Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 90's Heavyweight division is overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 90's Heavyweight division is overrated.

We look back on the greats Lewis and Holyfield and their two match ups. Holyfield's trilogy with Bowe, and Mike Tyson's reign where he fought mostly okay fighters, and beat no great heavyweight in my opinion. And we overhype it as though the best constantly fought the best. That could be said of Holyfield. Lewis, obviously has the Holyfield fights as well, but the Bowe fight fell through and Tyson when he was in his prime never happened. Also, the other opponents of some of these names, how good they were gets massively exaggerated. I think that on the whole, at the top, in depth and those coming through, that the heavyweight division is better now, yet it gets down talked massively in comparison to the 90's. I think that sometimes history, and a few special fights/memories, can leave a false effect of the reality of the era on a whole. Let's enjoy what we have now, this is a great era for boxing.

It's nowhere near better than the 90s era.

Lewis, Tyson, Bowe and Holyfield decapitate every boxer of this era.

Comment

Are you trolling? The 90's was one of the best decades for HW boxing. Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, Tyson, Klitschkos, Byrd, Mercer, Morrison, Golota, Ruddock, Foreman, Tua, Moorer...put the crack pipe down!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
        It's nowhere near better than the 90s era.

Lewis, Tyson, Bowe and Holyfield decapitate every boxer of this era.
        Not Bowe. Massively overrated fighter IMO. I'd say he's about Dillian Whyte level skill wise.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
          Not Bowe. Massively overrated fighter IMO. I'd say he's about Dillian Whyte level skill wise.
          That makes no sense. He was probably the most skilled of the heavyweights from that era, honestly. His issue was his lack of heart and his inability to care about his craft. But Bowe was world class Olympian and silver medalist back when it still meant something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
            That makes no sense. He was probably the most skilled of the heavyweights from that era, honestly. His issue was his lack of heart and his inability to care about his craft. But Bowe was world class Olympian and silver medalist back when it still meant something.
            It doesn't have to "make sense". The fact that he was one of the most skilled fighters of an antiquated era is absolutely irrelevant.

Comment

Heavyweight division has been mediocre since the 2000s and not because of the Klitchsko's either, the entire division has been a disappointment apart from a handful of fighters. Not enough strength in depth.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                well damn lol how did you come to this assessment?

Comment

Some fans love to console themselves with fighters of the past. It's highly irrelevant at this stage.
                  You can't go back and start watch holyfield, lexis or Tyson but we have the current set of HW. So let's work based on what we have not what we wish to have.

Enjoy the match ups and relieve yourself of stress and be happy.

Comment

Competition can often distort views. Often closer competition at slightly lower levels can be viewed as better ability as a result of increased popularity. This is seen across multiple sports, where sometimes “legends” are dismissed because of lack of competition.

Add to that , that people’s view of history is often distorted as they usually remember the highs and forget the lows or middle ground. In addition in boxing in particularly when comparing history you compare someone’s whole career vs present; which for heavyweight boxing can be completely misleading as best years can often be latter years.

We have a situation where because Joshua is so profitable a number are waiting for the battle! But I really do think we will end up looking back at this era (since 2-3 years ago) as a peak time in heavyweight history. The problem for Americans is that it has centered around British fighters mainly.

All these were absolute crackers:
                    Takam vs Chisora
                    Chisora vs Whyte
                    Joshua vs Klitschko
                    Whyte vs Joshua
                    Parker vs whyte
                    Wilder vs Ortiz

(Note how Whyte is on 3 of these, which is why he is becoming more popular and a ppv star in the uk in his own right). There are other fights too I haven’t included as I didn’t think they met the hype like Joshua vs Parker, Bellew vs haye (1&2)

Add to that already scheduled:
                    Whyte vs Chisora 2
                    Fury vs wilder

We could easily look back in 3-4 years time in a completely different view set. Live the present and not the past
                    Last edited by Kezzer; 11-20-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X