No announcement yet.

who were you rooting for in the ali/frazier fight of the century

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
    I'm old enough to remember this fight and I'm old enough to remember that the images were fuzzy, that we had to pay for a cinema ticket and that we were all ALi fans, mum, dad, big brother and two sisters. He was the man, England, nay, the entire UK loves him. Witty, talented and ever so handsome, I wanted to be him. I guess all boys my age did.

...And then the left hook struck and Ali fell. There was stunned silence. I think we all knew Ali was losing the fight but the KD drove the point home. I remember having tears in my eyes as Ali got back up, no longer the glorious visage of immortality. Frazier had reduced him to a mere human, a fallen hero. Frazier hurt him, humiliated him, goaded him in the ring. He did to Ali what no man had ever done before and never would again.
    The good old days!

The days when we read about fights in Magazines and the papers. So many fights I didn't see until years later.

I remember I would get home from school and my uncle would have some new tapes of fights that I'd yet to see (Lord knows where he managed to get those)

Boxing fans don't realise how lucky they are these days. So much access, endless access.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      The good old days!

The days when we read about fights in Magazines and the papers. So many fights I didn't see until years later.

I remember I would get home from school and my uncle would have some new tapes of fights that I'd yet to see (Lord knows where he managed to get those)

Boxing fans don't realise how lucky they are these days. So much access, endless access.
      So true. Getting an opportunity to watch any boxing film/tape was a real treat before VCR's were on the market.

Comment

I am an Ali supporter from his beginnings. However I never rout against a competitor like Frazier was, he earns respect from anyone who ever fought.
        The first fight is a classic match featuring two undefeated heavyweight champions. Try and fins the video without commentating, theres just an open mic about 10 or 12 feet above center ring, its the real deal! Ray.

Comment

I remember being a kid...but did not pick a favorite in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            For many years big fights always took place on Monday nights.
            why they stop doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
              why they stop doing it?
              I'm sure it has to do with money. They probably were convinced that people wouldn't spend their Saturday evenings at the fights. For many years the Academy Awards were on Monday too, but now they are on Sunday every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                I'm sure it has to do with money. They probably were convinced that people wouldn't spend their Saturday evenings at the fights. For many years the Academy Awards were on Monday too, but now they are on Sunday every year.
                Good point...

Comment

Working...
                X