean for the growth of this sport and for UFC in the region.”

How about the UFC owners go back to letting the fighters have their own sponsors and not forcing them to only use Reebok, so that fighters don't leave their company in droves, like WWE wrestlers are starting to do now when they become free agents to join that new AEW promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      How about the UFC owners go back to letting the fighters have their own sponsors and not forcing them to only use Reebok, so that fighters don't leave their company in droves, like WWE wrestlers are starting to do now when they become free agents to join that new AEW promotion.
      Yea that was a awful deal. I suspect its gone for good in 2020 when the deal ends.

Its not only taken money outta fighters hands its taken personality outta fighters.

Although part of me thinks that was the goal to, to make all fighters look the same or similar & take away some of their value/persona to earn more outside of the UFC.

Hopefully they've seen the issues with that now & won't re-up with Reebok or some new ent^ty for UFC "uniforms".

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Yea that was a awful deal. I suspect its gone for good in 2020 when the deal ends.

Its not only taken money outta fighters hands its taken personality outta fighters.

Although part of me thinks that was the goal to, to make all fighters look the same or similar & take away some of their value/persona to earn more outside of the UFC.

Hopefully they've seen the issues with that now & won't re-up with Reebok or some new ent^ty for UFC "uniforms".
        Uniforms only work if you're doing actual team competition, like the IFL did. I was a huge New York Pitbulls fan.

Comment

Working...
        X