Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closing your fists at impact ridiculous if fast?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing your fists at impact ridiculous if fast?

Its ok if you punch like Glovkin ie you have plenty of time to tighten your fist at impact but if you are much faster theres no way you can grip at impact on each punch of a combo for example. Surely? Theres just no time to be that precise and do that much?

Also I find when I tighten my fist at impact even right at impact I find it makes the strike more pushy and takes the edge off the concussivness it just seems to make it more pushy and less of an impact.

Lastly it does also add something it adds a boost but at a cost to the purity of teh power ie the impact im not sure if I should do it or not. Or if im doing it wrong

Whats your experience of tensing at impact?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Its ok if you punch like Glovkin ie you have plenty of time to tighten your fist at impact but if you are much faster theres no way you can grip at impact on each punch of a combo for example. Surely? Theres just no time to be that precise and do that much?

Also I find when I tighten my fist at impact even right at impact I find it makes the strike more pushy and takes the edge off the concussivness it just seems to make it more pushy and less of an impact.

Lastly it does also add something it adds a boost but at a cost to the purity of teh power ie the impact im not sure if I should do it or not. Or if im doing it wrong

You should try to twist your punch as your punching to give it snap. The other thing you want to do is keep your punch clenched tightly but not too tightly the entire way. Practice in front of a mirror. The other thing that will greatly improve punching power is to do knuckle pushups(with hands wrapped)& with a 25 lb weight on your back.

If you lift weights you also want to do what is known as pyramids while doing curls with medium weight. Pyramids are where you slowly add & subtract weights from the bar after certain amount of reps. Lastly you want to practice hitting a bag while screaming til your stomache empties as your hitting the bag or pads.(it builds power as well)twist as you punch & add leverage with your body
    Last edited by kushking; 05-17-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
      You should try to twist your punch as your punching to give it snap. The other thing you want to do is keep your punch clenched tightly but not too tightly the entire way. Practice in front of a mirror. The other thing that will greatly improve punching power is to do knuckle pushups(with hands wrapped)& with a 25 lb weight on your back.

If you lift weights you also want to do what is known as pyramids while doing curls with medium weight. Pyramids are where you slowly add & subtract weights from the bar after certain amount of reps. Lastly you want to practice hitting a bag while screaming til your stomache empties as your hitting the bag or pads.(it builds power as well)twist as you punch & add leverage with your body
      trolololol xD

Comment

trolololol xD
        I was not trolling you even if it seemed like I am. All the tips I have given are things I used to do when I trained alongside fighters that have actually gone pro & achieved moderate success. I used to spar/train with a friend that went pro named rocco (who was also gg champ)& another named Micheal Bentley that was golden gloves champ & went pro for 1 fight as well. http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/518560

It might have sounded like the screaming thing is bs but its not, ideally youd want to do it while hitting the torso pads your trainer wears. Go to YouTube & look up "canelo training" & you'll see that he uses the same exact technique.

Comment

Punch with a 10lb weight in each hand at eye level.
          It will get you in the habit of clenching your fist from start to finish.
          Don't punch full force or you will mess up your shoulder
          Been doing this exercise since I was a teen & it works.

Comment

I remember Emmanuel Stewart, may he rest in peace, talking about this, but I personally never had success with it either. I did tighten my fists before throwing punches and felt this improved power, but I never mastered doing it just before impact.

Comment

I suppose you can get it down unconsciously and then you dont have to "do it" but seems very difficult if you are fast, but it gives this very pushy extra power and it feels less concussive but still nasty im not sure if its worth adding or not or if Im doing it wrong
              Last edited by AlexKid; 05-18-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Your fists should always be somewhat loose in your guard, and you tighten on/just before impact when throwing any punch. Its just something you have to practice, and practice becoming aware of.
                I was always very tight in my fists/shoulders/traps/neck in the beginning and it definitely negatively affected my speed.
                Its something I have tried to be aware of during every session on the mitts (making sure my fists and upper body are as loose as possible) and practicing the clenching/closing movement with each punch.

Its definitely possible to do it on every punch in a combination regardless of the length of said combo, once you have become aware and practiced it enough. Eventually it becomes second nature. At the beginning of the punch the hand is loose, it tightens basically on/right before impact, and immediately after each punch the hand loosens again which increases your speed in bringing the hand back to your face/into your guard and increases the hand speed when throwing the initial punch.

I think in the beginning having the gloves on would make me sort of tighten up the fist (like holding a stress ball or something), but through practice you learn to hold the hand loose in there. Its especially easy to practice when shadow boxing. Think of it like reaching out and grabbing quarters out of someones hand or grabbing something falling through the air (loose fist at beginning, tight fist upon full extension when grabbing the object, and the fist is loose again by the time its back to the start position).

Comment

I make a fist on impact but i tend not to tense it, just a light fist no squeezing unless im throwing power shots.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                    Your fists should always be somewhat loose in your guard, and you tighten on/just before impact when throwing any punch. Its just something you have to practice, and practice becoming aware of.
                    I was always very tight in my fists/shoulders/traps/neck in the beginning and it definitely negatively affected my speed.
                    Its something I have tried to be aware of during every session on the mitts (making sure my fists and upper body are as loose as possible) and practicing the clenching/closing movement with each punch.

Its definitely possible to do it on every punch in a combination regardless of the length of said combo, once you have become aware and practiced it enough. Eventually it becomes second nature. At the beginning of the punch the hand is loose, it tightens basically on/right before impact, and immediately after each punch the hand loosens again which increases your speed in bringing the hand back to your face/into your guard and increases the hand speed when throwing the initial punch.

I think in the beginning having the gloves on would make me sort of tighten up the fist (like holding a stress ball or something), but through practice you learn to hold the hand loose in there. Its especially easy to practice when shadow boxing. Think of it like reaching out and grabbing quarters out of someones hand or grabbing something falling through the air (loose fist at beginning, tight fist upon full extension when grabbing the object, and the fist is loose again by the time its back to the start position).
                    awesome training tips thanks brother!!!
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 05-20-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X