No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson VS Sonny Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson VS Sonny Liston

Prime for prime,who would have won between Mike Tyson and Sonny Liston?

I would give the edge to Liston as because of his size as compared to Tyson.

Prime Mike vs prime Frazier is more intriguing to me personally but I'd pick a prime Mike over Liston (I imagine the stare down would of been immense)

Liston wasn't much bigger than Mike though he had a much longer reach.

Comment

Tyson would break Liston in two.
      moneytheman Ascended SBleeder SBleeder like this.

Comment

Liston by fourth round forced marriage
        The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

The same Liston who stuck it out for a decision with a broken jaw, and the same Tyson who took a one-sided beating for 8 rounds from Lennox Lewis.

We're talking about them right?
          Last edited by JAB5239; 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Mike would be in for a long night with Liston. Liston would beat him.

But it would be an explosive, great fight while it lasts.

Liston would break him down.

Comment

obviously patterson was well past it when he fought liston, and patterson and tyson were different sized guys, but the nature of those two fights lend me to believe that liston would have the answer for tyson for the few rounds that he's truly dangerous. they fight an awful lot alike, patterson and tyson.

the styles favor liston

that's a hell of a puncher against whom to come forward. liston didnt just have a good jab, he had a great jab. maybe the greatest.

tyson would have to make up for a foot of reach by coming forward against one of the hardest punchers and hardest jabbers ever. it would be one thing if tyson could go rounds and wear a man down, but that's really not how he fought. he was most dangerous and pressured / punched with power most consistently in early rounds. after that he was a far lesser quantity.

liston via stoppage in six or seven rounds.
              The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                obviously patterson was well past it when he fought liston, and patterson and tyson were different sized guys, but the nature of those two fights lend me to believe that liston would have the answer for tyson for the few rounds that he's truly dangerous. they fight an awful lot alike, patterson and tyson.

the styles favor liston

that's a hell of a puncher against whom to come forward. liston didnt just have a good jab, he had a great jab. maybe the greatest.

tyson would have to make up for a foot of reach by coming forward against one of the hardest punchers and hardest jabbers ever. it would be one thing if tyson could go rounds and wear a man down, but that's really not how he fought. he was most dangerous and pressured / punched with power most consistently in early rounds. after that he was a far lesser quantity.

liston via stoppage in six or seven rounds.
                Of course Liston was probably just as past-it at the time but that's neither here nor there.

I really can't favor any short-armed pressure against a Foreman/Liston type. It's the one really BAD matchup that I just don't see being overcome.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                  The same Liston who stuck it out for a decision with a broken jaw, and the same Tyson who took a one-sided beating for 8 rounds from Lennox Lewis.

We're talking about them right?
                  Not the fairest of comparisons considering Tyson was so far removed from his prime against Lennox and Lennox was a beast in his own right, but I guess Liston's unknown age kinda counteracts that a bit.

Either way, Liston at his best was tough, had a harmful jab and probably wouldn't have been intimidated by Mike. That in itself is a significant victory against Tyson.

I'd probably take Liston by late stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrital View Post
                    Not the fairest of comparisons considering Tyson was so far removed from his prime against Lennox and Lennox was a beast in his own right, but I guess Liston's unknown age kinda counteracts that a bit.

Either way, Liston at his best was tough, had a harmful jab and probably wouldn't have been intimidated by Mike. That in itself is a significant victory against Tyson.

I'd probably take Liston by late stoppage.
                    That was in response to a, frankly, ******ed post questioning the hearts of both fighters involved.

Sticking in there for all eight of those rounds should've proved that Tyson, without a doubt, had heart.

Comment

Working...
                    X