No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marquez’s One-Shot Finish Worthy of Silver Screen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Marquez’s One-Shot Finish Worthy of Silver Screen

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I suppose I’m what you’d call a cinema savant.

I don’t go to a lot of movies – in fact, I haven’t been to five in the last five years – but when I find one I like I tend to watch it over and over until nearly every sliver of dialogue is memorized.

So it’s hardly a surprise that as Manny Pacquiao lay face down and motionless on the MGM Grand canvas, my early Sunday morning reactions instantly revolved around favorite on-screen quotes.

And by the time Tuesday comes and ring highlights have been dissected Zapruder-style in every cranny of every mother’s basement, it’s a whole lot better way to churn out the week’s 1,000 words.

Here, then, are a few flicks I immediately thought of while still wobbly from a post-KO buzz:

“To beat me, he’s gonna have to kill me. And to kill me, he’s gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he’s got to be willing to die himself.”
    -- Rocky Balboa, Rocky IV, 1985

I concede that quoting a series whose scenes were more caveman than cavalier is an odd tribute to Juan Manuel Marquez; but the more I thought about what it takes to actually employ counterpunching on the highest level, the more I came back to these words from Stallone to screen wife Talia Shire.

While appreciating the beauty of the right hand that ended Pacquiao’s stay atop pound-for-pound lists, the amount of courage it took to be ready to throw such a shot might get lost. Bottom line, while a lot of guys can evade an aggressive foe and later pounce on a tiring attacker, only a few – like Marquez on Saturday – stay deep enough in harm’s way to both draw the fire and launch the decisive return.

Sure, Rocky was talking about a significantly different brand of combat 27 years ago in the fourth-best installment of his signature six-pack, but his theme was still spot on for what occurred in Vegas right around 1 a.m. Sunday. [Click Here To Read More]

They should make a movie on this epic rivalry...

Comment

I wish Marquez's LIbra x Libra documentary was being shown in the U.S.

Chavez sr: "It's Juan Manuel's era, I wouldn't have wanted to fight a fighter like Juan Manuel Marquez"

Comment

a movie would be ****ing awesome, but who would play the two fighters?

Comment

Make a movie about a trilogy? That makes zero sense..there'd virtually be about 6 minutes total of dialogue in the entire film. A biopic on Marquez's entire life makes more sense,from humble beginnings to this weekends result. At least that has the format for a story and in order to pull this off Marquez would have to ride out into the sunset and not put himself at risk of he himself becoming a "Popular ko Gif" which he came mighty close to becoming by his own admission. In all reality both these boxers need time off to get their bearings together, both had concussions and broken up faces.

Comment

He was a genius when rejected to sell rights for his name and image to topRank

Comment

He learn tha"t punch from Danny Garcia

Comment

I dont understand why BS is still publishing this writer. He mentions the controversial Win over Marquez and most can agree with that. But he says a Loss to Bradley when that is more controversial. What a joke. Also, Broner over Pac in a P4P list by beating who? This guy is the worst writer here.

Comment

Marquez was on the verge of being KO's or stopped

No matter what Manny has done before winning 8 titles and some great fights. all Paq will be remembered for is the KO and going out after one good punch face first flat out for 5 minutes in a stunning devastating KO. Manny got KO'd. Paq got Hattoned. That's all folks.

Comment

Speaking of quotes, my new favourite boxing quote was born from Roy Jones Jr. last weekend:

"He not gettin' up, Jim!

HE'S NOT GETTIN' UP, JIM!!!"

That's my new classic line right there. From now on, anytime someone gets brutally KO'ed, I'm saying that out loud. :laff2:

Comment

Working...
                    X