No announcement yet.

Fight of the Year | Wilder vs Fury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
    I genuinely want Wilder to lose because he makes a mockery of the sweet science. If Wilder is the best fighter of this era and cleans up the division then I will stop watching or caring about boxing...... footwork, balance and fundamentals don't matter at that point.

What the hell has happened to this sport when a HW champion is spinning around the ring like that?
    I think this is one of the reasons i actually like Wilder fighting style. Totally different to anyone else and for me that is actually intriguing to watch. He might look like he doesn't know what he is doing but you don't stop someone like Ortiz if you don't have the basic fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by Zn1 View Post
      It was like a fencing move minus the sword. Is it his way of showing the crowd how athletic he is? Makes me wonder if he's been taking ballet lessons haha

Wish I caught this the first time.

You are so close. What Wilder does is sword and shield. Boxers fence, punchers fight like a hoplite. Pygmachia is training for the sword and the shield...it's literally how the sport got started. Spartans looking to improve their battlefield arts.

Fencing is more akin to Daniel The Jew Mendoza. What you see as boxing, defensive posture and position, defensive guard, footwork, counters, etc. all come from The Jew and is rather similar to fencing techniques. Riposte and stuff like that.

So in this fight it is Fury who is the fencer and Wilder who is the sword and shield. The left is his shield, the right his sword. The left does what shield things do, bumps you into position, messes with you posture, defends your blows aggressively etc. The sword is likewise obvious. It's for pinpoint destruction.

The reason Wilder is spinning is because Wlad got twisted by Fury. I have half a mind to put that fight to chubby checker "let's do the twist". Both are very good at pivots. Something that has sadly been overlooked by the Joshua argument....Josh needs to work on pivots. Which presents a new challenge to both. Wlad is a track fighter. In and out on tracks, very predictable, very hard to do anything about it. This is a major, major, difference in how the fight will be fought. Wilder wants to be able to hit him no matter what the juxtaposition is. They will posture, the will position, they will exchange, and they will move during their exchanges.

Wilder saw some level of this against Ortiz and it almost stopped him. I'm sure what he's mostly doing is building a confidence toward the idea that no matter what Tyson does he'll be able to clip Mister Fury.

I wouldn't be so quick to discredit those who do not need traditional boxing training to be successful. The most successful history has to offer are these men. It's what drew me to Wilder in the first place.

My favorites are Glaukos, Marciano, and now Wilder because everyone else needed to be trained properly. These men were simply born to do it. Too powerful, too tough, too driven, too much gladiator to ever lose to Mendoza. Most people who ever lived ever needed proper training that began sometime in the teens. This includes the ancients. Most people in all of history can not, did not, and will not do what Rocky Marciano did. That's some ****in' weight. If Wilder is great enough to join him Wilder would only be the fifth unbeaten HW in ALL of boxing history from 686 BC to now. He'd be the third undertrained puncher and he'd be the tie breaker.

Glaukos, Theagenes, Melankomas, and Marciano is the full list of never lost champions. Glaukos had little training, Marciano had little training. Theo and Mel were trained from young ages.

What does that say to you? a thousand years passed and a thousand years between Glaukos to Melankomas as well and we have two who trained a lifetime to be boxing gods while two trained only to begin their careers. Four unbeaten champions from 686BC to now, only one in the modern era...it's pretty cool if you're into history....look at everyone who failed....most people who ever lived ever could not do what Marciano did.

It is fitting that Wilder is so one sided and Fury likewise his equal opposite. What they are fighting for, with, and against, is much much bigger than a WBC or even Lineal title even if not many know it.

Fun fact, Mendoza and Mendoza School never beat the old ways out of the sport. It's not wins and loses that saw the death of pygmachia. It isn't even cleaning up the sport to make it legal that did it. It is simply boxing makes boxers more money and gets them less injuries. So it behooves the boxers to box.

Not saying one is inherently better, just that both exist to this day because neither has made the other obsolete.

Comment

Could be. The real problem we got though is we don't know, and can't know, whether Fury is a dud at this stage or not. Could be his lay off and substance and mental health problems have ruined him at the top level, or maybe they haven't.

If he loses we won't know whether it's because Wilder is that good (or at least dangerous) or because Fury has declined... if he wins we won't know if it's because Deontay is that bad or because Fury is that special. The only thing I will absolutely guarantee that heated arguments over that very topic will occupy this forum until such time as Joshua and Wilder (or Fury) meet in the ring or either of 'em lose to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Could be. The real problem we got though is we don't know, and can't know, whether Fury is a dud at this stage or not. Could be his lay off and substance and mental health problems have ruined him at the top level, or maybe they haven't.

If he loses we won't know whether it's because Wilder is that good (or at least dangerous) or because Fury has declined... if he wins we won't know if it's because Deontay is that bad or because Fury is that special. The only thing I will absolutely guarantee that heated arguments over that very topic will occupy this forum until such time as Joshua and Wilder (or Fury) meet in the ring or either of 'em lose to someone else.
          It won't stop after they fight, I guarantee that.

Comment

I've added Yarde to the undercard in the OP, and still need updates on the TBA opponents

Comment

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
              Fight of the year? Haha haha haha
              AGree, think that may be Nelo v GGG II

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                AGree, think that may be Nelo v GGG II
                Definitely Golovkin vs Alvarez 2. They can't beat that no matter how hard they try.

Comment

Another cool piece of art I found on twitter

Comment

That is cool.

Comment

Hopefully the curse of the Freddie Roach prediction won't ruin Fury's night

Comment

Working...
                      X