No announcement yet.

Boxing gloves for long thumbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing gloves for long thumbs

I'm a heavyweight standing at 6'4 and while I don't have very wide hands for my size, I do have long fingers, especially my thumbs. When I make a fist and point my thumb straight forward, the thumb protrudes about an inch past the forwardmost knuckle.

I think what I need is a glove that has a long enough thumb to cover mine, that tucks the thumb downward and inward and which has thick enough padding on the knuckles that the knuckles take all the force without the thumb even making contact.

The gloves I have now are fairtex bgv9 (mexican heavy hitter) in 16 oz and fairtex bgv11 (f-day). What i'm doing now is wrapping my hands a lot and also using winning knuckle guards to create more padding between the glove and my knuckle, so what my whole hand gets pushed further back away from the front of the glove and therefore giving me that same space in the thumbs.

With the bgv9 my thumbs protrude past the padding, but due to how the thumb is curved inwards and kind of hidden i'm ok most of the time. With the bgv11 the thumb is longer and it's almost ok, but my thumb does make contact with the glove's thumb and because the thumb on the glove sticks forward more than curving inwards the glove thumb takes some of the impact and transfers some of the hit to my thumb. Not a disaster, but uncomfortable if I'm hitting hard.

The main focus is to find something that will work well on pads and for drills as the bgv9s work fine on the bag and I never hit hard enough in sparring for it to matter much anyways.

I live in norway, so going to a store an testing will be nearly impossible, and returning stuff bought online will be a pain. I'm currently considering everlast powerlock in 18oz or cleto reyez in 18oz, if anyone has any knowledge about how those are in terms of thumb length and shape.

Have you gotten any estimates for custom gloves?

Comment

I'm 6'3" and my fingers are so long that a XXL work glove is snug. I found Grants to have a decent bit of room (though I wouldn't recommend them). I am not a person who recommends Winnings to everyone but they have the BEST finger room of any glove I've tried. Weird that a Japanese glove would work so well for tall guys. You might also benefit from the protection if you have hands that are long but not wide. They're definitely an investment though.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        I'm 6'3" and my fingers are so long that a XXL work glove is snug. I found Grants to have a decent bit of room (though I wouldn't recommend them). I am not a person who recommends Winnings to everyone but they have the BEST finger room of any glove I've tried. Weird that a Japanese glove would work so well for tall guys. You might also benefit from the protection if you have hands that are long but not wide. They're definitely an investment though.
        Im shocked more people dont use winning.

Comment

Working...
        X