No announcement yet.

Got some good sparring to study

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    Just get your face out of the way. When this guy attacks put your hands up and get low.

Have you ever heard of a feint?

Let me guess, you are a Canadian or are from Europe.

You're standing straight up while attacking, you have absolutely no power in anything standing as you do. Get down and dig......Rockin'
    I see what you mean

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    I just watched the 2nd video and you looked better. When you get tangled up with a guy get low. You got tangled up and you tried to push him away from you but you were the only one moving back. If you were low than you would have leverage and you would have moved him instead of pushing yourself back. Know what I mean? How much time passed between these 2 videos? You did better...…….Rockin'
    Yeah got it.
    This video was actually taken directly after the first video. Someone told me that im fighting and having my weight on my backfoot too much. Do you think that might be one of the reasons I throw shots with nothing behind them, that can make him dodge with ease?
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Mamo; 04-13-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
      Quit saying your slow and work on your hand speed. I see some snap in your jab once in awhile, that is something to build on. Learn how to throw a power shot with more intention. Speed and power. Get your self in top physical shape to be quicker and stonger
      I see what you mean. I feel pretty weak, especially my legs and shoulders so I need to work more strength. I dont think 64kg is for me

Comment

From the video it seems your sparring partner has a lot more experience than you. You're still young, don't sweat it. Be patient and work at it and you will improve no end. I could see you were moving well and trying to keep a distance, which is good. One thing I will say, you have very long arms, if you focus on perfecting your jab you will be able to work a lot of other punches off of it.

Comment

Also, I could see you were throwing the right hand with an emphasis on accuracy and in the amateurs that's good, because it's a scoring punch. But it doesn't hurt to put a bit of power behind it. I'd like to see you hitting a bag or pads and turning a proper right hand over.

Comment

You won the second spar by DQ after that other lad tried to break your arm, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
              From the video it seems your sparring partner has a lot more experience than you. You're still young, don't sweat it. Be patient and work at it and you will improve no end. I could see you were moving well and trying to keep a distance, which is good. One thing I will say, you have very long arms, if you focus on perfecting your jab you will be able to work a lot of other punches off of it.
              Yeah he has 8 fights, I have 0.

Also, I could see you were throwing the right hand with an emphasis on accuracy and in the amateurs that's good, because it's a scoring punch. But it doesn't hurt to put a bit of power behind it. I'd like to see you hitting a bag or pads and turning a proper right hand over.
              I see.. I'll probably post some padwork but you can find a video of my working the bag in my previous threads. Thanks for the feedback!

You won the second spar by DQ after that other lad tried to break your arm, by the way.
              Hahaha

Comment

hahahahahahahaa

Comment

Originally posted by Mamo View Post
                  I see what you mean

Yeah got it.
                  This video was actually taken directly after the first video. Someone told me that im fighting and having my weight on my backfoot too much. Do you think that might be one of the reasons I throw shots with nothing behind them, that can make him dodge with ease?
                  Thanks for the feedback.
                  Your weight should be centered directly below your balls. With your weight on your back foot if you have to step back in a hurry than you have to first get the weight off of the foot, and by then you are all ready eating leather. You are good to attack like that but over aggression is tough. Center your weight, then you are prepared to do whatever is needed, in an instant. And when you are in an exchange, git down and dig!! And if the guy is getting out of the way of your shots than dig his body. That **** comes in handy come the third round..…..Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 04-17-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

You need to do hundreds and hundreds of snap push-ups.
                    Don't even spar for a month.
                    Technically, your footwork and stance need a lot of work.
                    And you have zero head movement.
                    You also only have the basic arsenal of one-two. Nothing else.
                    You can't counter hook or check hook.

Comment

The fundamental problem that's causing multiple, smaller problems is that your stance is too wide. This will cause you to have zero pop on your punches (because power starts in the legs but your legs can't generate power when they're wide like that), poor movement, lets your opponent read exactly what you can and can't do since your posture is limiting your options.

Focus on keeping a proper stance. It will be a slow process, but you'll find your movement improving, explosiveness developing, etc. It's common for tall guys to have this problem when starting out (I did) because you have those long legs and it seems easy to use them to just just lean where you need to go. So, understand what's happening and re-train yourself. Do a lot of footwork drills and be actively thinking about the width of your stance during sparring.

When I got my feet correct, my power went through the roof. I haven't been training a ton lately but I had a trainer the other day, a really stocky, muscular guy, hold a large striking pad for me. First jab sent it into his face and he said he was shocked at how much power I had for someone with a fairly lean frame. It's ALL in the form.
                      Last edited by Redd Foxx; 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X