Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will have the better career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with Lucas is that he is always coming in as the opponent and unless he flattens the guy he can't get a decision because the house fighter knows as long as he's standing at the end, he's getting the W.

This is what will give Cotto the edge IMO.

Comment

Lucas vs. 140 Cotto would be an awesome fantasy matchup.

I would have to pick Cotto to answer OP's question. He's one a title in 3 weight divisions. Cotto also has a very solid résumé with his best win being Mosley. Lucas has had a good career already and has a lot left in the tank. The difference between the two is that Cotto was always put in position to be successful and get big fights. He's had a lot of opportunity. Lucas' road has been a lot tougher and it's been harder for him to land the big fights.

Comment

I think questions like this will be seen as laughable in a year or two. Someone will pop that Matthysse hype bubble.

Comment

The names that Cotto built his name off of don't exist for Lucas. Lucas will be the weaker of the two resumes, purely because of his times.

Comment

Funny because they fought common opponents like Judah and Corely. Lucas nutthuggers go overboard with the whole "Lucas got robbed against Judah". It was a fight decided by only a round or 2 and it could of gone either way.

If Lucas finishes out his career strong beating guys like Marquez, Garcia, Khan, Broner, Maidana and Bradley(If by some miracle Top rank & GB co-promotes) he'd have a hell of an arguement even if he lost to Floyd like Cotto.

Cotto only loss to the very best. Margarito has question marks but he was the #1 guy at WW Oscar & Floyd were ducking. And Cotto even avenged that loss in epic fashion. Other then that he's only lost to P4P #1 fighters like Pac & Floyd. Trout is solid champion too with a bright future.

It will be hard to see Lucas going through all those guys I mentioned because eventually all these wars will take their effect like they did on Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva in MMA who Mattysse reminds of in their primes. Bradley & Marquez could give him the fight of his life I don't know if he could stop them because they are slick counter fighters. Marquez sharp shooting and Bradley's finesse and elusiveness. And if Broner could beat Maidana he'd be a tough fight for Mattysse. Mattysse reminds me of a more powerful tougher chin Miguel Cotto. It's just Cotto could box a lot better. Mattysse sets up his attack nicely but he's not as versatile a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
              If Matthysse beats Mayweather he should go ahead of Cotto straight away, no questions asked.
              While I'd probably agree, I don't want to dismiss Cotto's whole career as inferior because of that one win, if Matthysse were to get it. Also, Mayweather would have to lose something to lose to Lucas, and that would need to be considered.

Give Matthysse wins over Mayweather and two of Golden Boy's welterweights, and he'd arguably have the better career. If he could somehow get Marquez before he's gone, even better.

Comment

Originally posted by $Natedatpkid$ View Post
                Funny because they fought common opponents like Judah and Corely. Lucas nutthuggers go overboard with the whole "Lucas got robbed against Judah". It was a fight decided by only a round or 2 and it could of gone either way.

If Lucas finishes out his career strong beating guys like Marquez, Garcia, Khan, Broner, Maidana and Bradley(If by some miracle Top rank & GB co-promotes) he'd have a hell of an arguement even if he lost to Floyd like Cotto.

Cotto only loss to the very best. Margarito has question marks but he was the #1 guy at WW Oscar & Floyd were ducking. And Cotto even avenged that loss in epic fashion. Other then that he's only lost to P4P #1 fighters like Pac & Floyd. Trout is solid champion too with a bright future.

It will be hard to see Lucas going through all those guys I mentioned because eventually all these wars will take their effect like they did on Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva in MMA who Mattysse reminds of in their primes. Bradley & Marquez could give him the fight of his life I don't know if he could stop them because they are slick counter fighters. Marquez sharp shooting and Bradley's finesse and elusiveness. And if Broner could beat Maidana he'd be a tough fight for Mattysse. Mattysse reminds me of a more powerful tougher chin Miguel Cotto. It's just Cotto could box a lot better. Mattysse sets up his attack nicely but he's not as versatile a boxer.
                Marquez isn't slick. If he's not hurting Matthysse and beating him to the punch in an action fight, he gets beat.

Based on what I'm seeing from them lately, I'd pick Matthysse over Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Marquez isn't slick. If he's not hurting Matthysse and beating him to the punch in an action fight, he gets beat.

Based on what I'm seeing from them lately, I'd pick Matthysse over Bradley.
                  Not slick as in athletically slick, I just think he's a slick sharp shooter with his counter punches. The way he avoids some shots and fires a counter combination back is a thing of beauty. Marquez is getting older so it's like Hopkins now you never know when his age will finally get to him.

I don't buy Bradley looked bad against Ruslan. He got hurt alot but he showed the heart of a champion by taking the fans criticism to heart and slugged it out with Ruslan when he could have easily just boxed had a easier fight. I think Bradley goes back to his boxing roots and gives Marquez a tougher time then Pac who he beat 4 times. I think Bradley could mix swarming while picking his shots on the outside and frustrate Mattysse, and if Marquez chin doesn't shatter for the first time, I think he counter punches could frustrate Mattysse too because Marquez eats come forward aggressive fighters for breakfest.

I think JMM will struggle more with Bradley like with Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by $Natedatpkid$ View Post
                    Not slick as in athletically slick, I just think he's a slick sharp shooter with his counter punches. The way he avoids some shots and fires a counter combination back is a thing of beauty. Marquez is getting older so it's like Hopkins now you never know when his age will finally get to him.

I don't buy Bradley looked bad against Ruslan. He got hurt alot but he showed the heart of a champion by taking the fans criticism to heart and slugged it out with Ruslan when he could have easily just boxed had a easier fight. I think Bradley goes back to his boxing roots and gives Marquez a tougher time then Pac who he beat 4 times. I think Bradley could mix swarming while picking his shots on the outside and frustrate Mattysse, and if Marquez chin doesn't shatter for the first time, I think he counter punches could frustrate Mattysse too because Marquez eats come forward aggressive fighters for breakfest.

I think JMM will struggle more with Bradley like with Floyd.
                    I certainly wouldn't count Marquez out or anything against Matthysse, but he's slowed down a lot, obviously. He would pretty much have to exchange. Matthysse's really patient, and punches like a mule. It would be incredibly impressive if Marquez won that fight. I think it would be very, very fun, but Lucas would get to him.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      I certainly wouldn't count Marquez out or anything against Matthysse, but he's slowed down a lot, obviously. He would pretty much have to exchange. Matthysse's really patient, and punches like a mule. It would be incredibly impressive if Marquez won that fight. I think it would be very, very fun, but Lucas would get to him.
                      Yeah I'd prefer a Brandon Rios fight for Marquez so he can go out in a war. Still a dangerous fight but not as dangerous. Lucas punches like a legit 147. I don't want to see Marquez go out like Chad Dawson or Paciquao.

I'd love if it he squeaks by Bradley he's deserved a walking away present in Rios. Then he can retire as a top 50 fighter in my book. If KO'd Bradley I'd say 25. I think beating Bradley is the last great accomplishment he needs. I just think it answers alot of the critics he had for winning a paper belt at 140 beating THE GUY from 140 alil over a year ago who was still undefeated.

Closing out vs Rios or Alvarado would be a fun goodbye fight since the Bradley fight may not promise the most exciting fireworks but will be good. Probably won't happen because of top rank/HBO-GB/showtime fued anyway thank God we won't have to see Lucas possibly lay him out.

Comment

Working...
                      X